Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monthly Photo Comp???

Options
  • 09-01-2020 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Would there be any appetite for a monthly photo comp?

We could pick a theme for each month via a poll, run it for three weeks and then post the pics the final week....most thanks gets all the internet kudos they deserve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I'd be up for that

Could start with an easy one like Irish History (A ruin / castle /church / etc: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'd be up for that

Could start with an easy one like Irish History (A ruin / castle /church / etc: )
    Isn't it illegal to fly a drone over the majority of heritage sites in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Top Dog wrote: »
    It varies place to place.
    Also not all old ruins and castles are heritage sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Top Dog wrote: »

That causes a few misunderstandings in the North anyway, especially with the National Trust. They try and ban all flights over their property, but in reality all they can do is stop you from taking off on their land, you can overfly it if you want as long as you adhere to the CAA drone code.

A few Facebook groups I'm in have queried this with the CAA direct and they confirm they can't actually stop you provided you aren't on their land at the start.

It may be different with the IAA but as they are all following basically the same ICAO rules I can't see there being too much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

good idea, I'm up for it :)

• Advertisement

I will put one up for the start of February, and if it generates some interest then we can see whether or not we should keep it going,

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

irishejit wrote: »
    I will put one up for the start of February, and if it generates some interest then we can see whether or not we should keep it going,

top man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Great idea, might push me to actually get mine back out after a looong hiatus!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It would be nice to get one going for the 1st of the month, what could be really useful is if people named their drone and camera settings for the picture (iso, wb etc), that doesn't happen in the normal photo thread.
    No touchups/Photoshop etc allowed, maybe have a separate thread for that like the random photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If not a competition, a general thread for people's drone footage/pics is needed in here!

• Advertisement

It would be nice to get one going for the 1st of the month, what could be really useful is if people named their drone and camera settings for the picture (iso, wb etc), that doesn't happen in the normal photo thread.
    No touchups/Photoshop etc allowed, maybe have a separate thread for that like the random photo thread.

I'm going to post one up tomorrow and see how it goes from there, and if there is enough interest I'd intend to keep it running after that.

Telling settings could be difficult as i'd be planning to ask people to host their images on imgur or similar and then embed them from it into a thread, though if people wanted to put it somewhere I'm not against it.

Touchups and photoshop would be allowed though. An awful lot of people, myself included, shoot in d-log, d-cinelike, raw or similar, resulting in some work in lightroom or whatever software used being necessary.

No harm if you don't shoot in these modes, but its not fair to the people who do to omit that from any contest.

I can't shoot raw on the mini, it's a bit of work blending a few jpegs and taking multiple iso shots to get one good shot. It's creativity I'd like to see most, hence I was suggesting keeping it unmodified.
    Suppose Lightroom/Photoshop are no harm for those who want to, we probably should provide some links to free software at the start of the thread for people just starting with camera drones. The drone videography/photography is new to me but I'm well used to my dslr.

I can't shoot raw on the mini, it's a bit of work blending a few jpegs and taking multiple iso shots to get one good shot.

That's one of the drawbacks of the mini, having Auto Exposure Bracketing is so useful on the larger drones and I've seen a lot of people on other forums requesting it added in future firmware updates.

The weather's not really playing ball for the competition.

The weather's not really playing ball for the competition.

Feckin typical....still plenty of time though, and if all fails you could always use something you took previously if you had it

Advertisement