Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift Tax? - Profit made from sale put in to new house build with partner

• 20-01-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

I am currently in the process of selling my house which i built years ago (in my name) and stand to make a profit. My partner and i (not married) are currently looking to build - we have a site in mind subject to planning so our plan is to buy the site, put the money i make in to building the new house and getting a small mortgage for the balance. I have read online that as i will be making a bulk contribution towards the build that we will have to pay gift tax. Do you know if this is correct or are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It depends on the ownership of the new build, including the site AND the status of your relationship with your partner.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cat-exemptions/exemption-on-transfers-between-spouses-or-civil-partners/index.aspx

Exemption on transfers between spouses or civil partners
    If you receive a gift or inheritance from your spouse or civil partner, that gift or inheritance is exempt from Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT).

If you are not married and don't have civil partner status, your partner will the liable for CAT if you in effect gift her half the site/house by way of joint ownership

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Kildare263 wrote: »
    Hi

I am currently in the process of selling my house which i built years ago (in my name) and stand to make a profit. My partner and i (not married) are currently looking to build - we have a site in mind subject to planning so our plan is to buy the site, put the money i make in to building the new house and getting a small mortgage for the balance. I have read online that as i will be making a bulk contribution towards the build that we will have to pay gift tax. Do you know if this is correct or are there any other solutions?

Thanks

How the house is split will be the main issue. If the house is split 50/50 there is a gift element. On the other hand

If you are putting 200k cash into the house and getting a joint mortgage for 200k. If the deeds show the house as 75% you and 25% your partner there would be no gift element. Not sure if the bank would be happy with this idea.

Advertisement