Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,852 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

beertons wrote: »
    You wouldn't think anyone lived in that gaff if you saw it, broken windows, tiles missing off the roof. The land around it is in some state, I'd call him a few things, but a farmer he ain't.

That's a bit of a cheap shot in all fairness, we all live the way we choose to.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Easy to say when it's not your family home and legacy. It's a complex situation.

The irrational Irish attraction to the land resurfaces again.

the_syco wrote: »
    That is true. However, if Intel expands in Ireland, people in Ireland get employed, and other businesses get money from Intels staff.

Thanks for the lesson but I actually understood that before you pointed it out.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

blanch152 wrote: »
    The irrational Irish attraction to the land resurfaces again.

Seems to be Intel's attraction to Irish land is the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Of course you can once you go through the planning process. Do you think it should be circumvented to suit certain entities?

They are going through the planning process.

They don't exactly strike me as first on the list of a company out to make a sh!t of the environment to be honest.

And the planning docs appear to show this as well.

• Advertisement

Seems to be Intel's attraction to Irish land is the problem here.

????

Ugh, someone else deal with this one. I haven't the will power :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

From my understanding he doesn't want to give up his farm/land that has being in his family for generations.

If rather have millions of euro in my family for generations personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Erm, the problem for Ireland, Leixlip and West Dublin is Israel in this instance....

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Intel-to-invest-a-further-11-billion-in-Israel-operations-578973

Make no mistake we are up against them when it comes to investment decisions by Intel and unfortunately they are winning at the moment. That's not good for Leixlip.

If the were any good at getting F28 to deliver good product maybe. But most of F28 stuff comes to F24 to get finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The planning application has nothing to do with his land.

So Intel should not be allowed expand on this site ever because this man's land might eventually be CPO'ed for something else? :confused:

What kind of mickey mouse way would that be to go about things?

Intel approached the owner to buy the land, he refused to sell. Then the IDA illegally tried to CPO it, pure coincidence I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Easy to say when it's not your family home and legacy. It's a complex situation.

Legacy my hole. People need to learn to not get so attached to plots of grass.

• Advertisement

????

Ugh, someone else deal with this one. I haven't the will power :pac:

That post wasn't directed at you, why would you think it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They are going through the planning process.

It's also within his rights to object under the planning system. Prehaps his objection is borne out of spite I don't know, but I certainly agree with the right to object. It's up to the planners to decide if he has a valid objection or the court if he appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems to be plenty of space for intel to expand - might make sense for them to expand west but it's not like it's the only option.

caaEzbc.jpg
    Directly north is the Rye. They're as close to it as they can go. I don't think they can go any further west, due to random creatures habitat. Pretty sure there's little to no carparks there anymore; Intel has remote car parks that they shuttle in their staff. There are people who are better off using public transport to get to Intel, as they'd end up parking further away and getting a shuttle bus to Intel!

IMO, they should look into tunnelling. Tunnel south, and expand that way.

IMO, they should look into tunnelling. Tunnel south, and expand that way.[/quote]

Only cows go to work through tunnels

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Anyone who pays the fee and puts their objection/observation in writing is entitled to consideration by the planning authority.
    If an objection/observation is not sustainable under planning law it should not delay the application.
    An appeal may be lodged following the decision of the planning authority by either the developer or the objector which will cause some delay.
    Again if the appeal is frivolous or unsustainable the delay will be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

It's up to the planners to decide if he has a valid objection or the court if he appeals.

And as we learnt in Galway that's were things get dangerous - not because of his rights to do so but because of the insane amount of time and appeal after appeal - as in the Apple case.

Apple rightly just got pissed off and said "fcuk this" and gave up.

We are a laughing stock with our processes here.

The message from that case was that Ireland was the wild west in terms of planning so don't even bother.

Key objector was not even local. That was some nutter down in Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Madness to think that a private company could even get the IDA to attempt to CPO someones land. I thought that kind of carry on only happened in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Muckers: Everything goes to Dublin.

Muckers: No you can't build here.

IMO, they should look into tunnelling. Tunnel south, and expand that way.

Only cows go to work through tunnels[/QUOTE]

80,000+ cars use the Jack Lynch tunnel daily, they're not being driven by cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

And as we learnt in Galway that's were things get dangerous - not because of his rights to do so but because of the insane amount of time and appeal after appeal - as in the Apple case.

The message from that case was that Ireland was the wild west in terms of planning so don't even bother.

So change the process time, not the right to object. That's not the objectors fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

There's a film/documentary about his battle and victory last time. Wouldn't mind seeing it.

A nutter who wanted the Data Center built on his land in Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are we? Yet it doesn't seem to stop FDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Madness to think that a private company could even get the IDA to attempt to CPO someones land. I thought that kind of carry on only happened in the states.

How naive are you? Do you realise what an €8bn investment actually means both in terms of economic trickle-down and long term commitment to the facility?

There are countries that would burn out a neighbourhood with the folk still in residence for that plant.

There are a substantial cohort of people in this Country who bemoan a lack of opportunities for young people to get quality jobs with long term prospects and yet also bemoan investment as some sort of fat-cat nest feathering. Its a wonder we havent had dozens of Apple-Athenrys at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It was back about 2011 there somewhere. Emigration and unemployment were out through the roof.

Government may have been willing to try anything to improve things.

Id say Intel would have tried to make him a generous offer first, land cost is fairly small potatoes in the scale of costs in building those factories.

A nutter who wanted the Data Center built on his land in Wicklow

no no a brave gaelic hero son of the land actually

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The man doesn't have a family ie kids as far as I know so it's not for future generations of his own family he's fighting for. He seems to be fighting on matters of principal as he sees them.
    Well, that's just it. If he had kids, he would've sold up by now, to ensure his kids are set for life. But from the look of it, he's going to stay in the farm until he dies, as he has nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

if one fella needs to have a cpo hit him for 8bn to be invested then that is exactly what should happen

That's the kind of attitude that allows fracking. Its the same attitude that poisoned rivers from chemical run-offs, landfills that destroy the water tables,progress can be regressive.
    If the guy had any sense he'd put temporary accommodation blocks on his land and make a fortune from construction workers.

• Advertisement

Only cows go to work through tunnels
    Every major city has a underground rail system. Lots of people goto work by tunnels.

Advertisement