Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching tubes question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

See if you can peel off the old patch first. Just be careful to work your way all around it first i.e. dont pull it off like a bandaid or else the tube might rip from the hole onwards. If you can get it off, use sandpaper to remove any residue from the previous patch and glue. Then start again.

As people here have suggested, leave a heavy weight on the patch overnight to ensure that there are no gaps left. I use a clamp for this.
    If you can remove the air from the tube you will increase the chance of a successful patch. Personally, I use a pump that can be switched to vaccum for this. It ensures that the patch gets sucked tight against the hole. It has the added benefit that I can easily roll up the tube when its done and put an elastic band around it for easy storage. Just like how they arrive in their box when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

See if you can peel off the old patch first. Just be careful to work your way all around it first i.e. dont pull it off like a bandaid or else the tube might rip from the hole onwards. If you can get it off, use sandpaper to remove any residue from the previous patch and glue. Then start again.

Yes, exactly. So long as you peel it off carefully and give it a good sanding, you can patch again as if the botched one never happened. I usually find the air bleed at the side is from using too small a spread of solution. You want there to be a bit of solution visible all round the patch, and push the patch down into the glue, applying pressure from the centre to the margins.

Try leaving the solution to dry a few minutes too. Maybe my five-minute wait is too much,
    but leave it bit before applying the patch.
    As people here have suggested, leave a heavy weight on the patch overnight to ensure that there are no gaps left. I use a clamp for this.
    If you can remove the air from the tube you will increase the chance of a successful patch. Personally, I use a pump that can be switched to vaccum for this. It ensures that the patch gets sucked tight against the hole. It has the added benefit that I can easily roll up the tube when its done and put an elastic band around it for easy storage. Just like how they arrive in their box when new.

This is very thorough!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

tomasrojo wrote: »

This is very thorough!

Ha! It probably is too much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ha! It probably is too much :D

I 100% approve.

Advertisement