Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic home heating over wifi

Options
  • 21-01-2020 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have an old fashioned boiler and heating with basic on, off and timer settings on the switch in the house. It is one of those basic switches with the round circle with the clips to set when you want it on.

I would like to have a system where I could turn the heating on with an app on my phone. Is there something basic I could use to do this? Small house so I am not interested in zones or anything like that. Just want to be able to turn it on and off remotely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Get the Nest, identical situation to what I had, will never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

+1 for the nest.

Give Electric Ireland a call and see what you can wrangle out of them, they can have multiple offers at the same time, https://www.electricireland.ie/switch/new-customer/price-plans/smart-heating/nest-thermostat/learn-more

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Had a nest. Hated it. Slow to react. Home/away didn't work consistently. "Smart" learning was terrible for us.

I replaced my nest with a sonoff switch. Literally is just a smart switch I can control wirelessly, and set timers on it too. It requires some knowhow to setup (flash the sonoff with tasmota firmware, and some router settings to expose it outside your internal wireless if you wanted), but it did cost like $5.

Screenshot-2020-01-21-04-31-57.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I replaced my nest with a sonoff switch. Literally is just a smart switch I can control wirelessly, and set timers on it too.

That is what I am using too. A Sonoff for each zone valve and one for the boiler.
    Cheap, effective, simple and integrates with Google Home or Alexa. Nest is massively overpriced IMHO.
    It requires some knowhow to setup (flash the sonoff with tasmota firmware, and some router settings to expose it outside your internal wireless if you wanted), but it did cost like $5.

I didn't bother with this, I may look into it at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I have hive... works grand. Just for boiler on off timing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Climote any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Car99 wrote: »
    Climote any good?

I have climote, works perfect and Irish company

You do have a yearly fee to keep the remote access working.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,683 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've sonoff too. With temperature sensor.

Have set schedule but can turn on off from anywhere using the app or Google assistant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sonoff looks good but most people want an off the shelf solution

I have the Sonoff smart plug and the quality of build is questionable....

If you know what your doing then perfect solution and cheap, majority of people won’t and no installer available nationwide....

Best to try get a deal via a supplier when signing up for electricity but DON’T reduce your discount, get them to throw in with the max discount, if not just ask them how much to install, it will be cheaper to buy than lose your discount

2011 wrote: »

I didn't want to go into too much detail, but i've mine hooked into my home assistant home automation software, and is using temperature sensors i've placed in each room to automate turning on/off the boiler, which also hook into home assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

I've a Tado for the past few years. Incredibly flexible, easy to set up and use. Has geo fencing so you can set schedules and have the option of the schedule not kicking in if there's no one home. It uses the Tado app on your and family members phones to see if they are on their way home and will then start heating rather than heat an empty house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I picked up 3 WiFi stats from aliexpress. About €20ea.

You can pick them up for a bit more from amazon just look for moes/floureon etc

Takes about 5 mins to connect, works from app, integrates to home assistant, alexa, Google Home etc.

Far more cost effective than 3 nests/hive etc

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

The Nest looks like a tidy solution but is there a subscription charge for it? Would like to avoid any charges or contracts other than installation.

For the Sonoff, how would I fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

Got the climote free with SSE last year on smart home bundle offer. They pay the fee (€18 annually) and if I change supplier I’m liable for the fee. Easy to use from app or Alexa/echo dot device. Think there’s a bit of wait time for installation- I was around 6 weeks

transylman wrote: »
    The Nest looks like a tidy solution but is there a subscription charge for it? Would like to avoid any charges or contracts other than installation.

For the Sonoff, how would I fit it?

Sonoff is just a smart relay. When I did mine, I just pulled my nest off the wall to expose the wiring going into the nest. Then i triggered the heating to come on and measured voltage over each pin with my multimeter. I found the pin that went high when the heating came on so that what the pin I need to connect live to via the sonoff. Live and neutral go in 1 end (marked on the sonoff), connect the wire that needs to go high to the live track on the output, and neutral to the other.

Toggling the sonoff flips it's internal relay to connect live input to live output.

Nest has no subscription charges, but you'll be paying an electrician to install it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nest has no subscription charges, but you'll be paying an electrician to install it.

Correct, however the Climote does incur a monthly charge. That rules it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I got Nest over a year ago for a basic heating system and found it grand, but it's more sophisticated that I need.......all this 'learning' stuff is irrelevant, because I don't have a routine. I recently got a new boiler and got the hot water put in as a zone, so Nest can control that as well. It's fine, but it was a pain when I got the new system as the Nest had to be reconfigured......electricians and plumbers on site didn't have a clue about Nest, so it was up to me. The default with hot water with Nest is that if you don't use Nest to heat the water for at least two hours every 48 hours, it will heat your water for the two hours (it's to protect against bacteria like Legionnaires disease). It took me ages to figure this out and disable it. I also find the Nest thermostat itself not very intuitive - the app is much easier.

Friends of mine recently got Climote - they have two heating zones, so Nest would require the purchase of two thermostats, whereas Climote can handle the two zones. It strikes me as a far simpler system. Yes, there is an annual charge - something under €20 I think - and that is to pay for supporting the SIM card, which it needs as it doesn't use your wifi.......makes it very popular for holiday homes.

Nest works with Google Home, but while Climote doesn't yet, apparently they are testing it and planning to launch this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

The Climote has an annual charge, approx 19/20e. There is no monthly subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Is this an example of a suitable sonoff?
    https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-rf.html

I thought these would be fine of household lighting etc but thought the amp for a oil burner would be higher than they could handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

There's a version that supports 16A. Would that suit?

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    Is this an example of a suitable sonoff?
    https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-rf.html

I thought these would be fine of household lighting etc but thought the amp for a oil burner would be higher than they could handle?

Before selecting a switch it is important to determine what size the load is. This will be written on a nameplate on the boiler itself.

Generally a domestic boiler is quite a small load that can be protected by a fuse rated in the region of 3 amps. The Sonoff device you linked to is rated for 10 amps, as such it should be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

2011 wrote: »
    That is what I am using too. A Sonoff for each zone valve and one for the boiler.
    Cheap, effective, simple and integrates with Google Home or Alexa. Nest is massively overpriced IMHO.

Sent you a pm mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Netatmo

True wireless solution that does what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Have a look at the installation requirements for your boiler - if its allowable to fit a standard plug to the boiler, you can just use a smart plug.

Granted the boiler I have is ancient - so maybe you cant install a newer one like that.

Theres only a small power draw on mine, and I'd imagine it's even less on a newer boiler.

bluelamp wrote: »
    Have a look at the installation requirements for your boiler - if its allowable to fit a standard plug to the boiler, you can just use a smart plug.

Two possible issues here:

1) The circuit is unlikely to meet the requirements for a socket circuit as it most likely wired in 1.5 mm cable and may not be protected by an RCD

2) Most boilers require a permanent feed as well as a switched supply. A smart plug can’t provide both. Over a protracted period this could result in damage to the boiler.

Redriddick wrote: »
    Sent you a pm mate.

I replied. Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi folks, starting to look at this to see if it would be possible to add one of the sonoff switches behind (either directly or in attic).

Anybody added one of those switches and left the manual push button timer switch in place at the same time.
    what I am looking to acheive is to leave the current manual push button timer in place and be used as/if needed but to also have the option of connecting and turning the heating on / off over wifi.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi folks, starting to look at this to see if it would be possible to add one of the sonoff switches behind (either directly or in attic).

Anybody added one of those switches and left the manual push button timer switch in place at the same time.
    what I am looking to acheive is to leave the current manual push button timer in place and be used as/if needed but to also have the option of connecting and turning the heating on / off over wifi.

Yes, this is achievable. The manual switch would simply be wired in parallel with the Sonoff. It should be noted that Sonoff devices such as TH16 come with a manual switch on them.

Advertisement