Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get power in house

Options
  • 11-01-2020 4:32pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I am renovating a house but have been out of action due to an accident for a year almost. I had the power disconnected and 2 years disconnection is up in a few months. I am nowhere near to even first fix electrical yet and I am worried. I am told it's very expensive after 2 years and also the requirements are much stricter as regarded as new connection. This is an old cottage where the power line comes in at the chimney. I have been using a generator for power tools up to now.

My questions are:

1) Are the ESB likely to extend this deadline for me?

2)Is there a way to get in power temporarily now to provide power to complete the renovation.

3)If I have temporary power will this in any way affect the above deadline or make no difference?

I am simply not sure how to proceed at the moment.

Many thanks for your time.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 advise_needed

johneym wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

I am renovating a house but have been out of action due to an accident for a year almost. I had the power disconnected and 2 years disconnection is up in a few months. I am nowhere near to even first fix electrical yet and I am worried. I am told it's very expensive after 2 years and also the requirements are much stricter as regarded as new connection. This is an old cottage where the power line comes in at the chimney. I have been using a generator for power tools up to now.

My questions are:

1) Are the ESB likely to extend this deadline for me?

2)Is there a way to get in power temporarily now to provide power to complete the renovation.

3)If I have temporary power will this in any way affect the above deadline or make no difference?

I am simply not sure how to proceed at the moment.

Many thanks for your time.

John

there is int a hope in hell esb will move the deadline, but get some red ducting a esb meter cabinet some concrete and probally 50 blocks to build a "wall" to house the cabinet then get a rec to set you up with a temp conection for the time being and when the work on your house is finished just notify esb that you want the meter moved back to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

there is int a hope in hell esb will move the deadline, but get some red ducting a esb meter cabinet some concrete and probally 50 blocks to build a "wall" to house the cabinet then get a rec to set you up with a temp conection for the time being and when the work on your house is finished just notify esb that you want the meter moved back to the house.

Esbn no longer do temporary supplies
    They won’t extend the deadline either

Is it possible you can get a rec to upgrade your existing installation and certify before the 2 year deadline. It may be possible to surface mount electrics and certify that,then flush them whilst renovating

• Registered Users Posts: 23 advise_needed

meercat wrote: »

really a farmer down the road had one of these done about 2 maybe 3 months ago where he had the wall cabinet set up i described done with 2 outdoos sockets and 2 110 v outlets for the builders to work away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They won’t extend the deadline either

Is it possible you can get a rec to upgrade your existing installation and certify before the 2 year deadline. It may be possible to surface mount electrics and certify that,then flush them whilst renovating

What would stop them doing an install where the external lines are compliant. The meter housing is in. The CU is in and earthed and one socket or more is installed and certified.

Why would full first fix be needed.

listermint wrote: »
    What would stop them doing an install where the external lines are compliant. The meter housing is in. The CU is in and earthed and one socket or more is installed and certified.

Why would full first fix be needed.

Reci won’t accept the certificate to process onto esbn systems

• Advertisement

Reci won’t accept the certificate to process onto esbn systems

Just spit balling but what I've only 1 light and a double socket was specified. How would that not certify..

And let's say a design was extended later with same or different reci.

listermint wrote: »
    Just spit balling but what I've only 1 light and a double socket was specified. How would that not certify..

And let's say a design was extended later with same or different reci.

That wouldn’t be a complete domestic installation. There’d be nothing to prevent a non rec then doing additional work

Here’s the relevant details that may explain what the farmer did to get a power supply

https://www.voltimum.ie/articles/domestic-one-house-connections

That wouldn’t be a complete domestic installation. There’d be nothing to prevent a non rec then doing additional work

Here’s the relevant details that may explain what the farmer did to get a power supply

Technically there's nothing stopping a non rec doing any work in a previously certified full install though.

Like what if someone adds a bathroom. The same situation applies you just out lined . As in the same level of what if.

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

thanks lads for the replies.

No way I can have anything ready by the deadline meercat but I may not be too many months late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Surely this would be ok to get certification?

Sure even in a brand new renovated 4 bed house, second fixed and certified, the owner then decides they want 2 outside lights and extra sockets in the sitting room, it’s the exact same scenario, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I was in the situation where id bought a house that had elec disconnected. Needed a reci to certify it to get it switched back on.

Problem was i was doing a full renno in a few months time (after i took posession) which included re-wire. But i needed electricity in the meantime as i was carrying out some work myself prior to builder arriving on site..

I got a reci to fit 2 double sockets in the hall and fit a new consumer unit. He also had to sink an earth. He gave me a cert for it and ESB switched the electricity back on.

He said same as above regarding ESB not doing temporary connections anymore. So had to treat as if it was a new install....As far as they were concerned at this point, 2 sockets was my entire setup.

Got full re-wire few months later and that was obviously certified again, essentially upgrading my 2-socket installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    I was in the situation where id bought a house that had elec disconnected. Needed a reci to certify it to get it switched back on.

Problem was i was doing a full renno in a few months time (after i took posession) which included re-wire. But i needed electricity in the meantime as i was carrying out some work myself prior to builder arriving on site..

I got a reci to fit 2 double sockets in the hall and fit a new consumer unit. He also had to sink an earth. He gave me a cert for it and ESB switched the electricity back on.

He said same as above regarding ESB not doing temporary connections anymore. So had to treat as if it was a new install....As far as they were concerned at this point, 2 sockets was my entire setup.

Got full re-wire few months later and that was obviously certified again, essentially upgrading my 2-socket installation.

Was that recent ? Reci would question that installation, had it before, ended up with a tem suply on wall outside of house , they don’t alow power in a house when it’s under works , balls if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

JL spark wrote: »
    Was that recent ? Reci would question that installation, had it before, ended up with a tem suply on wall outside of house , they don’t alow power in a house when it’s under works , balls if you ask me
    Yeah, 2017.
    The house was old.... but the first REC had nothing to do with the works that would follow. He knew about it because i told him, but for all he cared I could have been moving into it with my 2 sockets in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Have you a shed? Can you get your rec just to certify this and get ESB to run supply to that?

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

lads, thanks a lot,

jmbuildext can I ask what you paid the ESB for the first power switch on.? And afterwards, what were the ESB costs involved in getting ESB to power whole house?
    The bully, there was a shed but it's demolished. There is nothing at the moment.

appreciate it

Advertisement