Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had installation probs with UTV Clicksilver USB Modem?

Options
  • 13-03-2004 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I got my USB modem in the post Wednesday and it promptly killed my PC, scrabbling its brains as it tried to install. A very nice chap who charges €80 and hour (i'm in the wrong line of work!) sorted out Windows which is now running quicker than for a while, but had little sucess with the modem (ZyXel Prestige 630). I rang UTV tech support this morning and dispite a number of attempts using different approaches it would'nt install
    correctly. Have decided to go with an ethernet instead at 30 euro extra. Hopefully it'll do its job.

Now I'm on Indigo "by the min" dial-up as my UTVip acc. has been transfered to Clicksilver (boo!).

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

What operating system are you using?
    And does this help?:
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q2/zyxel_prestige630.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Win 98se and thanks for that link! I'll have a go using its instructions...

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Now I'm on Indigo "by the min" dial-up as my UTVip acc. has been transfered to Clicksilver (boo!).

Are you sure your UTVip is gone? Have you checked to see if its still there?

UTV charge up to the end of the calendar month (in which you go on to Clicksilver) for your UTVip so if you are going to have to wait on a new modem get on to them and tell them you want to use the UTVip until the end of the month. That is presuming that you were not activated in February and they did not cease your UTVip at the end of February. The monthly bills are just out so check if you have been charged up to the end of the month for your UTVip. I think UTV should credit customers for this period but seeing as they dont and wont make sure you get the benefit if you have paid up.

And it seems incredible that UTV were not able to help you to get the modem installed given that as least some of their customers must be using Windows 98se.

Cheers, I tried both versions of the software and both RFC and PPPoA drivers with both framing types bridged without success.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dub45
    Are you sure your UTVip is gone? Have you checked to see if its still there?

UTV charge up to the end of the calendar month (in which you go on to Clicksilver) for your UTVip so if you are going to have to wait on a new modem get on to them and tell them you want to use the UTVip until the end of the month. That is presuming that you were not activated in February and they did not cease your UTVip at the end of February. The monthly bills are just out so check if you have been charged up to the end of the month for your UTVip. I think UTV should credit customers for this period but seeing as they dont and wont make sure you get the benefit if you have paid up.

And it seems incredible that UTV were not able to help you to get the modem installed given that as least some of their customers must be using Windows 98se.

I was activated March 9th, my bill for Feburay is short
    with monthly sub for March ending on Mar 10th.
    I'm not going to get to excited about no UTVip service
    as it may encourage me to spend less time on-line for the next few days! As for tech support they tried, my own techie (80 euro an hour) was also stumped. Not able to get a proper installation....

Miike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is the modem broken by any chance? Any possibility of borrowing another one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Booster

Sorry I'm not going to be much help here but I had terrible problems installing mine too (Win 98se). I spent 2 days messing about, calling support ect with no luck. I was pulling my hair out. I was just about ot give up when I went back to to first method I used to install it from the manual and it installed. Again, I'm sorry, I dont know what I did different but it worked in the end. Keep trying.

Originally posted by Booster
    I was just about ot give up when I went back to to first method I used to install it from the manual and it installed. Again, I'm sorry, I dont know what I did different but it worked in the end. Keep trying.

Agh! You tease! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i am not helping here or asking for help but am just replying to the question in the message subject,

yeah i am having a huar of a time trying to get it to work with win2003

• Advertisement

mike65, dod you get that usb modem working? A friend of mine is having similar problems, ZyXEL taskbar icon goes blue but never detects the dsl line to go green...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

yeah i am having a huar of a time trying to get it to work with win2003

Yea it didn't much like 2003 for me either but I got it running eventually using Zyxel's own drivers (for XP I think it was) and manually configuring the settings - it didn't much like my USB HP2179 All-in One tho so in the end I ended up goin back to 2000...

..but as of this week it's consigned to the press as I've replaced it with a nice shiny Linksys Wireless ADSL/Router combi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by DMT
    mike65, dod you get that usb modem working? A friend of mine is having similar problems, ZyXEL taskbar icon goes blue but never detects the dsl line to go green...

Try plugging out the phone line and plugging it back in. Did the trick for me.

Originally posted by DMT

No I excahnged it for an ethernet box which is more fiddly to live with ie another bloody power supply unit and plug but its easy to set up no matter the OS.

Mike.

Advertisement