Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gaming TV Programme

Options
  • 22-08-2006 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

We are currently looking at the possibility of doing an Irish TV Gaming programme and are currently at brainstorming stage. As you guys are also gamers, like myself, i was wondering if there was anything you would like to see included in teh programme and also if there is anything you dont want to see included.
    If you could post your comments it would be of great help, also drop us a PM if you would be interested in taking part in any multiplayer challenges on the programme.

Thanks

Fatherted9t9:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

When you say "we", who do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Please try to include more than just playstation games. PC multiplayer especially! Also, watch any past episode of Gamezville, and ensure you don't do ANYTHING they did ;)

Speaking of gamezville, that brings me to their "games guru", i.e. some terrible actor with junkie-style makup and a cloak. No thanks.

Old gaming shows used to have cheats segments (see games guru above). I wouldn't bother with these any more, as such information is easily got on demand from the internet anyway.

Reviews and previews with footage/trailers of upcoming games would be nice. The kind of stuff they have on eurogamer.tv. Maybe something covering mods (for example, Fortress Forever, an independently developed Team Fortress mod for Half-Life 2 that will be going head to head with Valve's own Team Fortress 2) and other free games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd steer clear of having gaming challenges on it... I've always found it really boring to watch people playing a video game on TV... but if you are going to do it then let the camera stay on the game and not on some sweaty teenager with a furrowed brow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Don't ignore Nintendo as a legitimate games company. It really bugs me when people just focus on Sony and MS. Nintendo have tonnes of brilliant titles out and an innovative new handheld that is loved my people of all ages. It seems a lot of magazines tend to ignore Nintendo completely which is a shame. It sells a lot better than the PSP. Just because the graphics don't look totally realistic and the games aren't full of blood doesn't mean anything. The games are fun and a hell of a lot more original than the majority of titles for the PSP and I thought gaming was about fun, not graphics and topping the last title in terms of violent content?

/end rant

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    When you say "we", who do you mean?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, i agree with all that has been said above!

Reactor i cant say at this time who "WE" are but i will when the green light goes ahead.

ft9t9

• Advertisement

Be sure to watch lots of Consolevania.

Their way of reviewing games is great... a very nice frank style and they just show the game with the reviewers voice over it.

What people want to see are the games and I think that's a point that most shows seem to miss. It's also the main advantage that TV has over print and web based reviews. TV that it can show us the gameplay in action. Sure you can download gameplay videos over the net, but even with broadband it can be time consuming to get a decent quality of video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I think that you should most definitely NOT have dodgy actors of any description. It was painful to watch that Games Guru, Cringing fest!

Also, somebody up there was talking about online pc gaming. Alot of people wouldn't be interested in that so you can't have a lot about just that. It needs to be varied. Although, i did like that section on Gamezville with the free games. People would post in links to good free games. I liked that.

Sounds good, And remember. I gave advice so be sure to send me lots of free stuff when it hits the big time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Do it like that games show that used to be on at 4am, it just had some graphics to join together filmed segments and only had a narrator. In doing so, the makers of that show:

a) saved alot of money (no sets, no presenters, no 12 year old brats)

b) avoided the "naff-factor" that so many games shows seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Also alot of gamer tv shows toned down on the rated r games, this kinda annoyed me i know your gonna have to look out for critics but honestly there are alot of gamers who love Doom, GTA and other controvertial games out there.

o yeah also does anyone remember a gamer tv showe that had 3 hot women as the presenters, it would be on at like 2 am.. That was good

Do it like that games show that used to be on at 4am, it just had some graphics to join together filmed segments and only had a narrator. In doing so, the makers of that show:
    That was Cybernet. Yes it was a very watchable show... although I only watched it when they had Lucy Longhurst doing the voice over.. she sounded sexy... the guy who took over after her sounded like a sleazy used car salesman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

stay away from gaming challenges. They are terrible TV. The commentary on them is so brutal.

DO NOT AIM IT AT KIDS is my number one tip. The demographic for gaming is quite old definitely aim it at 18 year old plus. Obviously you don't want to cut off kids (don't make it violent/ have it on too late etc) as an audience but do not speak to the viewer as if they are 12.

EDIT: you can review GTA games without showing an violent material. DO it pulp fiction style cut away just at the last second. It gives the impression of being very violent without showing that much gore

What can a gaming TV show offer.
    news..new games, consoles, developers, irish release dates for games on all consoles etc

reviews..Irish people travelling to all the press shows E3 etc (happening already online) and giving us solid reviews

gossip...just general gaming gossip and market info, stuff that has not been confirmed but is floating around

competitions...not on the show itself as these are terrible to watch, maybe death matches on xbox live. people post in their memory cards with their best laps or level times/scores and win prizes. Pro EVo Soccer leagues on the net where tables are updated every week on the show. The key here is to keep the matches/games off the tv but post the results ever week and show clips of the games. Obviously the prizes would have to be class. Like a paid trip to go to E3 with you guys next year etc.

advice on how people in Ireland can get involved in an Irish gaming scene....tell people where they can go to college if they want to design, market or be a games reviewer for a magazine. Interview Irish people who have done it.

The problems you are facing is that you are fighting against the internet. Most of us get our news and reviews on the net. So you would have to give the show a "Top Gear" quality. The show is very well produced with interesting hosts(some of them are not well liked JC). People who don't especially like cars would watch that show because it is funny and interesting. They don't just review a car, they drive it to the top of a mountain or race it across a continent. You could force people to play games for 24hrs and see if they still liked it or would play it ever again.

Don't be afraid to let the hosts express differing opinions on games as this is where a real review of a game can come out.

If you have never watched the 1up show, go and download some of the episodes where Che is still in them.

Ok there are my 2 cents. People may criticise my views but if you make a show like above i would watch it and subscribe to your newsletters as i'd like to learn more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Vegeta speaks the truth. I'd watch his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I'd steer clear of having gaming challenges on it... I've always found it really boring to watch people playing a video game on TV... but if you are going to do it then let the camera stay on the game and not on some sweaty teenager with a furrowed brow.

this is true, but if the challenges are kept short and in the background (start a PES tourney, go off and continue the show, come back later and do a "best goals" or something, that idea) it could work.

also, and maybe i'm asking too much of what will most likely be an entertainment show, maybe some sort of actual discussion about the state of the industry? rather then just doing each show on a "GTA gets 9/10, yay" note etc., try discussing violence in videogames with some "experts"...

..also, ireland's doing well now, we have companies like havok over here, why not pay them a visit for bits?

and in november DIT is hosting some games conference... go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

my main points would be.

1) do not aim it at kids.

2) 80% of the show should be taken up with game footage/trailers. Thats what people want to SEE!

3) Dont rush reviews, specially for big games. Show plenty of footage, 5-10 minutes.

4) Dont be biased to any one console.

5) No cheats section/ gamer challenges, they are not entertaining to watch.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Anyone remember movies/games/videos that was on ITV a few years back. No studio, no set. Just footage and voice/text overs. I liked this style.

Also if i see two 13 year olds competing against each other in a beat em up i'll hunt you down - no one cares.

Although many here want more and more PC games if you are to appeal to the casual gamers (which out number hardcore PC gamers) then you will need to emphasise consoles.

A decent news section is required too - annoucements, screen shots, reports from shows etc would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Something I'd suggest would be to become involved with the local game scene in Ireland and have segments / reports on it. Lan's, game competitions etc... would make it more interesting and would possibly make people feel more involved in an actual social gaming scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

weedhead wrote:
    o yeah also does anyone remember a gamer tv showe that had 3 hot women as the presenters, it would be on at like 2 am.. That was good

that was Bits with Alex and others
    definitely a one hand on the mouse and the other on my joystick fnarr fnarr! ;)
    maybe go and talk to some people that are doing games courses in colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

You could try having a different person covering each console? That way you could choose people with a genuine enthusiasm for each.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Keep it as console neutral as possible, don't simply focus on Sony, MS or Ninty.
    Also don't allow EA or their ilk to hijack on screen time due to their "co-operation" with supplying games and information, try and give equal time to as many games as possible, keep away from seeing kids play each other at Tekken. Nothing more boring than wasting screen time watching other folk play games.
    Plenty of preview material, internet is a hive of info of whats on the way, great way to keep folk interested, to get scoops ahead of the print media.
    Gamer TV is an excellent template on TV at the mo, and Digitiser showed how to treat your audience with a modicum of humour and respect.
    Stay Away From Fanboys, I'll say it again, Stay Away From Fanboys, they just make me reach for the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

superfly wrote:
    that was Bits with Alex and others
    definitely a one hand on the mouse and the other on my joystick fnarr fnarr! ;)
    maybe go and talk to some people that are doing games courses in colleges

Yeah that was probably it, i cant seem to find anything on the web on it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

I wouldn't mind a 'challenge' thing, but only if it featured genuinely good players, not useless teenagers who think hiding in a corner and punching/shooting is a brilliant tactic. A decent match between skillful players can be pretty good to watch, especially on a modern beat-em-up.

Also, more informative game reviews, less irritating hosts who think they're funny or too good to be on the show. *glares at Dominik Diamond and that guy off Thumb Bandits*. Ideally they'd be people more interested in gaming than getting their face on TV.
    Less overlong,only slightly game-related 'features' that give the hosts an excuse to go on holidays.
    Coverage of the Japanese gaming scene would be nice. Their games tend to be more visually distinctive and arresting than the standard 'Everything is laminated' look of western games. Could work in a visual medium like television.
    Above all, treat your audience like adults, even when they're not. Don't patronise them by explaining everything as if to a four-year old, or by hopelessly trying to be 'dahwn wiv da kidz'. Don't assume they're all spotty teenagers who sweat when they see a girl and think 'c0ck' is the funniest word in the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

a retro section wouldnt go amiss.

I dont mean to brag about old games. There are alot of genuine entertaining or interesting tales of stupidty/genius/horror from gaming history that could be good to fill up the last five minutes.

When your doing the bit about atari jaguar come back here to give us a heads up :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    When your doing the bit about atari jaguar come back here to give us a heads up :D

Don't you mean the series about atari jaguar?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well i was going to do the series about atari jaguar...but i was thinking of doing it a bit like Night Rider...

with Colin Farrell as the voice of atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Hi Guys again, thanks for all the suggestions, a good sign of things is that we have already taken most of the suggestions on board from previous meetings, so it shows that we are on the right wavelength!

Really appreciate all the help and when it goes to air, we will give ya all a big shout out!

ft9t9

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

and in november DIT is hosting some games conference... go!

http://www.comp.dit.ie/cgames/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Eurogamer had an interesting article about gaming TV by one of the Consolevania guys yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Anyone remember the irish game show that used to be on network 2 ? God it was awfull and full of 20/30 year old hosts that made me cringe everytime they tried to talk like they where some cool kids and knew loads about games when they obviously didnt. Heres a hint get a copy of that show and do the exact opposite of everything they did. And rip off consolevania.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Cybernet was cool.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dont exclude PC gamers!

Maybe have a small Tech section about new technology,
    How to tune your PC,
    how to upgrade your PC,
    game mods,
    free games,
    server of the week,

Maybe even have a dedicated games server so you can run proper competitions that arent broadcast and just announce winners or show highlights of the match
    have a forum and a website where people can exchane Xfire usernames, Xbox liver usernames.....

Have podcasts and video reviews on your website...

Have genuine gamers as presenters, NOT crap actors reading from a script, make the show as live and genuine as possible...

Announce lans, show up at lans....

Good luck, I cant wait to see the show:)

Advertisement