Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi floodlights

Options
  • 19-01-2020 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Aldi have floodlights on sale next Thursday. I would need six for my house and yard. Does anyone know if they are any good? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

madmaggie wrote: »
    Aldi have floodlights on sale next Thursday. I would need six for my house and yard. Does anyone know if they are any good? Thanks.

Have you a link to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First. That's alot of lights are you 100 percent sure you need that many you don't need the house to light up like a football field.

A neighbor down the road has that and house looks awful. Also the lights are angled too far up and basically light up the road beyond and light travels.

I'd suggest reviewing the design

Secondly I'd recommend these very little money low running cost and excellent light I have two

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-MEIKEE-1000Lumen-Waterproof-Forecourt/dp/B01E8SWHHS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thanks for the reply, and link. They won't be on all the time, just when going out to the yard and sheds. I will check out your suggestion, sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The DIY Specialbuys on Thursday 23rd isn't up on their website yet, but I've been looking at them in the leaflet that came in the newspaper yesterday.
    They appear to be identical to the lights they had last year.
    Those were/are a nice small compact 10w unit in black or white, and seem to be well built with decent damp-proofing and a good cable and gland.
    I bought 6 at the time and have been kicking myself that I didn't get more, so I'll be in for a look on Thursday.
    I've only fitted them indoors though, in dark corners of sheds and over workbenches and tools, so I can't comment on how well they'll last out in the weather.
    At only €8.99, I'll be buying another bunch of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Melodeon, my thoughts too. At nine euro, I'll get the six, then get an electrician to fit the lot. Can be any worse than my old time cage lights. Glorified candles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

2011 wrote: »
    I would prefer this option.

I've fitted two 20W Osram LED floodlights in the Apex of my attic
    Needless to say there's no shadows lol one 10w would have been sufficient but I placed the order for the two 20w on a day where I had been sick of going around the attic routing satellite cable with a miner style head torch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Here are the items in question:
    https://www.aldi.ie/10w-led-flood-light/p/099659316788000

Interestingly, I see they're claiming a colour temperature of 6400K, which is tending towards the blueish side of daylight.
    I must run a few tests to see how they behave as photo floodlights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

LenWoods wrote: »
    I've fitted two 20W Osram LED floodlights in the Apex of my attic
    Needless to say there's no shadows lol one 10w would have been sufficient but I placed the order for the two 20w on a day where I had been sick of going around the attic routing satellite cable with a miner style head torch

Did they come with a plug attached?

• Advertisement

Did they come with a plug attached?
    No I had to fit the plug tops myself
    But the cable was attached and stripped ready for connecting,
    I bought both 20W floodlights and the plug tops from electricalwholesaler.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No I had to fit the plug tops myself
    But the cable was attached and stripped ready for connecting,
    I bought both 20W floodlights and the plug tops from electricalwholesaler.ie
    https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/lampslighting/exteriorlightingluminaires/floodlightsdischargelighting/outdoorledfloodlight20w3000k2000lmip65black001060o

I fitted the plug tops for easy removal and replacement or if required somewhere else temporarily
    Thinking back now; I should have fitted a 12" long piece of C-Rail to the wall then secured the light bracket to the c-rail using M8 or M6 C-Rail nuts which would prevent having to drill the wall ever again the C-Rail would remain in place.

I might go back to do this some time soon.

Looks good. Are they suitable for outside or a shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks OP and hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Anyone have a recommendation on an outside , weather proof (coated or aluminum etc) LED but I need them to be also be overridable with a remote.

Our sparks didn't but switched in for us to control and the one installed has stopped after 12 months.

Looks good. Are they suitable for outside or a shed?

Hi yes there more suited to the outside environment there IP65 rated meaning there dust tight and protected against water,
    Wheety wrote: »
    Are they sensor ones?

The ones I've linked dont have a built in sensor

MAJJ wrote: »
    Thanks OP and hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Anyone have a recommendation on an outside , weather proof (coated or aluminum etc) LED but I need them to be also be overridable with a remote.

Our sparks didn't but switched in for us to control and the one installed has stopped after 12 months.

Only option I can think of is to use a wifi socket if this was an option to have plugged in somewhere within range of a wireless router ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wheety wrote: »
    Are they sensor ones?

Lidl had 24 watt sensors ones for sale on Thursday. There may be some left in your local store.

I put one up over the weekend and it seems to work fine.

EDIT: I see Lidl have 20 watt Osram non-sensor ones coming up on the 23rd.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/discover-diy/20w-led-spotlight/p35692

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

These are 3000k warm white, the aldi ones afaik are the cool white

I have the Aldi ones with the PIR's in about 3-4yrs
    They are solid

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    These are 3000k warm white, the aldi ones afaik are the cool white

I have the Aldi ones with the PIR's in about 3-4yrs
    They are solid

I assume cool white is 6000k
    I've got a 150w LED floodlight in my back garden bought for €34 on Ebay from China back when I didn't know there was a difference between 150W Halogen and 150W LED lol
    It's like an episode of COPS when I switch it on,
    Police helicopter style 6000k ice white

It illuminates three houses of a cul-de-sac out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Lenwoods... have to ask. What the hell is that set up in your attic. It looks more complex than the engine bay of the Starship Enterprise.

• Advertisement

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Lenwoods... have to ask. What the hell is that set up in your attic. It looks more complex than the engine bay of the Starship Enterprise.

The full explanation is here in my home improvement thread the panel build is on page: 03
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/#comments

It looks more technical than it actually is;

Starting at the top left working across then down I'll explain
    The first box is a 5 port Netgear Gigabit LAN router which feeds bedroom 01 upstairs with CAT7 RJ45 network cables for television, games console, internet radio etc.

Second box in from the left is another identical 5 port LAN router for bedroom 02 same purpose just separate router

Third is a white box there; that's a virgin media splitter inside which puts a virgin media feed in to each of the three bedrooms upstairs,

Fourth box there grey box is another Netgear gigabit LAN router this ones an 8 port feeding bedroom 03 upstairs.

The next white box is the main feed in from the virgin media box outside and contains a surge protection bit as required and fitted by virgin media, this box then feeds to the multiroom box previously mentioned there where its split to three individual feeds,

On the second row then.

First grey box with a blue light is a 4 channel amplified coaxial splitter
    It takes in a terrestrial aerial feed then boosts the signal and provides four sockets to output to four different televisions

The black box then to the right of that is an HDMI to RF modulator
    It takes in a HDMI feed and converts it to a television channel to your television via coaxial cable
    Basically it let's you create your own private TV channel which you can name and broadcast anything with a HDMI output, it also allows you to choose the frequency of the channel to ensure it doesn't conflict with the regular Saoirview line up,
    I'm using it for displaying a CCTV system which is plugged in to the modulator vis HDMI cable; instead of plugging it into a television,

The black cage across from this; is a fold out shelf; it will hold a Digital video recorder for a cctv system
    The recorder then stays safe in the attic with cameras fitted on the soffet outside the house,
    The DVR plugs in to the HDMI modulator as mentioned
    The modulator feeds in to the 4 channel amplified splitter
    The splitter then feeds teretistal channels or Saoirview and the CCTV footage to all four televisions in the home without having to touch the main camera recorder
    Basically channel 1 on any television in the house displays RTE1 channel 0 displays the CCTV channel 2 displays RTE2 etc.

The white box on the bottom left then; is an amplifier for the terrestrial aerial on the roof which makes it static to help recieve a better quality signal,

The black six socket power supply then has a series of capacitors built in to condition the power feeding through it which eliminates white noise and hum which can impact on the performance of fine electronics or audio equipment.
    Fridges and heaters create electrical noise which can impact on sensitive electrical equipment

The white box then on the far right is a 6 port F-Type coaxial plate
    Takes in six Sattelite feeds from an octo LNB fitted to the sky sattelite dish on the roof
    Distributes two sattelite feeds to each bedroom upstairs,
    I'm currently using sky DRX595 multiroom boxes in each room with uk sky cards for freeview channels without any subscription.

All said; its nothing spectacular or unusual it's all day to day equipment but I've lay it all out to look impressive lol
    I've fitted another HDMI modulator in the living room which allows me to broadcast the DVD/Bluray player to all televisions within the home which saves purchasing a second DVD player for another room.

The LAN network reduces the use of wifi throughout the house and increases the speed available to all connected devices; only our mobile phones use the wifi all other devices are wired to the main router,
    The network then allows a printer to be placed in the kitchen area while the computer is upstairs or print from the mobile phone via wifi; it's also good for network attached storage or NAS for short; I can add a network HardDrive which can then be accessed from anywhere across the internet,
    Having a dedicated LAN router for each room makes it easier to isolate a room from the internet if required
    Theres four CAT7 RJ45 cables feeding in to the main wifi router which is one cable feeding to each Netgear gigabit LAN router around the home. Cat7 is capable of eight gigabytes per second data transfer between devices, the current Netgear LAN routers can transfer is a gigabit per second and mh existing broadband network provider is 400mb so it's fairly future proof.

Thanks for expressing an interest I do appreciate it,
    And it took a few weeks to install everything tidy and label all the cables on both ends lol, not many get to see it now neither would be nice to call in sky or virgin to see there response to the setup lol

Advertisement