Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light bulb smart adaptor

Options
  • 21-01-2020 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Just ventured into the world of google Home. Is it possible to buy a good bulb smart adaptor rather than a smart bulb itself ( not the adaprtors that don't need a hub)? The only ones I've found are on Amazon and seem to have very mixed reviews. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

dok_golf wrote: »
    Just ventured into the world of google Home. Is it possible to buy a good bulb smart adaptor rather than a smart bulb itself ( not the adaprtors that don't need a hub)? The only ones I've found are on Amazon and seem to have very mixed reviews. TIA

So, a smart plug as opposed to a smart bulb ?

Why do you prefer one option over the other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

A smart bulb socket is the thing I'm after. The smart bulbs have an average lifespan of 2 years. I'm hoping to get a lot longer out of the socket and can use our normal bulbs which have a longer lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A smart bulb socket is the thing I'm after. The smart bulbs have an average lifespan of 2 years. I'm hoping to get a lot longer out of the socket and can use our normal bulbs which have a longer lifespan.

Where did you hear about the two year life ? That’s nonsense.

Any links to the smart bulb sockets you are talking about, I've not heard of them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

you are probably looking at something like the sonoff slampher, I would imagine when you add a bulb to this it becomes bulky and is only available in E27 size.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Where did you hear about the two year life ? That’s nonsense.
    Got that wrong, its a 2 year guarantee

Any links to the smart bulb sockets you are talking about, I've not heard of them before.

https://tinyurl.com/r9xndlh

Honest opinon, a messy solution, I would go for an inline smart switch as first option, follwed by smart bulbs as second option.

Whats an inline smart switch??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That would also have the same warranty just get a smart lamp/bulb

• Advertisement

just googled that. Would that mean i would have a smart switch hanging from the ceiling between the wiring loom/rose/ whatever you call it, and the bulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

We have Phillips hue throughout the house, find them very good tbh

just googled that. Would that mean i would have a smart switch hanging from the ceiling between the wiring loom/rose/ whatever you call it, and the bulb?

No, it is either

A) a direct replacement of your existing wall switch with a smart switch
    B) a smart relay hidden behind your light switch

Have a look at fibaro z wave modules for example. Neutral required in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

What's the problem with smart bulbs? We have one Kasa - it's good, but the adapter makes it bulky. We also have several Nedis - neater, because no adapter, but no sunrise/sunset option on the schedule, but neat and cheap as chips. No hubs needed.

vienne86 wrote: »
    What's the problem with smart bulbs? We have one Kasa - it's good, but the adapter makes it bulky. We also have several Nedis - neater, because no adapter, but no sunrise/sunset option on the schedule, but neat and cheap as chips. No hubs needed.

They have their place, but there are better solutions, smart switches are much better for basic smart lighting. Smart bulbs are excellent for lamps and mood lighting etc.

Advertisement