Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to stop hares destroying your Garden

• 10-01-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Would you have any suggestion on how to stop hares eating plants in your garden?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Netting fence round the perimeter of the garden.
    You could also use plastic tree guards to protect individual trees.

They are lovely animals, you might miss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

Brianboy wrote: »
    Would you have any suggestion on how to stop hares eating plants in your garden?

Eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I’d prefer to see hares in my garden than flowers, fabulous animals, lucky you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Brianboy wrote: »

Shotgun.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've to resort to shooting native animals to protect your garden, you shouldn't have a garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭macraignil

Adopted a couple of dogs that were abandoned just over a year and a half ago and not seen any sign of the hares that were about the place previously since then. Don't think the dogs would be fast enough to catch them but the hares probably have the sense to steer clear of them.

Used some sections of drainage pipe as tree guards before that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

regular manpiss around the perimeter works a treat for this and other problems.
    it can be attained a number of ways, i produce my own myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

I witnessed my dogs gobbling a few young hares last year. Not seen any since
    I second the manpiss !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Shaunoc wrote: »
    I witnessed my dogs gobbling a few young hares last year. Not seen any since
    I second the manpiss !

If your dogs are killing native wildlife they should never be allowed off the lead. First time I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you let it happen again tbh you shouldn't be allowed keep a dog. That's irresponsible and frankly idiotic. And I'm struggling to remain civil here.

if you've to resort to shooting native animals to protect your garden, you shouldn't have a garden.

Careful on that high horse there, I'm sure you wouldn't want to trample on a leveret.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

Careful on that high horse there, I'm sure you wouldn't want to trample on a leveret.

Seemed like a perfectly reasonable statement to me! You think we shouldn't respect nature?

Seemed like a perfectly reasonable statement to me! You think we shouldn't respect nature?

A garden is nature.

A garden is nature.

As is a hare taking a free bit of grub where it is going.

So how do we allow the hare to live and go about his business and still keep our gardens?

I think most people would prefer not to shoot, trample or set dogs on a hare.

A garden is nature.

Yes obviously..but thats not what i asked...you seem to have a problem with the poster objecting to someone who feels they should kill an animal just to protect their garden?

Yes obviously..but thats not what i asked...you seem to have a problem with the poster objecting to someone who feels they should kill an animal just to protect their garden?

Glad you understand now.

elperello wrote: »

So how do we allow the hare to live and go about his business and still keep our gardens?

You should run for election so because there are native laws that need changing if this is true.

Glad you understand now.

Ok don't answer that question..its obviously a touchy subject for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The Irish Hare is a protected species since the 30s, so I wouldn't be advocating shooting or trapping them.

Could you erect a Hare proof fence around your garden?

Lovely animal.

Speedsie wrote: »
    The Irish Hare is a protected species since the 30s, so I wouldn't be advocating shooting or trapping them.

Could you erect a Hare proof fence around your garden?

Lovely animal.

That's a very interesting and totally incorrect statement.

I agree that they are a lovely animal.

You should run for election so because there are native laws that need changing if this is true.

What has me running for election got to do with this discussion?

Besides you don't need to run for election to influence legislation.

BTW I am familiar with wildlife legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

That's a very interesting and totally incorrect statement.

I agree that they are a lovely animal.

Oh, I was misinformed so. Used to see them regularly when I worked in Intel many years ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

the piss thing works, anyway.

jesus, every where else on boards they're rippin each others face off over the slightest slight, real or (purposely) imagined.

i thought here of all places folk would be more chilled and treeish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Some very unhelpful answers. How open is your garden, is there an opening where they are getting in?The only solution I can think of is putting up netting, it will be hard to deter them.

Oh, I was misinformed so. Used to see them regularly when I worked in Intel many years ago

You were not misinformed..but some on here obviously are! Hares are a protected species in Ireland but somehow are allowed to be hunted/Coursed
    during the 'season' what a horrible way to treat a beautiful and gentle creature...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭macraignil

macraignil wrote: »
    Adopted a couple of dogs that were abandoned just over a year and a half ago and not seen any sign of the hares that were about the place previously since then. Don't think the dogs would be fast enough to catch them but the hares probably have the sense to steer clear of them.

Used some sections of drainage pipe as tree guards before that.

Just to clarify my post mentioning having dogs was not a suggestion to the opening poster that it was a good idea to "set dogs on a hare". No idea where the suggestion of trampling on a hare is coming from. I agree most people probably would not like to do these things to a wild animal and as mentioned already simple tree guards seemed to work well for me. The hare is an intelligent animal and since there have been dogs in our garden it's probably the smell of a potential predator keeps them away.

Just for clarification this link gives some information about the Irish Hare.

https://www.vincentwildlife.ie/species/irish-hare

Just for clarification this link gives some information about the Irish Hare.

https://www.vincentwildlife.ie/species/irish-hare

And here is an unbiased link from an Irish government organisation

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/open-seasons-order

And here is an unbiased link from an Irish government organisation

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/open-seasons-order

If you are looking for bias I am strongly biased against anyone who would kill a hare to protect a garden.

The Irish Hare is a magnificent creature and does not deserve the fate meted out to it by successive Governments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but it doesn't contain any info about the hare, except the open season info on it, which was pretty much already mentioned in the previous link? not sure where bias comes in.

• Advertisement

If you are looking for bias I am strongly biased against anyone who would kill a hare to protect a garden.

The Irish Hare is a magnificent creature and does not deserve the fate meted out to it by successive Governments.

I'm not looking for or interested in bias.

I'm not looking for or interested in bias.

Says the guy who waded into a gardening forum with a shotgun :)

Whether it was unwitting or not you have found it.

Says the guy who waded into a gardening forum with a shotgun :)

Whether it was unwitting or not you have found it.

The OP asked a question, I answered it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

The OP asked a question, I answered it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Answers like yours only lead to more questions.

You are ok my guns are locked in the safe :).

Answers like yours only lead to more questions.

You are ok my guns are locked in the safe :).

Only if you don't understand the answer.

But that's cool, this is a discussion forum.

Zzippy wrote:
    If your dogs are killing native wildlife they should never be allowed off the lead. First time I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you let it happen again tbh you shouldn't be allowed keep a dog. That's irresponsible and frankly idiotic. And I'm struggling to remain civil here.

Cool yourself zip. Dogs have run of garden. Hares enter, then nature takes its course. It was not pleasant to see and was over in seconds, no stopping them. Struggle on zzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In similar vein. hares stay away here as my cats are around. Hares are intelligent as you rightly say.
    macraignil wrote: »
    Just to clarify my post mentioning having dogs was not a suggestion to the opening poster that it was a good idea to "set dogs on a hare". No idea where the suggestion of trampling on a hare is coming from. I agree most people probably would not like to do these things to a wild animal and as mentioned already simple tree guards seemed to work well for me. The hare is an intelligent animal and since there have been dogs in our garden it's probably the smell of a potential predator keeps them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

I'm in the US so this may not be available in Ireland but worth checking. I use a product called Liquid Fence. It is made of natural products, does not harm animals and works brilliantly. We have a terrible deer problem in the eastern US. The population has exploded in the last 30 years or so. They can destroy a garden in a night. But they can't stand the smell of Liquid Fence. It works against rabbits too so worth a try if you can get it there. Humans can't smell it except during and a few hours after application.

It's a spray and does have to be renewed regularly, depending on the amount of rainfall. If not Liquid Fence, maybe you can get a similar product.

VirginiaB wrote:
    the amount of rainfall.

We're usually good for a drop

VirginiaB wrote: »
    I'm in the US so this may not be available in Ireland but worth checking. I use a product called Liquid Fence. It is made of natural products, does not harm animals and works brilliantly. We have a terrible deer problem in the eastern US. The population has exploded in the last 30 years or so. They can destroy a garden in a night. But they can't stand the smell of Liquid Fence. It works against rabbits too so worth a try if you can get it there. Humans can't smell it except during and a few hours after application.

It's a spray and does have to be renewed regularly, depending on the amount of rainfall. If not Liquid Fence, maybe you can get a similar product.

Thanks for that.
    I found the website but they don't have a supplier in Europe.
    https://www.liquidfence.com/Products/Deer-and-Rabbit-Control/Deer-And-Rabbit-Concentrate.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

I wonder if you could look at the ingredients and find something similar. Or email Liquid Fence and tell them they're missing the boat on a marketing opportunity in Ireland and beyond.

And yes I know about the occasional drop of rain in Ireland :) as I've had the pleasure more than once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I remember regularly seeing them boxing on the grass verges in the carpark in the dusk on spring evenings. Fantastic creatures.

Advertisement