Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanding down skim plaster coat

Options
  • 23-01-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Someone mentioned to me that a skim plaster coat should ideally be sanded down for a good finish.
    I mentioned this to my builder and he said he never really came across it with plasterers he has worked with in the past.

Is it an unusual thing or standard practice for some plasterers and not others?

Will it make any noticeable difference? Ie. Is is something worth pushing/insisting to have done?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

it’s best to lightly sand, ideally mechanically. It will make a difference when you come to paint. Any area with a long wall or that gets sun light will wreck your head unless it’s well skimmed, but a good sand will get any last ridges and help the paint look even + impregnate the plaster well

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

BryanF wrote: »
    it’s best to lightly sand, ideally mechanically. It will make a difference when you come to paint. Any area with a long wall or that gets sun light will wreck your head unless it’s well skimmed, but a good sand will get any last ridges and help the paint look even + impregnate the plaster well

Thanks Bryan!
    Is this standard practice these days, or something I should reasonably be paying for as a variation?
    Is it something typically the plasterers would do, or painter/decorator?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

ravendude wrote: »
    Thanks Bryan!
    Is this standard practice these days, or something I should reasonably be paying for as a variation?
    Is it something typically the plasterers would do, or painter/decorator?

It’s a job for painter but if the plasterer is really good you won’t see any such imperfections. I’ve a new build and I’ve have loads of filling and sanding to do to get it perfect, some would say it’s a fault of the plasterer and others would say they left a reasonable level of imperfections

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I've never heard of someone sanding down newly plastered wall. If the walls were trowelled up properly it should be smooth. The only thing that can be left is the drips from trowelling up or snots as they can call them.

A 6inch dry wall blade is usually skimmed across wall to knock these off prior to painting. Painter should do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If skimming work needs to sanded down when the plasterer is finished then it's time to get a proper plasterer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

OK. looks like there are differing opinions. I guess i'll just wait and see how the job turns out. If there are some spots with lines or artifacts will ask to painter to give them a rub maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

ravendude wrote: »
    OK. looks like there are differing opinions. I guess i'll just wait and see how the job turns out. If there are some spots with lines or artifacts will ask to painter to give them a rub maybe.

To be honest, there are no "ifs and buts"! Opinions don't come into it. If a plasterer is competent and reputable, the plastering will be completed to a certain standard. If you go sanding down a whole wall, or even in part, there could be a situation where the paint doesn't adhere to the wall sufficiently. In the past I have seen Plasterers (a couple thats all) finnish walls to a glass finish!! (inexperienced and showing off) this is complete nonsense because paint will not adhere to the plaster as well, and could form a barrier. The best method statement, when the skim coat (finnish coat) has just turned dry "Paint it" (white wash it, like and undercoat, even slightly watered down) This allows the paint to adhere and grip the plaster. Any imperfection then should be addressed further by the decorator before he puts the final "TWO" coats on. That is a professional method statement. Preparation for painting/decorating/papering is absolutely essential, and in a lot of cases, the most important part of the finished standard. Some people think Painters and Decorators aren't even really a trade, thats nonsense.. A good qualified Decorator will adhere to the five "P's" Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance" :) Finally, it's good to be a perfectionist, it reflects on the bigger picture. Have a great day!

Advertisement