Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaulted - what to do next

Options
  • 20-11-2019 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

So I was punched in the face last week causing a lip to my cut.

The guards said that I will need to provide a statement but said there were two ways of progressing. Think they said the first was that the accused persons details would be put into their system and the second would be to go to court? I'm a little confused as to what the norm is here.

Hoping someone might be able to clarify?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Would the first be a reported incident with no further action or caution?
    (So person gets a telling off from a guard and is recorded in Pulse as being involved in an assault)
    And the latter being a potential prosecution?
    (Court and possible conviction?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Can you post pictures of the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Zulu wrote: »
    Would the first be a reported incident with no further action or caution?
    (So person gets a telling off from a guard and is recorded in Pulse as being involved in an assault)
    And the latter being a potential prosecution?
    (Court and possible conviction?)

Oh that rings a bell! Thank you :)
    Effects wrote: »

I won't be providing any evidence online at this point in time sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Effects wrote: »

That for some fetish reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I think they mean they can take a statement, or take a statement and prosecute.
    I thought it was the gardai's decision but maybe they're asking if you want to take it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

kingtut wrote: »
    So I was punched in the face last week causing a lip to my cut.

The guards said that I will need to provide a statement but said there were two ways of progressing. Think they said the first was that the accused persons details would be put into their system and the second would be to go to court? I'm a little confused as to what the norm is here.

Hoping someone might be able to clarify?

Why were you punched in the face?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    That for some fetish reason?

Nah, just to see what level of assault it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

After initially reporting the matter a written "statement of complaint" is then required from an injured party. Along with this you will be asked by the Gardai for consent to access any medical records arising from the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What a stupid question.

There's no reason to be punched in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

GooglePlus wrote: »
    What a stupid question.

Not that stupid.

Clearing up provocation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

What a stupid question.

Eh, wha?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHtExhB54Q

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What a stupid question.

You're probably right although saying my post is stupid is one way of asking for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Think the guy was on something. It was completely unprovoked. I was just standing there minding my own business and he went for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

limnam wrote: »
    Not that stupid.

Clearing up provocation

Moderation: The injured party has asked about what they do no next. It's not for this thread to pretend to be counsel for the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Just curious what happened with this? I was assaulted and am of 2 minds about bringing to the attention of the Gardaí. It was in a pub and we got into an argument, I called him some names and he hit me...not sure if that would be consider me provoking him... will probably just leave it as I don’t want to ruin the persons life over something so minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Provoked or not doesn't give someone an excuse to get physical, as far as I know it's merely mitigation not a defence but I'm sure I'll be corrected on that if I'm wrong. That said it's probably more bother than it's worth if there is only a minor injury and the offender is known to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

limnam wrote: »
    Not that stupid.

Clearing up provocation

Theres no such thing. You don’t ever have the right to put your hands on anyone except in self defense. What is wrong with you?

Advertisement