Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday Like Alvor, Portugal

• 24-01-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering could you help me!

Myself and my partner visited Alvor last year and really loved it as we just wanted a quiet place that served good food and nice bars and Alvor really impressed us.

While we have considered going back there this year, I'm hoping you might be able to suggest something similar?

Thanks for all your advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Carvoiero is a nice place if you like Algaeve

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Sa Coma Majorca

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭chancer12

I'd recommend Lagos, just farther down than Alvor but much nicer in my opinion! It's got a lovely harbour, stunning beaches and the range of restaurants is amazing. Have been several times and recommended it to friends ... who have all gone back!

If you want to stay in Portugal but move away from the Algarve then Cascais is fab, went there last year. It's about 45 mins by suburban rail from Lisbon so you have the benefit of a city close by if you get bored by the beach. Either way, enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Luz, is a 5 minute drive from Lagos.
    It's smaller with great restaurantant. €11/€12 in a taxi.
    Staying in either gives the benefits of both.

There are a mountain of towns and villages along the Algarve, the irony is that Albufeira is the outlier really in terms of tourist hotspots. Maybe Paraia da Luz is a bit similar in terms of English/Irish pubs and sky sports on all the time.

Once you head West of Albufeira, though, you can take your pick:

Armacao De Pera, Caroveiro, Ferragudo, Alvor are all lovely seaside spots with really good food and drink for next to nothing. Like, seriously cheap......3 courses plus a half litre of wine for under €20pp cheap. Lagos is more like a city, so that little bit more expensive but it is absolutely amazing.

If you don't have to be near the sea, then Porches, Lagoa, Silves are all similar spots with great restaurants. Nice and quiet, no sunburned lads in england jersies wrecking the place.

Pick one as your base, stay local for a few days, rent a car after you've got your bearings and just do day trips to the others. Also, Uber is a lifesaver in the Algarve. You'll save a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 derryleigh1

Hi, have you considered going east - Tavira is a lovely small town, Cabanas is further on, beach for both towns is a short boat trip, beaches are amazing. Another lovely place is Olhao, same deal with the beaches, but highly recommended. I've being going to Portugal for over 30 years, lived there for 3, and only discovered these towns within the last 5.

Similar to Alvor, there's a train station in each town which lets you visit lots of different places, or go to the border and get the ferry to Spain for a day.

Advertisement