Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vienna in March

• 12-01-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Heading to Vienna in March, any suggestions for things to do or places to stay,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you have time, a night or two in Bratislava is highly recommended (We spent 4 nights there as we took a whole day trip Communism tour)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Go for dinner in Loca. If you are into food and wine you won’t regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Block off 6 hours for Schonbrunn Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any recommendations or somewhere reasonable to stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

https://hotel-bb.at/en/hotel/wien-hbf/

Stayed here on Friday night for €53

Previously stayed here at the Novotel:

https://all.accor.com/hotel/8565/index.en.shtml

Wasn't impressed to be asked for a damages deposit on arrival

The first possibly offers better value, but is more basic - depends what you are after I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If you have time, a night or two in Bratislava is highly recommended (We spent 4 nights there as we took a whole day trip Communism tour)

Why if they are looking for things to do in vienna are you telling them to go to bratislava?
    I want things to do in cork.no go to Dublin instead.

Why if they are looking for things to do in vienna are you telling them to go to bratislava?

It's only 1 hr away by bus

Because a day trip to Bratislava is often included in a trip to Vienna. And vice versa, as we did.

abarkie wrote: »

This.

The other poster obviously didn't bother to look at a map before making a snide reply. They did a good job of making a clown of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wouldn't rush to Bratislava....it's a bit of a kip imo compared to Vienna...the people aren't friendly....but beer is cheap.

Tonnes of things to do in vienna, the mueseums are outstanding, I personally loved the natural history mueseum.
    Loads of lovely bars and restaurants in Vienna as well.
    Mama Liu Asian place, lovely gyoza. Osteria di Giovanni excellent and very cheap Italian. Cocktail bar bestens is really nice with great bartenders

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I wouldn't rush to Bratislava....it's a bit of a kip imo compared to Vienna...the people aren't friendly....but beer is cheap.

Tonnes of things to do in vienna, the mueseums are outstanding, I personally loved the natural history mueseum.
    Mama Liu Asian place, lovely gyoza. Osteria di Giovanni excellent and very cheap Italian. Cocktail bar bestens is really nice with great bartenders

This will be my last comment as I don't want to detail the thread.

I actually quite liked Bratislava. I didn't find people unfriendly nor did I find it a kip. It was also DIRT cheap, compared to Vienna.

Vienna is indeed beautiful, I was only recommending Bratislava incase the OP had time to spare / wanted to see a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bratislava is probably the cleanest city or town I have ever visited, so to call it a kip is extremely harsh.

In Vienna, there is some lovely architecture. A visit to Hundertwasserhaus is worth a look, if you have time.

114977460-hundertwasserhaus-in-landstrabe-district-vienna-city-austria.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Bratislava is a must. Beautiful little city. You've got to go to the opera in Vienna also. Schonbrunn Palace is a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

This.

The other poster obviously didn't bother to look at a map before making a snide reply. They did a good job of making a clown of themselves.

Excuse me. .i have been to vienna and there's enough to do there for a month besides being one of the nicest cities in the world.and did the op mention going out of vienna no they didn't so keep your smart comments to yourself.

Brstislava isn't in vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Acosta

FitzShane wrote: »
    Block off 6 hours for Schonbrunn Palace.

Agreed. Worth going even just to walk around the grounds and gardens.

Go to Bratislava for a day trip. Lovely place. 10 years since I've been to either there or Wien but it's really east meets west stuff. Very cool. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

gmisk wrote: »

Would agree, the natural history museum is beautiful, will take a good 3 hours to get around it, if it's what your into.

The prater amusement park is a good laugh, again if you enjoy that kind of fun.

The ferris wheel is also nice, lovely views over vienna, but can involve a bit of a wait as there are always queues there.

It's a beautiful city with some much to see and do, so I would advise to plan your time there wisely. Also look into the vienna pass, there are savings to be made if you plan on visiting alot of the attractions vienna has to offer.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but if it was a toss up between Vienna and Amsterdam which one you choose?

zweton wrote: »
    Sorry to go a bit off topic but if it was a toss up between Vienna and Amsterdam which one you choose?

Chalk and cheese, depends what you're into.

Chalk and cheese, depends what you're into.

Ya I hear ya, Amsterdam prob more fun...not really into history, museums too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

If you're not into history, museums or opera I'd steer clear of Vienna to be honest. It's a very clean, pleasant city but it wouldn't be for everyone.

That said, if history, museums and opera are your interests I'd say you could fill two weeks in the city easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

https://hotel-bb.at/en/hotel/wien-hbf/

Stayed here on Friday night for €53

Previously stayed here at the Novotel:

https://all.accor.com/hotel/8565/index.en.shtml

Wasn't impressed to be asked for a damages deposit on arrival

The first possibly offers better value, but is more basic - depends what you are after I guess

Just had a look at the first hotel seems just right but see mention of building works was this an issue for you

marieky21 wrote: »
    Just had a look at the first hotel seems just right but see mention of building works was this an issue for you

Didn't stay long enough really

Arrived Friday night 11pm

Departed Sat morning 745am

There were cranes and construction equipment on one side of the hotel, but not in use when I left

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

Didn't stay long enough really

Arrived Friday night 11pm

Departed Sat morning 745am

There were cranes and construction equipment on one side of the hotel, but not in use when I left

Thank you for that information, booked an air bnb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Volksoper was one of the highlights of our trip, true Austrian experience of Opera. Avoid the touristy ones. Danube Tower has an amazing view, the ferris wheel at prater, cafe Central, the cathedral.

There is lots of museums and palaces. Probably the best museums I've ever been in. Vienna is beautiful and very underrated city. Don't get the need to see Bratislava. I rather take my time exploring one area rather than cramming too much in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

zweton wrote: »

Eh if you don't like crowds and want a peaceful enough holiday with good array of museums then Vienna, if you want nightlife and long queues then Amsterdam.

Advertisement