Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] The Son Also Rises

Options
  • 28-06-2004 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Afraid I have to break the rules slightly and just say that I thought this was an interesting and somewhat surprising interview, and thought others might like to read it. It's an NY Times interview with Ronald Reagan Jnr.

adam
    June 27, 2004
    QUESTIONS FOR RONALD P. REAGAN
    The Son Also Rises
    Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON

Now that the country is awash in Reagan nostalgia, some observers are predicting that you will enter politics. Would you like to be president of the United States?

I would be unelectable. I'm an atheist. As we all know, that is something people won't accept.

What would you do if Senator Kerry asked you to be his vice president?

I would question his sanity.

Do you ever go to church?

No. I visit my wife's sangha.

So you sometimes practice Buddhism?

I don't claim anything. But my sympathies would be in that direction. I admire the fact that the central core of Buddhist teaching involves mindfulness and loving kindness and compassion.

Your father has been eulogized as a model of genuineness. But did you see any schism between his public and private selves?

In private, you got what you got in public. He treated everyone the same. He was just a very warm man, and he worked hard to impress upon his children the value of kindness. He was biologically incapable of gossip. There was no smallness in him.

[...]

Advertisement