Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm: Change Battery

Options
  • 26-02-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

HI,
    i've an Astec System House Alarm. On the display it says low battery, replace, call engineer...
    Is there any chance I can do it myself? If so where are the batteries?
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the battery is a big long one , it will be in the main panel,
    changing it is easy you just unclip two cables and change old for new and replace the cables, your alarm will go off while your doing it, if the guy who put the system in did it for you then he'd put the panel in engineering mode so that it would not go off. I would take about 2 min if you had the right battery , your main panel would be a box about 100x50x250 mm. should be under the stairs, the hot press, beside the fuseboard or the attic usually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lorenzo

Thanks Stoner,
    found the box, it is the size you told me and in the place you told me. Now... where do i get a battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

any electrical distributor should stock them...I replaced mine 2 weeks ago. Lucky for me I had the engineering code, otherwise get some blu tack and cover the sounder of the internal bell while you change the battery.
    Actually, not needed if you know what breaker to trip to kill the power to the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Same things has happened on my alarm. Anyone know anywhere in South Dublin I can get a replacement battery for an Aritech CS350?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Same happened to me on an a Aritech system. After I replaced the battery the alarm wouldn't set got code error no. 99. Called an engineer and he got the engineer code of the guy who installed it and reset the fault. 25minutes work lightened my pocket by €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I changed the battery on my Aritech CS350 and had no problems at all. Don't where in dublin you would get a replacement but got one down here in Cork in an house alarm retailer so i would imagine t'would be the same up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

jaggiebunet, did the alarm go off while you were changing the battery? I looked at it last night to check what type of battery it was and the alarm went off. I replaced the front panel but now the alarm won't set as it is saying open zone, tamper. Is there something I have to resent before it will work again. I don't know the engineers code for the keypad. Can anyone help?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lockster wrote:
    jaggiebunet, did the alarm go off while you were changing the battery? I looked at it last night to check what type of battery it was and the alarm went off. I replaced the front panel but now the alarm won't set as it is saying open zone, tamper. Is there something I have to resent before it will work again. I don't know the engineers code for the keypad. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    sounds like the main panel tamper switch is just not being pushed back. Get yourself some blu tack, cover the internal bell sounder, and take the cover off. Double check the tamper switch & spring are intact and it will get pushed back in when the cover is put on.

While you're at it, you might as well just change the battery. Go into Best Alarms in Crumlin and they'll have what you need. Get the slimline battery for the CS350 panel as its quicker to fit & less cumbersome than the bigger ones.

Try 1234 for the engineers code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Replacing a battery in an Astec is a pita. It has to be the worst design ever.
    Your standard battery will not do here as it will not fit. The astec battery is a long skinny 12v 2.2ah battery. It rests in a recess in behind the main circuit board. You need to remove the board to do this. Also by doing this you void the warranty as you have to remove the warranty sticker to do it.
    Just ask you local wholesaler for a battery for an astec. It roughly measures 65mm X 35mm X 175mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Quite often you will find the engineer code is printed on the alarm panel circuit board. It will still go off while you open it up to look for the code but once you have it you can work in silence.

How old is the alarm? The batteries are quite big for the job they do and they should be kept charged as long as there's mains power to the board. If the system is less than 4 years old I'd be wondering why the battery is draining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 gor

Lockster wrote:
    Same things has happened on my alarm. Anyone know anywhere in South Dublin I can get a replacement battery for an Aritech CS350?

Thanks

not quite st. dublin but maplins off mary st do alarm batteries, www.maplins.co.uk.

You could visit action alarms in dundrum village to see if they'd see you one over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

gor wrote: »
    not quite st. dublin but maplins off mary st do alarm batteries, www.maplins.co.uk.

You could visit action alarms in dundrum village to see if they'd see you one over the counter.

Had the same issue on my Aritech CS350 and got a replacement battery for 14 euros in T o'Reillys in Blanchardstown. They have 6 locations listed on their website http://www.tores.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Hi all I have had a similer problem i got a new battery changed it in the main pannel box and nothing happened:confused: cheaked all cables into the battery all looks fine any ideas im thinkig the battery is faulty?There is nothing even comming up on the key pad just everyting is dead. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Hi Fox007,

If the keypads are not even lighting up then you may have lost your main power to the alarm unit whereby the battery would never recharge. I would check the main fuse panel and see that you have at least power to the alarm panel in the first place ;)

On mine all the leads to the battery were oxidised as the panel was in the unitity room where there was a washer/dryer without any adequate ventilation. I cleaned them off before attaching. It didn't clear the alarm immediately but as soon as the mains recharged the battery then I was off on a hack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tommy Burns

Does anyone know where the tamper switch on the cs350 can be found or even what it looks like? I'm having trouble with the tamper error. Also when I took the panel off there was a grey plastic decise in the cover any ideas what this is.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭altor

Does anyone know where the tamper switch on the cs350 can be found or even what it looks like? I'm having trouble with the tamper error. Also when I took the panel off there was a grey plastic decise in the cover any ideas what this is.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tommy,

There is a spring on the board that when you close the panel lid it closes the tamper. With regards the device inside the panel it could be a sound bomb e.g the internal siren. Check if it is wired to point 6 + 7 on the board if it is, thats what it is.

Hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Hello all,

My secure watch HKC alarm in indicating a low battery. Is it a standard battery for these alarms:confused: And are there any guides online on how to replace them.

Thanks
    Joe

Hello all,

My secure watch HKC alarm in indicating a low battery. Is it a standard battery for these alarms:confused: And are there any guides online on how to replace them.

Thanks
    Joe

Hi joe,

You need a 12v 7ah replacement battery. It is easy enough to replace this.
    Turn off the mains power first, cant be to careful, open panel, take out old battery and replace with new one making sure to put red to red and black to black. Close up panel, enter user code and that should be it..

Hope this helps,
    Any problems, let me know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

altor wrote: »
    Hi joe,

You need a 12v 7ah replacement battery. It is easy enough to replace this.
    Turn off the mains power first, cant be to careful, open panel, take out old battery and replace with new one making sure to put red to red and black to black. Close up panel, enter user code and that should be it..

Hope this helps,
    Any problems, let me know..

Thanks altor, ill look into it

Thanks altor, ill look into it

Your welcome Joe, always here to help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭stephan7527

Is there any one still working this site

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭dodzy

5 year thread revival. Lovely.

What's your problem?