Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I used to live there. That last stretch was always a bit hairy with all the cars parked up because they’re too tight to park at the train station. Plenty of punishment passes for taking the lane and several doors blindly flung open in the mornings by people dropping people off for the train.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kander wrote: »
    I have this and it has been reliable for me for the last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3ZKDR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I specifically wanted the extra attachments so you might be able to get the same model camera a bit cheaper just by itself. Battery life is about an hour per charge.

Have that and the battery is ridiculous, only records about an hour before needing re-charging. Had awful issues with two of them and in fairness the customer service were good and they sent replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Probably thought either: you were cycling on the footpath, or you were breaking the red lights when there was a red light on the road next to the cycle lane.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jive wrote: »
    N11 between Donnybrook and Leeson Bridge, had a taxi man beep at me (i was in a shared cycle lane so not sure why)- went by him at lights, on the receiving end of a punishment pass then when he overtook again. Went by him again at next set of lights about 100m on, Leeson bridge pretty backed up as usual so never saw him again after. Can't understand the logic when 1) I was in the cycle lane and 2) he was never making more progress than me at rush hour on that road. Must have been having a bad morning?!
    professional-driver-32ec91f042.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

jive wrote: »
    N11 between Donnybrook and Leeson Bridge, had a taxi man beep at me (i was in a shared cycle lane so not sure why)- went by him at lights, on the receiving end of a punishment pass then when he overtook again. Went by him again at next set of lights about 100m on, Leeson bridge pretty backed up as usual so never saw him again after. Can't understand the logic when 1) I was in the cycle lane and 2) he was never making more progress than me at rush hour on that road. Must have been having a bad morning?!

You'll drive yourself nuts if you expect logical/analytical thinking from people like this - it's simply beyond them, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Kander wrote: »
    I have this and it has been reliable for me for the last year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B3ZKDR7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I specifically wanted the extra attachments so you might be able to get the same model camera a bit cheaper just by itself. Battery life is about an hour per charge.

I've had this one for about 6 months and it's been great. Really can't fault it. For the price, it's way better than I was expecting.

Battery isn't great as others have mentioned (I'd say about 45 mins tbh) but my commute is less than that so it's fine. It comes with 2 batteries. I also bought the separate charger which also comes with 2 batteries and when the camera arrived there was a voucher for a free gift which was either a) the battery charger again, b) a selfie stick or c) a floating handle for water use.

So I have plenty of spare batteries if I need one.

tnegun wrote: »
    Called it into Traffic Watch they weren't too sure would the gardai be in contact lots of non committals about what would happen next.
    That appears to be a standard response from AGS when it comes to the attempted killing of a person who is riding a bicycle.

That appears to be a standard response from AGS when it comes to the attempted killing of a person who is riding a bicycle.

They were very nice when I called and said that someone from the local station would be in touch but seeing some of the comments above I might be waiting a while to even make a statement

Another one found on Twitter (along Dublins North Strand): want to give blood? We will make contact with you...
    https://twitter.com/Petefkil/status/1220368357352001536?s=19

Hit & run driver caught after knocking down the Irish Times Assistant News Editor Kilian Doyle along Dublin's South quays.
    Driver was caught by two Traffic gardai who apparently gave the driver a ticket and fine :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/kiliandoyle/status/1220395162402246658

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Some people will never learn.

Saw an unbelievable incident this morning. Heading towards the city on the N3, just past the roundabout at the M50 junction 6 and coming to the lights at the Travelodge motel. I'm in the car, on a school run, so stopped at the lights at that huge 4-way junction (Dunsink Lane / Auburn avenue) when I see a cyclist whizz down from the Navan Road heading in the same direction as me overtaking cars in the middle of the traffic lanes.

Fair play to him, he burst down that slope like Sam Bennett in lane 3 with cars either side of him, at maybe 60kph and *somehow* got across to the safety of the left lane before the Topaz garage.

I was watching it with my heart in my mouth - all it would take is a single driver on the phone, on Facebook, or not paying attention, and he was crushed in front of me.

Was wearing club kit, looked like LCRC bib tights under a black jacket - but don't shoot me if I'm wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZx-5-v9nQ4

Had 2 close passes today, this one only 5 mins into my ride to work and second one near Airside in Swords. In work now so had to download software that only let me save one clip so can't be bothered to do the second one, but its very similar (It's also a VW as well....)

You can see from the position of the car wheels and the white line, that he made no physical effort to pull over at all. Video is muted so you can't hear my response...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's one for the gardai too.

Got a call from the Garda that took on my incident to come in and give over the whole memory card so he can take all the footage, not just the two minutes either side I've taken off and put on a memory stick. I hope he doesn't take my memory card now.

I could put on the whole clip on a memory stick if he wants

^^^^
    Apparently you can send it to your local super (according to an email i received fron thw Roads Policing Unit) so if he asks to keep the sd card say no and offer to (somehow) mail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've given probably about 50 statements with video submissions over the past few years and I've never been asked for this. I'd suggest that he's confused over the nature of helmet cameras vs CCTV systems.

Jees, that's mad. I've been cycling in Dublin for over 20 years and I think I've called traffic watch 4 times and made a written statement once. Mind you they've all been within the last 2 years so I'm improving.

RobbieMD wrote: »
    The correct procedure for CCTV is the Garda ought to retain the original Cctv. Doesn’t matter if it’s dash cam, helmet cam or from a business or residence. The original Cctv is copied several times. One is kept as a working copy for the garda to watch. Other copies are for disclosure to the defence, the DPP etc. The original is supposed to be kept in the Garda’s property and exhibits management system- PEMS. There is talk that these procedures may change to make using Cctv easier in future, but for the time being, this is what’s expected for the prosecution to present footage in evidence.

A statement is taken from the person who downloaded the footage to state they didn’t alter edit or change the recording along with other proofs for court. It could be argued that if you deleted the original recording or lost it, then the one presented to the court is an altered version. Of course that’s more so an argument for the defence to make, and it’s less likely to present as an issue at district court level, but nonetheless the Garda is correct to seek the original.

Perhaps he/she is seeking more footage than the two minutes either side, as the other person has made an allegation against you McLove? Has the Garda said what type of statement they’re taking from you? A witness statement means just that, however the norm for “drivers” including cyclists is a cautioned statement, whereby the formal caution is inserted at the commencement of the statement and whatever you state may be used against you.

They just asked if I wanted to make a statement and to come in and bring the helmet cam footage with me. Two mins either side really wouldn't show anything to suggest they would have grounds for complaint.

I've no problem handing over the footage but not the sd card. I think I'll just copy it over to the memory stick and give it to him.

Irish people really don’t seem to understand the point of a bicycle bell. They see it as an affront to their personal dignity rather than simply an indication of your presence.

Don’t get me started on the walkers in the Phoenix Park cycle lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

5uspect wrote: »
    Irish people really don’t seem to understand the point of a bicycle bell. They see it as an affront to their personal dignity rather than simply an indication of your presence..

The Guy who came from behind me and dinged, dinged again and forcefully dinged again at me walking an a narrow footpath an a bridge certainly got the affront spoken to him this morning.

To be fair, it's the first time I've heard a bell used correctly to indicate presence in this country in a good while. I told him so too :-) but I thought that if he wants to make progress to use the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I was at the junction at Harold's Cross bridge at about 1am this morning, heading towards town. There was a driver turning right onto the canal, and a taxi driver behind him who wasn't in the mood for waiting. He swung out left to go around him just as I was about to go past, and I had to brake hard. Presumably, since I only had two 200 lumen lights on the front, and wasn't wearing hi viz after my evening out, he couldn't see me at any stage between starting his manoeuvre, then indicating, then looking over his left shoulder, then making eye contact with me, then stopping and then deciding "ah feck it" and going anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you were indicating and he went up the inside of you I'd say it was his fault unless there's a dedicated bike lane there?
    Just for clarity if there was a cycle lane it wouldn't make a difference. Cycle lanes (cycle tracks) do not give cyclists right of way-which is one of the reasons such non - segregated ones are so dangerous because some people do think it gives them right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

The cycle manual implies otherwise for dedicated lanes with solid as opposed to broken white lines. https://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/designing/4-5-left-turns/

The cycle manual is (unfortunately) not the law.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If there is a cycle lane (solid line) the car is crossing a lane of traffic. When entering or crossing a lane of traffic you don't have right of way the lane of traffic does.

My understanding is that a cycle “lane” is not a lane. It’s a cycle “track” and different laws apply. A cyclist can pass a vehicle on the inside, but not if it’s indicating to turn left. In that case, the driver of the left turning vehicle has right of way provided he/she has given clear signal of their intention.

The solid line indicates a stupidly named “mandatory cycle track” i.e. you can’t drive or park a vehicle in it during its hours of operation.

I’m open to correction on this, but that is what I’ve picked up from the various unclear sources I’ve read.

It’s a load of rubbish and is yet another reason we need proper segregated cycling infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't know about this case but most the time you really do have to take the lane and make sure they have to leave that lane to get past.

e "...as per the rules of the road you can't drive in the middle of the lane"

wtf is this BS now :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

MojoMaker wrote: »
    wtf is this BS now :confused:

Actual facts/rules/laws don't matter with these idiots. They just make up their own sh1t to suit their angry primitive little minds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Bad drivers in all marques and as many in bangers as luxury vehicles.
    It's official: The fancier the car, the more likely the driver's a jerk
    https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/Rich-peo.html

Seems to have been a late indicator but I’d personally have been moving out into the lane there.

On the other hand, I was using a bus/cycle lane this evening and a driver in a Micra overtook me in the driving lane on the right. I could just sense they were going to do something and sure enough the left indicator went on a couple of seconds later, approaching a turn off to the left. I pulled out into the driving lane behind as I reckon they wouldn’t see me.

It turns out they did (I think). But then they hadn’t a notion where I’d gone when I went behind them and just sat in the driving lane with the indicator on. I went around them.

• Advertisement

it's simple as far as i'm concerned - going through a junction like that with the motorised traffic moving like that, you match the speed of the traffic, by slipping into their lane. safest way of doing it; and you make yourself more visible to oncoming traffic which is turning across your lane.

Late on the indicators for sure but still my self preservation instinct would not have allowed me to have ended up in the position that guy did. Car is 100% wrong but he had time to see that indicator as he was still behind. No point in being right and dead!!!

How is the car (or even the driver) 100% wrong?

Here's the law: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112384088&postcount=272

I've stuck it in the legislation thread for posterity.

buffalo wrote: »
    Here's the law: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112384088&postcount=272

I've stuck it in the legislation thread for posterity.
    unfortunately the presence of bike lanes confuses people as to whether the car has right of way or not, as the argument is they're changing lanes but the cyclist has priority in their own lane.
    i can't see that as anything but moot, the fact that the car is indicating implies it's changing lanes, regardless of the presence of a cycle lane.

Incident took place in June, don't think the legislation was in effect then.

At least the driver was sanctioned, but it’s a shame you have to pester the Gardaí to do anything.

I think I’ll have to start using a rear camera, I’ve had a few incidents of aggressive drivers behind me on Strawberry Beds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    This is where correct road positioning comes in as someone pointed out above - those painted lines are not a guarantee of being safe

Yes. The best thing to do is take the lane and merge with other traffic when approaching and moving through a junction. Removes all ambiguity and cuts down on dangerous overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Going from Thomas St to the Coombe yesterday a woman in a Micra drove very close, but there I should have, as I usually do, move to the centre of that part narrow road to the right of St Catherine's COI. You cannot give space for bad overtaking, even if it results in occasional menaces from the usual white vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

5uspect wrote: »
    Irish people really don’t seem to understand the point of a bicycle bell. They see it as an affront to their personal dignity rather than simply an indication of your presence.

Don’t get me started on the walkers in the Phoenix Park cycle lanes.

It's because car horns are typically used aggressively so most people think bike riders are being equivalently aggressive using their bell.

I don't get it, what was his arm out for? Signalling? Waving? Stretching? :confused:

speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles. plus, a bicycle usually doesn't have a speedo (nor is required to have one).

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got a call from the Garda that took on my incident to come in and give over the whole memory card so he can take all the footage, not just the two minutes either side I've taken off and put on a memory stick. I hope he doesn't take my memory card now.

I could put on the whole clip on a memory stick if he wants

Update: Garda told me his hours, 7am-3pm, arrive a few mins after 7. Go to the desk, oh he's not in yet. You can wait if you like. I was like sure. Waited for 20 mins and got up and walked out.

Might see if I can post the memory stick when I call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    This happens to me a reasonable amount. I'm not especially fast so if I am passing you, you probably have a heavy bike or you're taking your time. I can't tell you the number of times I've passed a much slower (male) cyclist (to the point where it's difficult to cycle behind them) only for them to pull in front of me at a red light and start the whole process again. Again and again.

That's called shoaling and the idiots do that everyone, nothing to do with gender. Used to drive me nuts when I cycled along the grand canal to work as it was so difficult to pass them out in the narrow cycle path again.

Had a punishment pass this morning. I overtook the traffic waiting at the lights but they turned green as I got to the front. I'm on an ebike so I figured it better to accelerate out in front and pull back in, I could probably have handled it better.

The Lexus driver seemingly didn't like that.

TheChizler wrote: »
    We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

Always seem to do this, it would be the exact same when overtaking in a car.
    Stark wrote: »
    That's called shoaling and the idiots do that everyone, nothing to do with gender. Used to drive me nuts when I cycled along the grand canal to work as it was so difficult to pass them out in the narrow cycle path again.

Had this on my way home yesterday, actually got a bit of surprise that someone was tailgating behind me for ages until I got to a hill and managed to put a bit of distance between us.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Shoaling (aka being a c**t) is shoaling no matter who you do it to.

TheChizler wrote: »
    We ask that cars don't pass us within an arm span, why not other cyclists? What if they swerved a foot or two around something into your path, one of the common arguments used for a safe passing law? Common courtesy.

I agree with this. I nearly hit another cyclist today as he was overtaking me very closely. I was going to overtake another cyclist ahead of me, and in the process of doing my shoulder check I veered ever so slightly and nearly hit into this other guy to my right, he was that close. I apologised and no harm done but when I thought about it afterwards, he really should have been further out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yet again this morning at the first roundabout on Chesterfield Av at the Castleknock end of the Phoenix Park a car sails through the roundabout without looking or yielding. I was already on the roundabout taking the 3rd exit down Chesterfield Avenue with a strong front light and the ever fabled high-vis so had to jam on or he’d have taken me out of it. I let a roar which frightened him and caused him to mount the roundabout itself so I believe it wasn’t malicious, just another brain dead motorist. I have the reg which shows the NCT expired in Jun 2019 so one for traffic watch I think. Maybe if I make enough complaints they’ll do something to improve the layout, probably the most dangerous section of my commute which also includes the quays and city centre traffic with commuters using the park as an early morning racetrack.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Suppose I'm driving and I have a cyclist in front of me. It may take a while to overtake them but eventually I do. When stopped at the next traffic light, the cyclist moves ahead of me and the whole process starts again.

Am I allowed to call this shoaling and complain about the cyclist? If not, why not? What's the difference?

Of course. The same should apply regardless of whether you're in a bike or a car. Only overtake if you're going to make progress. I'd only move up at the lights if there's a chance I wouldn't make it through at the next sequence, i.e. a chance I'd stay ahead of the people who've just overtaken me.

Fian wrote: »
    You can check if a given registration number has a valid NCT? Seriously? where?

Not going to mention GDPR.
    NCTS.ie - go to make a booking for the reg and it will tell you when the cert expires - this is my car...

501495.png

Edit: beaten to it by your edit

No record of my car. Assuming it's because they only have cars on file that have done at least one previous NCT?

• Advertisement
Advertisement