Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

June City Break

• 22-01-2020 7:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for a city break in June? Last city break was Lisbon and loved it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Short flight to Nantes? An hour and ten minutes with Ryanair. Bus from airport to city centre. Cheap.

Hop on train to coast....recommend Le Croisic for a lunch and stroll around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a city break in June? Last city break was Lisbon and loved it.

San Francisco is lovely at that time of year..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Direct Ryanair flights from Dublin to Kyiv starting next month.

Lots of places - it really depends what you're looking for though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm just back from a lads weekend in Groningen, Netherlands - 2hr train ride from Amsterdam/Schiphol (train station is IN the airport). Fantistic spot - will be returning with the missus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Hooked wrote: »
    I'm just back from a lads weekend in Groningen, Netherlands - 2hr train ride from Amsterdam/Schiphol (train station is IN the airport). Fantistic spot - will be returning with the missus.

I try to get to the Netherlands every other year. I have never been to Groningen though as I tend to stick to the other side of Amsterdam. Was the train journey from Schipol direct with no changing of trains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ruby Ring wrote: »

City breaks... All depends on budget, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, London, Manchester , ....goto Prague, Gdansk, Vilnius, try Monaco, ...many other destinations could provide a city break.

What do you want from a city break ? Places to see?, things to do ? Or just a change of weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

I try to get to the Netherlands every other year. I have never been to Groningen though as I tend to stick to the other side of Amsterdam. Was the train journey from Schipol direct with no changing of trains?

Both options were available. I think it was direct every 60min and 1 quick change on the 30 min. We were up in 2 trains and back in one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Berlin, Madrid, Stockholm, Rome, Budapest, Seville all good at that time of year. Cheap too, Stockholm aside but its not that expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Edinburgh a great city break only 40 min flight . Plenty to see and do there and all walkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Have done a June break in Stockholm and it was excellent.Lots going on Stockholm Marathon and a brilliant outdoor food festival took place around the bank holiday. Weather was pleasant and got to visit the Vasa Museum ( my favourite) and the UNESCO Viking island of Birka without any crowds being around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

Madrid is a nice city, the small bars and the " pintos " which are like tapas worth a look. the airport to the city centre is very handy, 2 metros underground, with one changeover, simples and about 1.50 !! cheap city, felt safe and id give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How about Utrecht in Netherlands? Worth a few nights or better off in Amsterdam for the lot?

how does Seville compare to Madrid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

zweton wrote: »
    how does Seville compare to Madrid ?

Much smaller, much hotter. A lot of it shuts down from 2pm to 6pm everyday due to the heat between late June and August. Great city though. Everywhere walkable and more tapas bars than you can shake a stick at.

Early June is usually about 25-28c but late June and into July it gets to the mid to late 30s every day which can impact a holiday. Was 41c one day I was there.

Loved it though.

Going first week of May so should be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

heading to seville myself in March / April....first time. hopefully not too busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Any thoughts on Talking, Estonia?

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Talking, Estonia?

Tallin, I presume?
    Nice city, lovely old part to it. Not as cheap as it used to be but still not bad. The country is booming.
    You can take a ferry over to Helsinki also for a day or two. It's about 2 hours.
    It's also about 4 hours drive to Riga, Latvia

Don't know much about the nightlife in Tallinn, but there's plenty of restaraunts & places to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I've been to Prague and Bordeaux in the last year or so, would recommend either

Advertisement