Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cost of "delivery and related charges" on new cars

Options
  • 22-02-2006 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

A complete numpty question for you all. I'm thinking of upgrading to a new car (probably a focus or megane or something similar). All the prices online say the famous "delivery and related chaarges extra". Just so I get an idea what I can afford, roughly how much do these come to? Also, how much point is there in trying to bargain on a new car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

usually between €300 and €400

absolutely bargain on a new car!

What car are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm thinking in a price range rather than a particular car. Hoping to keep it in and around 20k. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah i got a golf and they said something like 400-450 for delivery and other charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

The harsh truth is one devilery = 10ish cars on a transporter. Cost is €600 or so for the 10 but they charge 400-600 on every car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

roughly speak. How much over the base price is the salesman/woman likely to quote me when (s)he sees a middle aged, blonde woman walking into the showroom? 1%, 5%....?

Sorry for being so clueless. I've rewired the house, installed a new bathroom and can understand einsteins theory or relativity. Cars are something I've just never had the time to sit down and figure out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ford costs €500 for delivery, pre delivery inspection, degreasing, and number plates.

If you are a cash buyer (no trade in) you will get a straight deal, and the amount off list depends on the make and model.

I reckon 5%+ is a decent benchmark.

Some marques discount more heavily, simply because they have to. It reflects in their retained values after a year or two however.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A complete numpty question for you all. I'm thinking of upgrading to a new car (probably a focus or megane or something similar). All the prices online say the famous "delivery and related chaarges extra". Just so I get an idea what I can afford, roughly how much do these come to? Also, how much point is there in trying to bargain on a new car?

First of all only use the recommended retail prices on the web as a rough guide. What you need to do is either phone or call into the dealers and seek the sticker price of the car, ie the price on the windscreen. This price will include both delivery charges and metalic/pearl paint (most cars come in metalic or pearl these days except one or two colours, white being one). The online price doesn't include these items.

To answer your question, delivery related charges can vary from dealer to dealer but the maximum cost is around €500. Metalic or pearl paint finish can cost up to another €500 depending on the particular make of car.

If buying with a straight cash deal (no old car to trade in) then you should expect about 7% - 8% discount off the sticker price. Haggle them down a bit more, don't except the first price they give you. If you are not happy with their price don't be afraid to walk away and go to another dealership.

Best of luck.

Advertisement