Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hive active heating on offer at Amazon right now.

£125 without installation for the heat or heat/water controller.
    £85 for the multizone controller

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Active-Heating-without-installation/dp/B011B3J6B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1480037321&sr=1-1&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Decent discounts on the Hive bulbs - if you can find a use for them or just want a new toy!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hive+bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Gmol wrote: »
    May be of interest but I got the Hive and a service from BG for 149 as long as I signed up for a 1 year contract

Were you a new customer switching from a different supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

SteM wrote: »
    Were you a new customer switching from a different supplier?

No I was an existing customer who was thinking about moving to a different supplier essentially they match ESB offer and also gave 1000 clubcard points

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

No I was an existing customer who was thinking about moving to a different supplier essentially they match ESB offer and also gave 1000 clubcard points

Gave them a call and they had no interest. They said they couldn't do any discount on the Hive installation. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

SteM wrote: »
    Gave them a call and they had no interest. They said they couldn't do any discount on the Hive installation. Ah well.

Strange that, got it a couple of months ago and was put onto the retention team as was leaving BG

put onto the retention team as was leaving BG

I'm guessing the retention team is the key.

For most organisations the retention team only kick in with the sweeteners when you're on the way out the door.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hive-Active-Plug-Works-Alexa/dp/B01B5P5Y6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480090950&sr=8-1&keywords=hive+socket

Hive plug 33% off = £26 = HAD to get one for the christmas lights, would be rude not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

can see myself adding motion sensors, door and window sensors and plugs down the line. I see someone mentioned they are trialling trv's which would be a great addition.

This IOT thread as seriously curtailed my work time!

THE ALM wrote: »
    can see myself adding motion sensors, door and window sensors and plugs down the line. I see someone mentioned they are trialling trv's which would be a great addition.

This IOT thread as seriously curtailed my work time!

Would definitely fancy a few smart TRVs for it, wouldn't need to do every rad but guess it depends what price point they come in at - might be a purchase for Black Friday 2017 hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 2006ciarn

I want to buy Hive without installation from Amazon and have a go installing myself just not sure if I need the with or without hot water option.

I have a gas boiler controlled directly from the boiler which heats all rads In house (or one zone) and hot water cyclinder. There's the main dial to select off, reset, water only or rads & water. The water only option on this main dial does nothing you have to select rads and water. There is also the main boiler thermostat/temperature level. Then there is a manual ring click timeclock. The only other control is a manual thermostat in the living room - with this set to anything between 20 to 30 degrees a motorised valve in the hot press is opened so that when the boiler is on rads and water are heated. Lowering this to 0 degrees shuts the valve so that when the boiler is on only the hot water cyclinder is heated and not the rads.

Which Hive do I need? Obviously I want to be able to control heat and water independently of each other if possible but because the fact that my current water setup is being controlled by a valve rather than the boiler doing anything different I'm not sure?

Help / advice appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

Do the Hive thermostats bought in the UK work over here? Some of the reviews on Amazon have people saying they can't register the app in Ireland to control them remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

Was lucky enough to get a Hive first generation free from Bord Gais. They said it was a thank you for having my boiler serviced with them for 6 years in a row. Had it fitted Friday. Nice surprise!!

MackMack wrote: »
    Do the Hive thermostats bought in the UK work over here? Some of the reviews on Amazon have people saying they can't register the app in Ireland to control them remotely.

Yes they do work.

There was a bit of confusion as I registered them on the UK site rather than the Irish site so my mobile number caused the registration to burp. Quick phonecall to Hive support and they had it all sorted in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Away for a few days but had the hive delivered today so will be able to check it out when back. Have to make a few changes to the plumbing so will be a while before up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

2006ciarn wrote: »
    Which Hive do I need? Obviously I want to be able to control heat and water independently of each other if possible but because the fact that my current water setup is being controlled by a valve rather than the boiler doing anything different I'm not sure?

Help / advice appreciated, thanks

Get the version with dual channel receiver (listed on Amazon as "Heating and Hot Water"). At worst, you will end up with a "hot water" button on the receiver that does nothing.

The single channel receiver ("Heating only") is for combi boilers which heat water on demand, so if you have a hot water cylinder then you almost certainly don't have one of these.

Here's the wiring for both receivers: https://plus.google.com/+ElvinNagamootoo/posts/f7sS5SDNqEB
    Check your boiler installation manual (Google make and model if you don't have a copy) and find the section with the wiring for an external time clock. You'll need this if you have any hope of installing the receiver yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi, is there temperature control on the hot water side of the stat,or is it just timed? Thanks.

bod71 wrote: »
    Hi, is there temperature control on the hot water side of the stat,or is it just timed? Thanks.

Two temperatures; on and off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Got this from Amazon yesterday (heat + hot water), works well. Registration as others have mentioned is a bit of a mess as Bord Gais don't believe we are capable of self-installing it so won't accept registrations that they didn't "install"
    I had no joy ringing the Hive support line either. Was told to send it back and pay BG to install the 4 wires for an extra €150.

However using a UK address allowed me to proceed with the registration on the UK site which works fine. Only issue is the app believes the "local" temp is whatever it is outside the Amazon office in London :D Makes no difference as I don't believe that temp is used by the Hive itself..

All in all quite a good setup , range between devices is good even in an old spread out dormer bungalow all work fine.

Will see how it behaves over the next few days!

S.

Got an Echo Dot to play around with - has a better sense of humour than some humans I know :pac:

Have it turning my Hive bulb on and off but haven't done much else with it yet other than ask it annoying questions!

Also got a Hive Plug for the Christmas tree lights as they end up plugged in behind the tree in a corner so very awkward to get to. Unfortunately once I added this device to my Hub it kicked my motion sensor to 'disconnected' - unplug the plug and sensor shows up back online. If Hive can't handle this many devices: heat/water/sensor/bulb/plug then it's very limited, but perhaps I just need to Google and see if others have had this issue/troubleshoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Do BG do the installation themselves or is it sub contracted out to someone

Do BG do the installation themselves or is it sub contracted out to someone

Mine was BG, assume they all are but not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

pm1977x wrote: »
    Mine was BG, assume they all are but not certain.

I just know EI sub contract the Nest installations so was wondering if BG done the same, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I have a horstmann controller on a combi boiler with 2h and 1w zone. Any wiring tips for the Hive controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hi, looking at getting the hive from Amazon. My boiler has a mechanical timer clock.
    Can the hive be fitted to this.
    If so am I after an electrician to fit??
    Thanks

Well, got my Hive stats from Amazon and when I tried to put the code into the app to get that working I'm having problems. The UK site needs a UK address/postcode to register and the Irish site just doesn't accept the code. Emailed them about it and am waiting for them to get back to me :(

MackMack wrote: »
    Well, got my Hive stats from Amazon and when I tried to put the code into the app to get that working I'm having problems. The UK site needs a UK address/postcode to register and the Irish site just doesn't accept the code. Emailed them about it and am waiting for them to get back to me :(

I used a random UK address/postcode, only thing that caused an issue was the Irish mobile number. Quick call to the UK 800 number using Skype and they sorted it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Anyone?

Hi, looking at getting the hive from Amazon. My boiler has a mechanical timer clock.
    Can the hive be fitted to this.
    If so am I after an electrician to fit??
    Thanks

Should be a straightforward enough job for an electrician to replace your time clock with the hive controller.

Nest can support 2 zones, 1 heat/1 water. If you have more heating zones you will an additional controller.

• Advertisement

I rang Hive Ireland today about the problem registering the app. According to them any stat bought over in the UK can't be registered here, usual excuse about being 2 different companies etc so any warranty work or replacements can only be sent to the registered address. Which means that if anything goes wrong you're sod out of luck. Luckily I hadn't installed them yet so they're going back in the box and getting sent back. Need to find an alternative now.

Advertisement