Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amsterdam or San Sebastian for 6 days first week of May?

• 19-01-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Been to Amsterdam twice and loved it, hear good things about San Sebastian. Any opinions cant decide🤔

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

San Sebastián all the way...spend a day or two in Bilbao and birratz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

San Seb for me. Fabulous spot. It is typically party central in the old town at the weekend, lots of tapas/pinxtos and a bit of mayhem too!

Can get a bus to Bayonne too which is great and then 1Euro from there on the bus back to Biarritz Airport.

It is just a bit different but totally enjoyable. Just my 10c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Thanks folks San seb does sound and look lovely. Now to go d some reasonable accom. Out of curiosity is San seb itself the best spot for accom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

zweton wrote: »
    Thanks folks San seb does sound and look lovely. Now to go d some reasonable accom. Out of curiosity is San seb itself the best spot for accom?

Been but never stayed there so can’t comment on accommodation, thoroughly enjoyed the place. Did stay a week in Bilbao which was fantastic, very reasonable and used it as a base to travel from to San Seb and other destinations. Buses are very reasonable too. From memory it was less than an hour. Handy too for Santander and other coastal towns. I would probably do the same again rather than stay in San Seb. If you haven’t been to Bilbao already, would recommend it. Can get a fair share of rain in those parts too however and recommend booking the bus in advance, don’t think you can just rock up on the day to get it.

Depends on what you want , in the old town there are lots of pensions/ guest houses / small hotels which are basically guest houses. Great location and nice. But if you want more if a hotel and facilities there’s the very fancy Maria Cristina, or Niza at more reasonable price. Then at the opposite end of la conche ( main beach) there’s some newer one.

I’d recommend staying in the old town

• Advertisement

Will I be able to get a direct bus from Biarritz to Bilbao first week of May do you think? Public transport from the airport seems sparse...I think I would like to try Bilbao as a base too for the week. Did you have a car? I wont have one myself.

Will I be able to get a direct bus from Biarritz to Bilbao first week of May do you think? Public transport from the airport seems sparse...I think I would like to try Bilbao as a base too for the week. Did you have a car? I wont have one myself.

Busses from Bilbao , or bus and train options from birratz. Although last time I went to San Sebastián also known as Donostia from birratz myself and my Wife shared . A taxi with two ladies ae meet at the airport looking up the train timetable. Only about 15 euro each.

Not sure about Bilbao to birratz direct.

https://www.sansebastianturismoa.eus/en/come/how-to-get-here

There is a bus from Bilbao direct to Bayonne. It's a great little town. From there the local bus will take you to Biarritz for a euro.

I'd just do two days in Bilbao, and the rest in either San Seb or Bayonne with a side trip to Biarritz.

Much nightlife/live music at night in San Beb or Bilbao ?

Much nightlife/live music at night in San Beb or Bilbao ?

San Seb is party central. Very civilised though, and people move from one Pintxo bar to the next. Similar to Tapas bars. There are lots of them, mostly out in the little pedestrian streets in the old Town. Very lively!

I didn't explore Bilbao at night TBH, I wasn't overly impressed with the place, but that's just me! I have no doubt that there is a night scene there too. Someone else may add more re Bilbao.

• Advertisement

San Seb is party central. Very civilised though, and people move from one Pintxo bar to the next. Similar to Tapas bars. There are lots of them, mostly out in the little pedestrian streets in the old Town. Very lively!

I didn't explore Bilbao at night TBH, I wasn't overly impressed with the place, but that's just me! I have no doubt that there is a night scene there too. Someone else may add more re Bilbao.

Great thanks, I think we will stick with San Seb. We are looking at this hotel, I know its not in the old town but its only a 20 minute walk or 5/10 min cab if we want to go out in old town at night. Plus its reasonable price. But do let me know if you think its a bad location :-)

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Silken+Amara+Plaza+San+Sebastián/@43.3077049,-1.9808147,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!3m7!1s0xd51affa1dea6957:0x26dfaaa1829b96a7!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d43.307701!4d-1.978626

https://www.hoteles-silken.com/en/

Great thanks, I think we will stick with San Seb. We are looking at this hotel, I know its not in the old town but its only a 20 minute walk or 5/10 min cab if we want to go out in old town at night. Plus its reasonable price. But do let me know if you think its a bad location :-)

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Silken+Amara+Plaza+San+Sebastián/@43.3077049,-1.9808147,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!3m7!1s0xd51affa1dea6957:0x26dfaaa1829b96a7!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d43.307701!4d-1.978626

https://www.hoteles-silken.com/en/

To be honest it’s a bit far out. For a central hotel look at the hotel Niza, londeres or Failing that and you want a more modern one look at hotel San Sebastián, it’s a bit of a walk it it’s along La Conca beach.
    The mericur on the hill is nice but remote at night

* edit: just remembered I stayed there ,it used to be beside the bus station but it’s moved across the river. Its not to far away as I originally said but still would recommend the others

Yeah I hear you but the central ones are a good bit more expensive.

Yeah I hear you but the central ones are a good bit more expensive.

Cool enjoy your trip. If you want to splash out with a fancy restaurant book ahead. If you want to surf head across the river to the other beach zurriola.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

SAN Sebastian is brilliant! If you can stay in the old town you’ll get the best out of it. Otherwise the Gros area would be fairly good as well.

We stayed in Lasala Plaza just after it opened and we got a good deal - although it seems to be a good bit more expensive now.

We stayed in Bilbao as well - we made the mistake of staying too far out, but it’s lovely.

We've been to Biarritz twice as well and liked it, but we booked to coincide with Fête de Bayonne, which is amazing, but it’s in July.

Advertisement