Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue applied attachement to Bank Account < 1k

Options
  • 24-01-2020 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Im not an accountant, a small business owner. I have a debt with Revenue for 995 euro that was unpaid vat return for Sept/Oct 2019. A demand letter was sent and I havent made payment yet or contacted them

My bank account and credit card was frozen with an attachement, I only realised it now trying to make an online payment. I didn't get any notifications from Revenue or my bank.

I think its a bit much applying an attachments for my latest vat return and the rules on the revenue website are attachments are only for debts of more than 1k

Can I argue that it should not have been applied?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Buttercake wrote: »
    A demand letter was sent and I havent made payment yet or contacted them
    Buttercake wrote: »
    I didn't get any notifications from Revenue or my bank.

Which is it?
    For a start they send a final demand warning you.
    You say 995 - is there penalties/interest on top

The bank or any other financial institution will not inform you if Revenue apply an attachment - they just freeze your assets until Revenue advise them they can release them

The debt needs paying, only then will they inform the bank they can release the hold

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

fritzelly wrote: »
    Which is it?
    For a start they send a final demand warning you.
    You say 995 - is there penalties/interest on top

The bank or any other financial institution will not inform you if Revenue apply an attachment - they just freeze your assets until Revenue advise them they can release them

The debt needs paying, only then will they inform the bank they can release the hold

Thanks, I only got the final demand letter. The amount is including interest. I understand the debt needs to be repaid. My query was the amount is less than the amount is less than 1k.

From Revenue.ie

debt made up of tax, interest and/or penalties due to Revenue may be the subject of a Notice of Attachment. The minimum debt for the use of a general attachment is €1,000 and in the case of an attachment of wages and salary it is €10,000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Wow that is OTT
    Alot of small business wouldnt have the instant knowledge
    Pity they can freeze criminals assets as fast

sasta le wrote: »
    Wow that is OTT
    Alot of small business wouldnt have the instant knowledge
    Pity they can freeze criminals assets as fast

That's what i was thinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

i would advise you to contact the name on the final demand letter asap. whatever money was in the account up to €995 will be taken and paid over to revenue. if you make contact they are fairly reasonable and you could come up with a payment plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Tow

Revenue apply interest on compound daily ate. It would not take long for €995 to reach €1000

From a few years ago:

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Wow - that seems pretty harsh. An attachment order from a 3 month debt. I wonder is this an error, especially if you do not have a history of non-compliance?

It would concern me giving the Revenue bank account details. For many businesses, a frozen bank account could cause irreparable damage. For example, loss of website hosting.

Tow wrote: »
    Revenue apply interest on compound daily ate. It would not take long for €995 to reach €1000

From a few years ago:

Yes but at the date of sanctioning the attachment (3 weeks ago) the amount was less than 1k, it might be 5-10 euro out but its still less than the regulation
    Wow - that seems pretty harsh. An attachment order from a 3 month debt. I wonder is this an error, especially if you do not have a history of non-compliance?

It would concern me giving the Revenue bank account details. For many businesses, a frozen bank account could cause irreparable damage. For example, loss of website hosting.

This is the only debt i have with them, thing is i dont think the company bank details are on ROS. I normally pay any debits by debit/credit card, I never use direct debit

Advertisement