Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house: induction hob & elec oven

Options
  • 18-01-2020 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,

in process of buying a new house. It is essentially complete, solicitor etc is in process. We have to install our own hob and oven. It is all electricity - no gas etc. I was planning on installing an induction hob, and a double electric oven, but then I read this:

"Some induction hobs draw up to 7.4kw of power and that means having a separate ring main fitted if your current setup is, like many older kitchens, just a standard 13 amp cooker plug...

If you also have an electric oven on the same ring, you may in fact need an even higher rated cable.

Bear this in mind because it’s the single most important consideration when purchasing any electrical cooking appliance."

I dont know how it is wired at the moment, and I wouldnt necessarily trust the EA to give me accurate technical information, if I did ask.

So what are the chances Ill have a problem? Or do modern kitchen wiring standards exceed the power requirements of modern hobs and ovens used together?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi,

in process of buying a new house. It is essentially complete, solicitor etc is in process. We have to install our own hob and oven. It is all electricity - no gas etc. I was planning on installing an induction hob, and a double electric oven, but then I read this:

"Some induction hobs draw up to 7.4kw of power and that means having a separate ring main fitted if your current setup is, like many older kitchens, just a standard 13 amp cooker plug...

If you also have an electric oven on the same ring, you may in fact need an even higher rated cable.

Bear this in mind because it’s the single most important consideration when purchasing any electrical cooking appliance."

I dont know how it is wired at the moment, and I wouldnt necessarily trust the EA to give me accurate technical information, if I did ask.

So what are the chances Ill have a problem? Or do modern kitchen wiring standards exceed the power requirements of modern hobs and ovens used together?

Thanks!

As far as I know in most houses the hob and oven are wired separately these days meaning you won't have any issues with this. The wiring for the oven should I imagine be capable of coping with 7.4kW although you are unlikely to reach this unless you have every hob on up full which is generally not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As far as I know in most houses the hob and oven are wired separately these days meaning you won't have any issues with this. The wiring for the oven should I imagine be capable of coping with 7.4kW although you are unlikely to reach this unless you have every hob on up full which is generally not the case.

A load of older (not even that old) houses have them running off the one switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Will most likely be grand

Advertisement