Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal barking...

Options
  • 18-01-2020 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Last night it started again. The first quiet night out here for a long while with gales and Brendan.

A beautiful young Merle collie, barely under control .

From before 2 am onwards loud frenzied barking. Just across four fields from here in the deep island stillness. So distressed.

This was an issue a couple of years ago, they said with an older dog. I called them one night at 2 am! SHF time …. A tirade ensued and he does tirades very well. :eek: It stopped when I said (a) that I was worried in case something was wrong at the house, as it is too far for me to walk and (b) that any barking after 11 pm is illegal etc. " You wouldn't report to the Gardaí over a barking dog!" Wanna bet? It closed him down.. That dog had clearly been left tied up outside and last night was bitterly cold. ( He claimed the last time that they could not hear it.. )

That stopped him in his tracks. And a few weeks later he told me it was the old dog and it had died.

Been fine since; one or two brief episodes and I bought a "silent" dog whistle.

But at 4 am I let fly with a very loud whistle outside.

This is the "man" who starved and neglected the little cat I feed and care for; no I have not "taken it in " if he starts that; Tonto is free to come and go; he prefers to stay .

Will see what happens over the weekend but if it goes on, will send a brief note on Monday. I can stand on my drive with the phone on and get it witnessed in CANADA!

Sorry re the rant but … CANNOT BEAR animal abuse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Barking again most of the morning. I have emailed another neighbour to ask if all is well there etc, and he had no idea. Mentioned " fox" but if so then they had left the dog chained up outside...

Handed it over to the other neighbour, but made sure he knew my purpose.

All quiet now. Please God it lasts. There is a very old lady in that house so I was right to ask, as we are bidden keep a watch on old folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting! A quiet night then at 6 am a sudden short barking, ie normal barking not that dreadful frenzied racket that went on for so many hours

So I "made a fuss" and seemingly it has been heeded.

Now I lie low to let it all blow over! Things can else get very intense on a small island.. , HATE doing it but...

Advertisement