Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castlegarden XA53HV Mower With Honda Engine

• 17-01-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Has anyone ever used one of these and how do they rate it? I currently have a mower with a Tecumseh 5HP engine and don't want to buying anything with less power. The Honda GCV160 engine on the Castlegarden has been replaced by a GCV145 on newer models (2.1 KW = 2.8HP at 2900 RPM). Dealer highly highly recommends it. The cheaper Castlegarden with a steel deck has a higher powered Honda GCV190, but a high lift blade can't be fitted. Will be cutting 1/2 acre of grass, and my 20 year old Tecumseh struggles if there's a lot of moss, so not sure what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Ideally if the dealer does a demo on your lawn with the mower if he is so sure, then he has a sale if you are satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Moss takes a lot of power from the engine. 2.8 HP sounds very low. My Hondas were all 5/6 HP & tuned to give closer to 7/8.

The sharpness of the blade makes a huge difference with moss

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EugenesDIYDen

Discodog wrote: »
    Moss takes a lot of power from the engine. 2.8 HP sounds very low. My Hondas were all 5/6 HP & tuned to give closer to 7/8.

The sharpness of the blade makes a huge difference with moss

Engine is 4.2 HP at 3600 RPM (that's the speed HP is always quoted at, but engines never run that fast, torque is highest at about 2500 to 3000 RPM though). I try to keep the blade sharp, important at the start of the season when moss has built up over the winter.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/engine-model-details?p_p_id=enginedetail_WAR_enginedetail&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-4&p_p_col_count=1&_enginedetail_WAR_enginedetail_display=specifications&e=85

Engine is 4.2 HP at 3600 RPM (that's the speed HP is always quoted at, but engines never run that fast, torque is highest at about 3000 RPM though). I try to keep the blade sharp, important at the start of the season when moss has built up over the winter.

http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/engine-model-details?p_p_id=enginedetail_WAR_enginedetail&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-4&p_p_col_count=1&_enginedetail_WAR_enginedetail_display=specifications&e=85

I always increase the revs on my Hondas. They used to be governed to meet noise regs. My 21 inch rear roller is almost jogging speed :)

It's where a hydrostatic drive earns it's keep as you can increase the revs without increasing the ground speed.

Discodog wrote: »
    I always increase the revs on my Hondas. They used to be governed to meet noise regs. My 21 inch rear roller is almost jogging speed :)

It's where a hydrostatic drive earns it's keep as you can increase the revs without increasing the ground speed.

Probably an expensive machine though, about €1200?

• Advertisement

Probably an expensive machine though, about €1200?

Yes possibly more here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Has anyone ever used one of these and how do they rate it? I currently have a mower with a Tecumseh 5HP engine and don't want to buying anything with less power. The Honda GCV160 engine on the Castlegarden has been replaced by a GCV145 on newer models (2.1 KW = 2.8HP at 2900 RPM). Dealer highly highly recommends it. The cheaper Castlegarden with a steel deck has a higher powered Honda GCV190, but a high lift blade can't be fitted. Will be cutting 1/2 acre of grass, and my 20 year old Tecumseh struggles if there's a lot of moss, so not sure what to do.

Wouldn't go near a 2.8HP lawnmower for an urban back garden never mind 1/2 acre of mossy ground. I have 2 mowers: a 5 HP Honda 18 inch and a 7.5HP Simplicity 21 inch. Both good machines because I do a bit of contract mowing.

How much is your dealer quoting for the new machine?

veetwin wrote: »
    Wouldn't go near a 2.8HP lawnmower for an urban back garden never mind 1/2 acre of mossy ground. I have 2 mowers: a 5 HP Honda 18 inch and a 7.5HP Simplicity 21 inch. Both good machines because I do a bit of contract mowing.

How much is your dealer quoting for the new machine?

Around $800. Remember it's a 4.2 HP, 2.8 HP at 2800. I'm using a 5HP at the moment and don't have any problems cutting 4 inch long grass. This is a fairly consistent price from what I can see for mowers with an engine of that power. Most machines now seem to have general purpose mulching blade. Honda mowers with Honda engines are even dearer, over €1000. Probably paying extra for the Honda brand though, and also the alu deck. If you can find a link to a mower with a GCV190 and high lift blade and steel deck, that would be great.

Around $800. Remember it's a 4.2 HP, 2.8 HP at 2800. I'm using a 5HP at the moment and don't have any problems cutting 4 inch long grass. This is a fairly consistent price from what I can see for mowers with an engine of that power. Most machines now seem to have general purpose mulching blade. Honda mowers with Honda engines are even dearer, over €1000. Probably paying extra for the Honda brand though, and also the alu deck. If you can find a link to a mower with a GCV190 and high lift blade and steel deck, that would be great.

I don't know any mowers with the gcv190 that are cheaper and have a steel deck but if your using Google to try and find one honda have replaced the gcv190 with gcv200

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2018/p180613eng-gcv.html

Do something about the miss and it will make a huge difference. I reckon well over 50% of the power is used trying to get through moss. It doesn't pack into a bag well either. A bag of sulphate if iron is €16 and will cover 200sqm. (450 in theory but you will need double for the first time if moss is heavy) Try a section of the lawn now with one bag and see the difference in cutting in march.

I don't know any mowers with the gcv190 that are cheaper and have a steel deck but if your using Google to try and find one honda have replaced the gcv190 with gcv200

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2018/p180613eng-gcv.html

Do something about the miss and it will make a huge difference. I reckon well over 50% of the power is used trying to get through moss. It doesn't pack into a bag well either. A bag of sulphate if iron is €16 and will cover 200sqm. (450 in theory but you will need double for the first time if moss is heavy) Try a section of the lawn now with one bag and see the difference in cutting in march.

Yes, I noticed that they had replaced it, and the GCV160 by a GCV170. I treat my lawn with iron sulphate normally (even ended up writing a guide about it: https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Easy-Guide-to-Killing-Moss-in-Lawns, it's really just the first cut that's the worst.

• Advertisement

Yes, I noticed that they had replaced it, and the GCV160 by a GCV170. I treat my lawn with iron sulphate normally (even ended up writing a guide about it: https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Easy-Guide-to-Killing-Moss-in-Lawns), it's really just the first cut that's the worst.

That link doesn't work when I click it but I found it here. https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Easy-Guide-to-Killing-Moss-in-Lawns

What rate are you putting the liquid on at? How many litres per 100sqm say. I've probably been using way too much.

That link doesn't work when I click it but I found it here. https://dengarden.com/landscaping/Easy-Guide-to-Killing-Moss-in-Lawns

What rate are you putting the liquid on at? How many litres per 100sqm say. I've probably been using way too much.

Sorry there was an extra right bracket in the URL that got hyperlinked.
    I reckon about 6 or 7 square metres per litre (for a 2000 square foot lawn, I fill the 5 litre sprayer maybe 6 times, so that's what the concentration works out at) and 3 x 7 grams (7g = heaped teaspoon) of iron sulphate) per litre of water. You possibly could use less, I haven't tried reducing concentration. When I divide the lawn into strips, I do a couple of passes left and right with the sprayer wand then move on. I never had any problem with the iron sulphate dissolving in water, but the last stuff I got (Westland Garden Products), had lots of impurities, seemed to be like fine sand, and kept blocking up the sprayer nozzle.

Advertisement