Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Bike shop - use it or lose it!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    ....when I go to the trouble of bringing it to a shop and being without it for a week....
    A week? WTF?

Richie's in Swords does a same day service. He doesn't want anyone's bike in overnight. I've often got mine back within the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Yourmama wrote: »
    99% of my purchases are online. The price difference is so substantial, I simply can't justify going to lbs unless I need something immediately. I do all repairs myself.

This.

I find most local shops won't have what I want or will have the cheapo version of it. Otherwise, it's a half-hearted "we can order it" and that usually means they won't or they won't bother to let you know it's in if they do (common to all Irish retailers IME). Plus that means two trips minimum and I live in the country so extra hassle.

If I had a genuinely decent shop near me I might be tempted, but in essence no-one gets to mess with any of my bikes as I don't trust them...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had another experience with my LBS where the owner turned down an easy couple of bob - my front wheel has a tiny bit of play in it, and a lad in work who has worked on many wheels in the past reckons that since it has about 20,000km on it, once you go near the hub, you may as well just replace the bearings as they owe you nothing.
    i don't own a bearing removal tool, and have never worked with cartridge bearings, so brought the bike around to the LBS and he said, 'sure just tighten up the nuts a hair and see how you go, and if that works, great, if not, bring it back to me'. and it's not the first time he's done something similar.

FWIW, if i do get him to replace the bearings (mavic aksium), it's €25 all in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

FWIW, if i do get him to replace the bearings (mavic aksium), it's €25 all in.

I was under the impression you couldn't do that with Askiums, I await Doozerie to set me straight as he knows more about Mavics than anyone IIRC but I thought Mavics were built for death (and in that regard, not surviviing it once it comes).

Either way if your shop sorts it for 25euro, I would say nope to the tightening and see can he pull it off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, as it turns out, my hubs can't be adjusted - well, they don't tale 17mm spanners, they're auto adjusting (the relevant part would be LV2370300 KIT FRONT AUTO ADJUSTING PLAY 15mm AXLE); they're different looking to non-disc aksiums, which can be disassembled with a spanner.
    and when i put the wheel back on the bike, the play has disappeared - even though the QR was done up nice and tight to begin with.

€25 saved, i guess.

Advertisement