Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Mallon RIP

Options
  • 24-01-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭

Former Northern Ireland deputy first minister and civil rights campaigner Seamus Mallon has died aged 83.
    A key figure in the civil rights movement and peace process.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

One of the key figures in bringing NI from awful times in the Troubles to where it is today. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

R.I.P a true patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A real peacemaker. RIP.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A great man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A man who made Hume's vision a reality.
    A man who's contribution to the peace process and in particular to the mechanics of the GFA will only be appreciated in his loss.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a h-anam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One of the most admirable politicians on these islands.

What happened to him. Maybe I'm morbid but we seem to have stopped mentioning how someone died.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP Seamus. A decent man I met a few times.

Like any politician, he made mistakes, not backing Hume because he feared for his party, being the worst. That agitated him to the end and he never seemed to reconcile that mistake and was very bitter about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What happened to him. Maybe I'm morbid but we seem to have stopped mentioning how someone died.

He had cancer he knew he couldn't beat apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He had cancer he knew he couldn't beat apparently.

Only diagnosed last year according to Tommie Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One of the really good guys. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

RIP. A truly important person in the history of modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

RIP
    One of the greats of his generation and key to the ongoing stability since the Good Friday Agreement.

I believe his late wife suffered from dementia so in fairness he shouldered more than his fair share....

I loved his dark sardonic sense of humor! Describing the GFA as 'Sunningdale for Slow Learners' was a favorite...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Had a fierce abhorrence of violence in the tradition of Daniel O'Connell.
    Great respect for the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

A giant of Northern Ireland politics for over 50 years. A man who sought to achieve peace and equality in N.I. through peaceful means. He and Hume were giants. May he R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

That's sad. A great man. I remember him growing up during the troubles as being one of the voices of reason along with John Hume.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Former Northern Ireland deputy first minister and civil rights campaigner Seamus Mallon has died aged 83.
    A key figure in the civil rights movement and peace process.

He did all the heavy lifting with John Hume & David Trimble, then somehow the peaceful SDLP got sidelined, and the not so peaceful Shinners reaped the rewards & came out on top :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RIP to a proper politician.

History will remember him fondly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

A man full of humanity,of courage and a will to find a peaceful solution to the complected problems of his time

A vital part of the peace process.

R.I.P Seamus Mallon

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

One of the few politicians from the north that could be classed as one of the good guys.

RIP Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A giant of a man who was the bane of both violent Republicans and Unionists alike.
    Men like him are an example of what can be achieved by peaceful means without the need to go bombing and killing people to achieve a goal.

Will go down in history as one of the great men of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

" No Catholic pig and his litter will ever get a home in Markethill while I am here", declared a local Unionist Coucillor in the 1960's.

A friend of Seamus, with 12 children and trying to escape living in a dilapidated property, was the target of this outburst.

That was the spark that brought him into the Civil Rights Movement/Constitutional Nationalism (SDLP).

R.I.P. Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    " No Catholic pig and his litter will ever get a home in Markethill while I am here", declared a local Unionist Coucillor in the 1960's.

A friend of Seamus, with 12 children and trying to escape living in a dilapidated property, was the target of this outburst.

That was the spark that brought him into the Civil Rights Movement/Constitutional Nationalism (SDLP).

R.I.P. Seamus.

Yes indeed, yet apparently it's us who need to do all the running when it comes to community reach out

Advertisement