Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Istanbul

Options
  • 23-01-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Anybody have recommendations for things to do in Istanbul, Heading there in April for work but will a couple of days downtime?

Is the rail network good between the International Airport and the City.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Rail network is fine.

Blue Mosque and Agias Sophia are the two big draws. Big queues though, and prospective tour guides too, so watch out for that.

A ferry across the Bosphorus is a must, ideally at sunset I think, or when the call to prayer goes out.

There's a huge inside market which is worth wandering around, even if you don't want to buy anything. Remember to haggle though if you are buying.

A Turkish bath will probably take 45 minutes all told; an interesting experience!

I found the Fenerbahce area in particular to be lively after dark in an energetic everyone-on-the-street way. Pop into a sidestreet bar to watch life go by.

If the football is of interest, you'll have to buy tickets well in advance as it's complicated; you need an ID card first. Turkish football is renowned for its atmosphere though.

Get a freshly squeezed pomegranate juice from the streetsellers around the museums; it's delicious

They're just some random thoughts anyway. It's a great city

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

cdeb wrote: »
    Rail network is fine.

Blue Mosque and Agias Sophia are the two big draws. Big queues though, and prospective tour guides too, so watch out for that.

A ferry across the Bosphorus is a must, ideally at sunset I think, or when the call to prayer goes out.

There's a huge inside market which is worth wandering around, even if you don't want to buy anything. Remember to haggle though if you are buying.

A Turkish bath will probably take 45 minutes all told; an interesting experience!

I found the Fenerbahce area in particular to be lively after dark in an energetic everyone-on-the-street way. Pop into a sidestreet bar to watch life go by.

If the football is of interest, you'll have to buy tickets well in advance as it's complicated; you need an ID card first. Turkish football is renowned for its atmosphere though.

Get a freshly squeezed pomegranate juice from the streetsellers around the museums; it's delicious

They're just some random thoughts anyway. It's a great city

Many thanks CDEP for this comprehensive response, plenty to go on with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

cdeb wrote: »
    Rail network is fine.

Not too sure about that. The new airport is used for international flights now and afaik the metro line has not been laid yet.
    So it’s a bus or taxi transfer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ah. Yeah, forgot there was a new airport now. Tis only two years since I was there; you don't expect the airport to change entirely in that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

The indoor market is the Grand Bazaar - worth a visit.

Do the underground Roman cistern & the Topkapi palace - all of the main sights are within walking distance.

The main bridge over the Bosphorus is the Galata bridge, you can get some great pictures of the new and Blue mosques at sunset.

Beautiful city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

If you are planing duty free shopping do that when you arrive. Lower prices.

There are 2 security screenings at the new Istanbul airport. First to get in to the mail hall and second after passport check. Take some time extra as there are always queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

If the weather is good, Besiktas and Ortaköy are nice spots up the strait. Think you can take a ferry to them, been a while since I was there. Definitely worth doing a trip on the water to see the houses on the Asian side.

I second the suggestion to visit the Basilica Cistern and Topkapi.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

Was only there last October, fantastic place to visit, Dolmabahce Palace is well worth seeing, even to compare it with Topkapi, Blue Mosque was under major renovation when I was there so spoiled the view when inside but probably will be finished by April. All the sights are within walking distance and the rail system is good. New airport is huge and as someone said leave yourself time. Food was very good and cheap. Alcohol was expensive compared to everything else. I would go back there anytime.

Advertisement