Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat flap

Options
  • 11-01-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

i want to install a cat flap in my external back garden wall.
    the wall is 14 cm thick.
    I want to get a micochip sensitive flap.
    im thinking i need to put a flap at both ends?
    and a tunnel inbetween them?
    has anyone ever done this before.
    will the external cat flap read the chip as she passes through?
    or will it read her chip as she approaches the door internally.
    ie what is the range of these chip readers.

will pussy get stuck in a 13 cm tunnel
    has anyone else ever done this or how was this problem solved.
    or should i put the flap in the patio door glass. ( double glazed.... getting a new one this week)
    is the technology reliable
    thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I'm pretty sure the one we have is a SureFlap. We have 3 cats and the cat flap is in a thick stone kitchen wall, so they have maybe a 30 cm long tunnel to get out to the other side. We were going to line the tunnel with the SureFlap extension attachments you can get, but they are very expensive for what they are (€9 each and we would have probably needed 5) and the cats are fine walking on the stone! You could use a big piece of pipe.

You don't really need a second flap unless you want to be very particular about insulation, but I think they are insulated enough and unless facing a very windy direction one should be fine. Remember because they lock themselves the wind can't really flap them open.

The chip is read from either side when the cat gets about 20 cm from the flap on either side, but they are very smart at banging their faces or paws through it at which point it is unlocked while they are doing so, then it locks behind them when they move away.

If you know someone that can cut glass it would probably look a lot nicer to have it put in glass, the SureFlap comes with a circular mounting base you can see in one of the pictures there.

They take 6 AA batteries which last us about 6 months if you get decent ones, the tech is very reliable.

thank so much for that.
    so did you place the flap on the internal aspect of the wall or the external aspect if the wall.
    and the cat never got ' caught' in the tunnel waiting for the flap to.open? the flap always reads the chip reasonably quickly?

No problem :) Flap is on the inside of the kitchen, kittys never get stuck and one of them is a whopper. Looks like they have a more recent one with a digital display, which has a few more pictures, and you can see better how the tunnel adapters work. The chip reading is instant, it is constantly waiting for chips and will unlock as soon as one approaches. One thing I do remember is I believe if your cat's chip is underneath them around the belly area sometimes it might have difficulty reading them but I highly doubt it would be a problem even in that case.

I don't think I would put the side that contains the batteries / digital display outside. I don't know how water proof the new one is but definitely our one wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Just another + for Sureflap. We've one of the older models probably 7-8 yrs now and never a problem with chip reading. Even removed it from old back door when changing and had it inserted in new PVC door.

• Advertisement

They take 6 AA batteries which last us about 6 months if you get decent ones, the tech is very reliable.

tis actually 4 AA batteries, changed them today trying rechargeable ones

thanks guys. i have ordered my sure flap and awaiting delivery.v

Advertisement