Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soil Moisture Sensor - do you live in Southeast or Northwest Ireland?

• 05-04-2019 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I was put in touch with a group called the GROW Observatory the other day as part of a course I am doing on citizen science. They are measuring soil moisture patterns and linking this to satellite data and climate change.

They offer free soil moisture sensors to those who wish to participate and will obviously supply you with insights into your own soil etc. In Ireland the eligible areas are the south-east and north-west !

In their own words:

The GROW Observatory (GROW) is a European-wide project engaging thousands of growers, scientists and others passionate about the land. We will discover together, using simple tools to better manage soil and grow food, while contributing to vital scientific environmental monitoring.

Discover the link between your soil, satellites and climate science! If you live in one of our 9 GROW Places across Europe you could receive a free soil moisture sensor that will equip you with useful data about your soil.

If you live in or near one of the areas listed below, please fill in this form.

Evros & Laconia (Greece), Southeast and Northwest (Ireland), Miskolc (Hungary), Barcelona (Spain), Lisbon (Portugal), Tayside & Central belt (Scotland), Vienna (Austria), ’s-Hertogenbosch (Netherlands), Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

get-involved

about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You'd need lots of land and lots of time...
    The GROW Observatory is looking for participants able to install at least 384 sensors in their location, either in their own land, or through a coordinated group of participants in their local area.
    What do you need?
    • Land to place sensors. Each sensor should be in an area with about 30m of the same kind of environment/land cover (e.g. a pasture, a vegetable garden, woodland). They need to be directly in the ground (not in raised beds) and not in a greenhouse or polytunnel. Sensors need to be placed at least 20m apart so a hectare of suitable land could have up to 25 sensors.
    • An Android or iOS device and Bluetooth to retrieve data from the sensors.
    • Time and willingness to place the sensors, fill in a short site survey, and to visit them every 2 weeks or so to collect and upload the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh that would be interesting, I thought. Then I worked out the implications and thought, yes good luck with that! Around 40 acres of one type of ground - would certainly have to be a community effort. Might be something a school or college might consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What the hell? 25 per ha and you have to have nearly 400 of them? Who has that much land and time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

We have 4 of them in our garden/field. Partner works in IT Carlow and a group who were interested all got a few some time before Christmas. She uploads the data through her phone every couple of weeks. They're just stuck in the ground in a few locations around the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

looksee wrote: »
    Oh that would be interesting, I thought. Then I worked out the implications and thought, yes good luck with that! Around 40 acres of one type of ground - would certainly have to be a community effort. Might be something a school or college might consider.

Its funny - when I mentioned being interested to them, they did not mention the 400 sensor/20 hectares requirement to me. I missed that part so well done for spotting it. Devil is in the detail alright

Not sure why there is such a restriction on it. Surely people would be interested in helping with the project even if the requirement was to have 2 or 5 - but ~400 makes it a big commitment and likely to be attached to a scientific school or research centre. I assume its something places like Teagasc would support !

Apologies for the incorrect information on the commitment required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

We have 4 of them in our garden/field. Partner works in IT Carlow and a group who were interested all got a few some time before Christmas. She uploads the data through her phone every couple of weeks. They're just stuck in the ground in a few locations around the field.

Interesting- but it still requires coordination from a large number of people. She received 4 - so thats around 100 participants to get it the scheme off the ground (no pun intended)

Would love to participate and could accommodate about 5 but thats it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

In a semi related topic, any idea where one can get soil moisture deficit data for Ireland? I know the excel spreadsheet exists but can't find it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming

or do you mean historical data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming

or do you mean historical data?

Historical data, yes. A few years or 30(!) for each station, i think there are roughly 25?

Advertisement