Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get your tax checked, you could be owed money

• 18-02-2006 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

For those of you out there that don't know this, you can e-mail your local paye/tax office and ask them to check your taxes back as far as 2002(P21 balancing statement) then they will send you out a balancing statement and if they owe you money a check will come before the statement.

Use this link to fine the e-mail address of your loacal tax office, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "Open Contact Locator:
    Click here to use our Contact Locator." and just type in your pps number.
    http://www.revenue.ie/locator2.htm#

And e-mail them giving your pps number saying you want your taxes checked from 2002 till the present day, they will not go past 2002 as they are "statue barred" whatever the hell that means, but if you want you can invoke the "data protection act" to get records previous to 2002 if they have them.I am currently trying to get these records for myself so i will let you know what happens.

I did this and I got 4,000 euro back:eek: (new car for me..woohoo) 1,400 of that was for 2005 alone, the robbing so and so's.

So do it, you could be owed some cash.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Enter your PPS here - https://www.revenue.ie/wiclo/details.jsp

So you just emailed them, how long did it take to reply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

zabbo wrote:
    Enter your PPS here - https://www.revenue.ie/wiclo/details.jsp

So you just emailed them, how long did it take to reply?
    That didn't really work for me. I got my orinal PPS number when I lived in Meath and that's the office the locator pulled up for me but I now live and work in Dublin. Any ideas?

You'll need to apply to the location registered with your PPS which is still your old address. Give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

zabbo wrote:
    You'll need to apply to the location registered with your PPS which is still your old address. Give it a go.
    But any tax queries I've had in the last few years, I've had to contact Mount Street (I think it was) in Dublin City Centre. Very confusing. I don't reckon I'm owed anything back but I could be pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

People should also note that you could also owe them money. I had to apply for one of these and ended up they wanted money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Just did it there. Hopefully wont be owing any money. Have been living off stamps for about 10 months there and just started back to work about a month ago so dont know how that would work out. Cant believe that they owed you 1400 for 1 year though!
    How handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

4K!! How the hell did that happen?

Is it a mistake on your employer's part.
    Did you sibmit any additional claims (refuse allowance etc...)

Did they give you a breakdown on how they arrived at that figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Kingmaker

Could you post a draft of the e-mail you sent to them?

Just worried I may not get the wording right- you obviously did!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's worth having a quick glance over P60's and the like, especially if you work on a part-time or erratic basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Alright lads i just sent mine off heres hoping i get something back...

Anybody have an idea of the time frame involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just sent mine off as well. Fingers crossed I don't owe any money at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

me too,

just wondering if you got a reply from the email to say they were processing. I didn't, should I expect 1?
    I'm tempted to ring up just to be sure! :D

Ye i still havent heard anything confirming if its been accepted or not...

Think ill give it till the end of the week then ring up and ask if the application has been recieved!

Hoping i dont owe any money!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know for a fact that if I get one of these checks, I'll owe them €200, so I'm not going to :)
    A previous employer of mine failed to deduct the correct amount of tax during the 6 weeks I worked for them.

seamus wrote:
    I know for a fact that if I get one of these checks, I'll owe them €200, so I'm not going to :)
    A previous employer of mine failed to deduct the correct amount of tax during the 6 weeks I worked for them.

But since the check goes all the way back to 2002 you might get more than you'll lose maybe your owed 500 so you'll get 300 in total!!!

Though on the other hand 200 is a big enough risk on pure chance alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭juddd

Okay, first of all, if you have just started a job,dont bother until you have been there for a year at least, wait until after feb 15th so you dont have to give in your p60. but if you have started a new job i suppose it wont hurt to have the previous years checked.
    I am a single man on 41% tax per week and I claim no benefits from the tax man, and for some reason i was being overcharged 30-40 euro per week???

You should get a reply by email within the week and after that it will take 3 or 4 days to receive anything owed,depending on the county you live in, so just be patient.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just got me an email from them and I am owed a massive 328 euro, better than kick in the whole!! Cheers lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Kingmaker wrote:
    Could you post a draft of the e-mail you sent to them?

Just worried I may not get the wording right- you obviously did!!!:)

Hi, could someone post a draft please?

yop wrote:
    Just got me an email from them and I am owed a massive 328 euro, better than kick in the whole!! Cheers lad

Hi YOP,

When did you send the email in?

And did you use any specific format?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

seamus wrote:
    Now what was that tipster number that the revenue have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

been doing this for years.

full time student working 20 hrs a week and i get between 1200 and 1700euro back every year since i started college

always a nice little chunk of change

been doing this for years.

full time student working 20 hrs a week and i get between 1200 and 1700euro back every year since i started college

always a nice little chunk of change

You lucky B$$tard!!! I wish i had known this years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just done it there myself, and I have to claim tax back in anyways, I done a course in november - december and I am told that I am entitled to claim back on this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

aaf wrote:
    But any tax queries I've had in the last few years, I've had to contact Mount Street (I think it was) in Dublin City Centre. Very confusing.
    I believe the Revenue offices have changed from being employer-centric to employee-centric. No longer will one office deal with everyone from one company but rather it's based on where you live.

Maybe they figure that most people change jobs more frequently than employers.

Sent my email monaghan, and no reply yet, tried to follow it up with the local office, but they fobbed me off with the PAYE helpline 1890 777425 which only opens in the morning.

My email just enquired about any outstanding tax to be paid or owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

just emailed them there, fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I faxed my P60 off a few years ago and got about a grand back :D
    Im sure im owed a fair bit now.. though i cant be sure.. years ago someone did an Excel calculator to tell you if you are owed or owe money.. worked years ago (maybe 2002) I still have it but not sure if it is still valid.. it says im owed a fair bit though. :D Will have to try.. this online procedure seems easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

just emailed now too, hopefully something comes of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sent an email aswell. I know I am definitely owed a few hundred euro from last year, I just havent had time to send in my p60 so if this works it'll be very handy indeed. Cheers for advice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Email sent! Fingers crossed i dont owe anything as i work 2 jobs and pay emergency tax on the other past 4 months as i didnt sort my tax credits!!

Lads i emailed two days ago and havent heard anything just wondering whats the turn around for a reply email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When you get the money back do they detail the errors? is it the employer or tax office or emergency tax or something? Are people well under the higher rate getting stung for bonuses on single weeks and having it spread out later? i.e. you are on 22K so taxed at the lower rate, but get a one off payment of 5k which is taxed highly, whereas if you got 27k spread evenly it is all lower tax.

What are the common reasons? is there any online calculator. I get no real bonuses or overtime etc so do not think I have anything due. I would like to check if I owe anything before trying out though.

Here's what I got back

"I Have reviewed your income tax liability for the years 2002 2003 and 2004. PAYE Balancing Statements (Forms P21) will issue to you shortly. To enable me review 2005 please forward your Form P60 for the year ended 31/2/2005."

So have to forward P60 for last years review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I sent an email yesterday. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting anything back or owe them anything but no harm in trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Red Dave,

I got the exact same message:
    Hello,

I have reviewed your Income Tax liability for the years 2002 2003 and 2004.
    PAYE Balancing statements (Forms P21) for these years will issue to you
    shortly. To enable me check 2005 please forward your Form P60 (which you
    should have received from your employer) for the year ended 31/12/2005.

Who do you send them to, they never gave an address to post them or even a reference number..

• Advertisement

Did they not have their name at the bottom of their email? Just send it to your local tax office for their attention.

d-redser wrote:
    Red Dave,

I got the exact same message:
    Hello,

I have reviewed your Income Tax liability for the years 2002 2003 and 2004.
    PAYE Balancing statements (Forms P21) for these years will issue to you
    shortly. To enable me check 2005 please forward your Form P60 (which you
    should have received from your employer) for the year ended 31/12/2005.

Who do you send them to, they never gave an address to post them or even a reference number..

When you enter your PPS number here https://www.revenue.ie/wiclo/details.jsp it comes up with what should be your local office. Under the email address it has seperate box with the postal address.

petes wrote:
    Did they not have their name at the bottom of their email? Just send it to your local tax office for their attention.

No, there was no contact name it just had the email address from the regional office.
    There was no
    "Kind regards,
    The Taxman" :(

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yep just got the same email myself. Pretty annoyed I have to go to all the effort of posting off my p60 now. Why isnt there some sort of automatic system where by if your owed any money from the previous tax year they just post you a check!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭juddd

red dave wrote:
    Here's what I got back

"I Have reviewed your income tax liability for the years 2002 2003 and 2004. PAYE Balancing Statements (Forms P21) will issue to you shortly. To enable me review 2005 please forward your Form P60 for the year ended 31/2/2005????."

So have to forward P60 for last years review

People, you do not have to send in a p60 for last year if your job has sent in their p35, all p35's have to be sent in by your employer before feb 15th if not they get fined, how do you think they are able to check your taxes for 2002 to 2004 without a copy of your p60?????????????????

If they still demand a copy of your p60 they will accept a scanned copy of it by email, never send in your original copy!!!!!!!
    because you wont get it back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Just got an email this morning to say my email i sent 2 days ago has been forwarded on the the correct person to deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

eoin_s wrote:
    Hi, could someone post a draft please?
    yes please could someone post a draft or pm me one. Never really good at writing letters for important things :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

Ah Juddd. If this works I owe you a beer. Just sent my mail off. I'll follow up here with whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

anyone having trouble getting into that link yet?

timeout wrote:
    yes please could someone post a draft or pm me one. Never really good at writing letters for important things :D

Hello,
    Can you please check my taxes back as far as 2002 up to present day and send me a balancing statement. My PPS number is XXXXXXXXX.
    Thank you.

name
    address

thats all i sent. Clear and to the point.

~Leanne~ wrote:
    Just got an email this morning to say my email i sent 2 days ago has been forwarded on the the correct person to deal with it.

Snap.

I sent mine two days ago and still havent heard anything:( :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

They tell me that I owe them €2960. :( In previous years, I've usually got something back - you win some, you lose some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Litcagral wrote:
    They tell me that I owe them €2960. :( In previous years, I've usually got something back - you win some, you lose some.

Harsh...

Litcagral wrote:

ouch!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement