Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secret Santa Feedback

• 03-01-2020 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Okay guys,

We need to talk about the Secret Santa. In recent years numbers have been falling and this year the thread was very quiet indeed. Only a handful of people shared their opening with the group. We have had a few complaints from people about the standard of the gift received, more than a few people were upset during this years event and quite frankly gdpr is a pain in the butt and is causing a problem or two behind the scenes.

Is the Secret Santa still an enjoyable part of the Christmas festivities or is it becoming a bit of a liability to the forum? Has its time passed? We have almost a year now to make a decision whether to run the Secret Santa again next year or do we try to find something else to replace it to mark the festive period.

We would like to hear your feedback on the matter on this years and previous years activity.

Please note, if you prefer not to voice your opinion publicly, feel free to drop a PM to myself or DBB, likewise if there is a possibility that what you have to say will offend someone in particular please send us your feedback by PM

Thanks in advance for your participation in this exercise.

CB.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I really enjoyed it the years I took part. I've had some cracking presents (someone on here has THE most amazing dog biscuit recipe that I really want to steal - if they could PM it to me, it'd make me really happy).

I did find it more time-consuming if I got an animal I didn't know too much about and needed to do research for.

Realistically, I just don't have the spare time in December to take part anymore, so that's my reason for not doing it the last couple of years. Don't know if that's particularly helpful - if you want to reschedule to January I'll join in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just a brief note as I am ill abed and just checking post …

This was the first time I have taken part and I was hesitant! But I wanted to give as the pet forum gives so much to so many and has been a huge support to me personally over eg the sudden deaths last year and also somewhere to simply share the delights and joys of my cats!

I am delighted with it; it far exceeded my expectations. A great idea and so efficiently organised and run.

There was excellent support; being housebound on a remote island with cats I asked for a cat to give to as I keep only cat things in and in winter cannot even rely on An Post.

When a dog accidentally was given, I asked and this was changed swiftly and without fuss. Impress ive! Also given the option to withdraw if I preferred that with no animosity.

Total courtesy and excellent "customer care".

Gifts were exchanged; mine was clearly much appreciated, and I was delighted with the beautifully presented and wrapped and thoughtful package of cat toys and treats and even a card that arrived here. I posted a picture. Really special ,

Saddens that others are not as happy as I am. Would dearly love to do this again and if there is any way I can help? I am obviously very limited re the range I can gift to.

It gladdened Christmas here for these beloved companions; we gave up human gifts long ago!

I have posted re the dreamie phenomenon !

Only thing that occurs, knowing how busy folk get, is to instigate it a little earlier? Or even a lot earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I took part the first few years, but not in a while, got some great presents and cards.
    I stopped due to family illness and never got back to it.
    I enjoyed it, while I took part.
    Now with dietary issues and other considerations I wouldn't take part, it's too much to ask people to find something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had some great things - just really thoughtful stuff that somebody had obviously put thought into. I mentioned in the other thread that the duck Bailey got one year became Lucy’s favourite and with her gone now :( it’s something I’ll cherish. I also had some not so great things in that they weren’t suitable for a large breed - I didn’t have anyone I could give these things to as they were choking hazards imo - maybe a kitten would have been ok to play with them.. most branded toys have a size guide on them so imo it’s not that difficult when we give the breed... I also had an open bag of treats with that stuff as in the tab pulled across and still attached so they were sent open and not open in transit. Also yes you can always give stuff away but why bother entering then when you’re either giving unsuitable stuff away or throwing it in the bin..

I can see how people can be disappointed and frustrated - I think some people like myself put a lot of thought into it planning what to buy to maximise the budget...where others it seems that it’s the bare minimum with change out of the €10 ..we enter SS voluntarily knowing well what the budget is...another thing that stopped me doing it is that I got how can I put it ...’non-standard’ ...animals and I hadn’t a clue what to get and was stressing trying to figure something out - maybe in this case add some suggestions? I also think the post count should be higher and limited to API posts only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

My only issue was the public shaming. Yes I agree that when your pet receives a cracker of a gift that’s fantastic, but one
    also has to have the realistic expectation that they may receive something less than desirable in their eyes.

I think we should try to keep it going if possible, especially when I read Graces posts, to me they embody what it’s truly all about & it should be fun.

With regards to the GDPR, if we opt in, give our consent for info to be shared then there shouldn’t be a problem legally.

• Advertisement

Agree totally re no public shaming.

Maybe a different culture but we UK kids would never ever do that. A gift is a gift is a gift. As in " It is the thought that counts. " To be thanked only.

Had there been anything in the gift that came here that was not usable etc? No one here would have heard.

Many things got and get passed on quietly,, even to rescue centres? Agree fully that suggestions would help greatly. Maybe a simple detailled document on file we could refer to?

Here the gift lives on! I hear the bells in the little balls chime occasionally! Make me smile!
    em_cat wrote: »
    My only issue was the public shaming. Yes I agree that when your pet receives a cracker of a gift that’s fantastic, but one
    also has to have the realistic expectation that they may receive something less than desirable in their eyes.

I think we should try to keep it going if possible, especially when I read Graces posts, to me they embody what it’s truly all about & it should be fun.

With regards to the GDPR, if we opt in, give our consent for info to be shared then there shouldn’t be a problem legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

em_cat wrote: »

I have very realistic expectations of a present to the value of €10 & suitable for the pet concerned. The present I recieved was neither but each year I go all out & always get great feedback. One would think you are the sender the way you constantly bring it up.

On a positive note I have been taking part for many years & normally get lovely thoughtful presents including some which were handmade & are still treasured!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

I'll start with my negative feedback, I found this year very disappointing, yes I agree that it's not about the gift you receive but when you go to the effort and put thought and planning into your gift and then receive a gift that wasn't thought about andno where near the value it's frustrating, why enter if that's the way you're going to be. Frankly the gift we received was not suitable and a bit insulting I think it was a chocolate drop but I couldn't find all the crumbs to put it back together, plus mine was hand delivered to as there were no stamps.

Positive thoughts I love doing it, I enjoy putting the effort in knowing a little dog, cat or whatever will enjoy what I've sent them.

That's my thoughts anyways

It was a chocolate drop.

499006.jpg

I too found it very disappointing this year too, not because of the gifts received, the way they had been received, perceived effort input or anything other than the behaviour of some. I found it so distasteful that it will most definitely impact whether I participate again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    With all due respect, whilst we're delighted to be getting feedback, and do please keep it coming, could we all please refrain from taking swipes at each other? It's not helpful and will certainly put people off posting here at all.
    Thanks.
    DBB

Not side swipe in any way; but if such negative critiques of gifts are allowed under the guise of "secret"? I will think again about entering again.
    And was so keen! But it has put me right off

Secret has many meanings. In Secret Santa it means anonymity. But that should be 100%. IN principal as well as in fact. The folk so heavily attacked here? Must be hurting. I would be gutted having done my best.

If this has been the way in previous years, small wonder numbers have plummeted.

By all means report to the organisers. but not in public on an open forum.
    Also I did not quite take in that a gift HAD to be E10. In other places it means not more than the figure given. To prevent extravagance shaming the less well off,, and leaving space for those with little cash.

Setting a price can prevent less well off folk who care for multi pets from participating, myself included. Supporting six rescues on a small pension. Loving them and glad to do it. So I assumed it was as elsewhere. I think what I sent was probably worth more than E10 in the end!

Excuse me please; not well and one of my cats is missing 24 hours. Blwoing a storm and I need somehow to get out and seek,

Blessings and peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Knine wrote: »
    It was a chocolate drop.

499006.jpg

Forgive me if this is a silly question but are you saying that your secret Santa gift was just that choc drop :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is a silly question but are you saying that your secret Santa gift was just that choc drop :eek:

No, it contained other items but let's leave it at that please.

OK, I have to hold my hands up. Years I've entered I've gone over the tenner. One year I sent a treat stocking to a horse. I paid a tenner for it but the shop I bought it in is not known to be good value for money so I worried it wasn't enough and added some polo mints to it.

Other years I've gone to a shop in the north because they don't deliver to the republic and you can get things a lot of people wouldn't see elsewhere. Rather than trying to figure out currency conversion rates its just been easier to spend £10 sterling. Things like cards, packaging etc I've always counted as extras and not included in the price. I've always found though that I could get a lot for my tenner sterling. Maybe I've been unfair to others in doing this. If so I apologise. For me the best part of the SS is seeing how my gift is received and I have been disappointed some years when the recipients owner did not post but hey, that's just the way it goes sometimes but you are sort of left wondering if they did not like what you sent and its not a nice feeling. Just my 2cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I didn't participate but reading this thread I certainly wouldn't be tempted to participate in future years. It's Secret Santa like, the idea of being publicly shamed for crap presents ... isn't it meant to be about the thought? If someone has gone to the effort to wrap up and send something for my wee cat, I wouldn't care less what it was, I'd just be delighted to get anything - and certainly my cat would be as happy with someone's old spare sock as with anything that took a lot of time or planning or money. It's a busy time of year, for everyone, I think it's really sad that people are complaining that what they received wasn't good enough. Really goes against the spirit of Christmas.

I have been doing Secret Santa since the beginning. I always enjoyed taking part. I got to huge efforts with my presents & postage is not cheap! I always enjoy reading the great feedback & often enter 3 pets.

I am not going to keep defending myself over the cheap skate present I got. I've seen better for €2 in Dealz. It was totally unsuitable for the dog. I believe 3 of them were sent out & one hand delivered so no postage. Even with the Spirit of Christmas you would expect some small bit of effort to be made. Dogs are the easiest to buy for. The broken up chocolate button was an insult. In comparison I also entered a tiny parrot. There was a huge effort from the sender for a pet that is not easy to buy.

Should I have just posted that his present was great? The only person being shamed is me. The Sender has not been named!

Really goes against the spirit of Christmas.

The flip side is looking like you're taking advantage of people's kindness though. A few people this year were disappointed - and are now being shamed themselves for speaking out..

I always included a card with mine and my pet's names too and I'd want my secret santa to know it was from me! - I was pleased with all the stuff I'd managed to get for the €10 or £10 like Cherry Blossom mentioned - I'd often scout stuff out say on amazon or zooplus in advance and could go a few quid over. I made treats a few years I did it too to boost what I was sending - I didn't "buy" them as such so I counted them as being free lol. :pac: If i was slightly under I'd include something from dealz or penneys etc as a filler present to bump up to the budget rather than going short. And i'll never forget the guy's face in the post office when i queued up on my lunch break with a parcel covered in mad emoji wrapping paper - back when emoji's were new so a few years ago lol!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

I was in two minds about posting but said I may aswell throw in my two cents.

Having run Secret Santa for the last two years and having entered it even before then, I would, unfortunately, be reluctant to take part in either capacity again.
    My reasons for this are sheer busyness- a lively lurcher and 4 month old baby keep me busy enough!
    The feedback/unhappiness of forum members was genuinely upsetting to me. Rightly or wrongly, I blamed myself for choosing who got who (even though it was completely random!!) and this did hurt as it takes an awful lot of organising and it felt very unappreciated. I know people won't agree with me on that but it's how I felt and would rather no one picked me apart over it, please.
    In my opinion, life is too short to spend annoyed or upset at something out of our own control. Secret Santa should be light hearted and enjoyable. Sure I know I've gotten presents in my own Secret Santa exchanges that I didn't particularly want...a disco ball being one!! But, it's a bit of fun and for me, it was tainted this year. No one went out of their way to upset anyone and all presents were chosen and sent with the best intentions.
    In regards the Christmas Forum, I did mention it there but unfortunately had no takers :(
    Anywho, it's a pity such a positive thing has to be discussed like this but I suppose things change and maybe it's time to just start something new and fresh :)

Thanks everyone, for your feedback so far. Jellybear, your contribution to the SS has been simply fantastic. I understand you're feeling sad about the upset that has happened this year, you're not alone there :( But... there's nothing you could have done to change the way things happened, so please don't annoy yourself, or be second guessing what could have been:o
    At one stage, only a few years ago, the SS was almost oversubscribed, with people on the verge of not being able to participate as it was just getting too big!
    But, there's been a dramatic and considerable drop in numbers in the past 3ish years. There seem to be a few reasons for this, many of which make me feel that we do need to change things, because it's not working any more as it is.
    So, with that in mind... has anyone any thoughts either on changes that could be made to improve the current format?
    Or, is there an alternative Christmassy thing that might take it's place?
    Would something like a revival of the Christmas pet photo competition be an option?

I forgot all about the pet Christmas photos comp. Why did that stop?

• Advertisement

@Jellybear you certainly are not to take any blame whatsoever. You and anyone who's been the admin is very appreciated and I would like to think all who participated past & present would agree to that; boo to them if they don’t :) I know my own posts contributed to the ire & do apologise for adding to the aggro.

I know I’ve participated in themed kris kindles with humans before and always found them fun. Maybe something of that nature with pets?

I forgot all about the pet Christmas photos comp. Why did that stop?

I got lazy :o

DBB wrote: »
    I got lazy :o

:D Well I thought it was great (though maybe a little unfair that you had to cough up the prizes) and would love to see it back.

Would something like a revival of the Christmas pet photo competition be an option?

Could you maybe charge an entry fee for the photo comp and use it as a fund raiser?

:D Well I thought it was great (though maybe a little unfair that you had to cough up the prizes) and would love to see it back.

Oh no... it was no problem at all, because the prize money went to charity, which is fine by me :).
    I think it's a thread we could add some bells and whistles to. It was a fab thread, funny and sad and feelgood all in one :o

tk123 wrote: »
    Could you maybe charge an entry fee for the photo comp and use it as a fund raiser?

Might be worth thinking about... but again... I like throwing a few quid to charities at Christmas, that thread let me do it in a fun way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've never been involved in it. Money can be tight over Christmas and the extra I have I'd rather use to support neglected animals. I know the pets here are loved and cared for and probably don't need it as much.

It was a fab thread, funny and sad and feelgood all in one :o

Yeah it hit all the feels! I definitely vote to bring it back. I can't get enough of pictures of boardsie animals. And I liked the category for non standard pets. I remember a really cute little hedgehog one year.

Yeah it hit all the feels! I definitely vote to bring it back. I can't get enough of pictures of boardsie animals. And I liked the category for non standard pets. I remember a really cute little hedgehog one year.

And the departed pets category... you'd smile and cry all at once :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I used to participate in SS a few years ago before life became to hectic to continue. I'm sad to think that it's all gone bad/might not continue because it was amazing the few years I was involved. I remember it being so busy that I was worried I wouldn't get a slot, and I'd group my dogs and cats together as to only take up 2 spaces to leave room for others. I loved shopping for other people's fur kids (although I was lethal at staying below the limit, I'd always go over because I can't help myself) and received some amazing ones back - one SS even put together a collage of photos of one of our cats of posted here and put it in a frame, we still have it up 5+ years later.

I haven't even looked at the threads this year so not even sure what's gone on so I can't really offer informed suggestions. It's a hard one, because you can't make it only people who have entered before and done 'well', because then you're ruling out genuine newcomers but you also don't know if people are just there to take advantage (which is becoming more common - I did a secret Santa elsewhere this Christmas just gone and their wishlist was literally 'money and travel'). If gdpr is an issue, would it be possible to use a outside place such as elfster? That was no personal information is being shared with more than one person (assuming it's still all being done via pm?), but then it comes back to inappropriate gifts, so maybe a link to elfster or wherever shared via pm to genuine people? I'm going in circles, sorry. It's early and I was up feeding the baby when I read this so it's a lot of word vomit :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Elfster seems like a great idea! I like the idea of being able to put up specific suggestions of toys/gifts.
    Just on one point made- I, hand on heart, don't think anyone has ever taken part in SS to take advantage etc. From running it the last 2 years, all entrants have come across as genuine and as I said in my post, all presents were sent with the best intentions and as genuine gifts. Something like Elfster would ensure people get something 100% suitable if it were to be used going forward. A counter argument could be that the spontaneity is taken out of it so we may aswell just buy for our own pets. It's a toughie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just wanted to weigh in on this thread. I can’t remember how many years I ran the secret Santa for, but it was during the times when entry numbers had to be bumped up as it filled so quickly. It was really great fun to do, but stressful at the same time chasing up on packages and PMs, only once in that time did a package not arrive and I had to do a last minute dash to send out a present to make sure everyone got one.
    One of the highlights for me was opening day, several of us would be online at midnight waiting to open and post pictures. I think myself that maybe the ‘novelty’ of it has worn off so that big excitement doesn’t seem to be there anymore.
    I still treasure some of the gifts we got over the years, a few particular stand outs were homemade cat toys, and a bowl with my cats name printed on it. Always so thoughtful and so much appreciated. It’s a pity to see the way it’s turned with lower numbers but then, this forum as a whole seems a bit quieter that it was back in those days too!

Ah now I get it! Makes it worse. There are times when silence is pure gold. This is one of them. On all sides!

But the rules need tweaking, in the true spirit of Christmas. They really do

Knine wrote: »
    I have been doing Secret Santa since the beginning. I always enjoyed taking part. I got to huge efforts with my presents & postage is not cheap! I always enjoy reading the great feedback & often enter 3 pets.

I am not going to keep defending myself over the cheap skate present I got. I've seen better for €2 in Dealz. It was totally unsuitable for the dog. I believe 3 of them were sent out & one hand delivered so no postage. Even with the Spirit of Christmas you would expect some small bit of effort to be made. Dogs are the easiest to buy for. The broken up chocolate button was an insult. In comparison I also entered a tiny parrot. There was a huge effort from the sender for a pet that is not easy to buy.

Should I have just posted that his present was great? The only person being shamed is me. The Sender has not been named!

jellybear wrote: »
    I was in two minds about posting but said I may aswell throw in my two cents.

Having run Secret Santa for the last two years and having entered it even before then, I would, unfortunately, be reluctant to take part in either capacity again.
    My reasons for this are sheer busyness- a lively lurcher and 4 month old baby keep me busy enough!
    The feedback/unhappiness of forum members was genuinely upsetting to me. Rightly or wrongly, I blamed myself for choosing who got who (even though it was completely random!!) and this did hurt as it takes an awful lot of organising and it felt very unappreciated. I know people won't agree with me on that but it's how I felt and would rather no one picked me apart over it, please.
    In my opinion, life is too short to spend annoyed or upset at something out of our own control. Secret Santa should be light hearted and enjoyable. Sure I know I've gotten presents in my own Secret Santa exchanges that I didn't particularly want...a disco ball being one!! But, it's a bit of fun and for me, it was tainted this year. "

In regards the Christmas Forum, I did mention it there but unfortunately had no takers :(
    Anywho, it's a pity such a positive thing has to be discussed like this but I suppose things change and maybe it's time to just start something new and fresh :)

Perfect response; thank you! Very unwell at present so just touching bases. But the rules need changing to outlaw overt criticisms . It has put me off now and ruined my enjoyment. I think it can be retained with those provisos.

And it needs discussing as is being done.

Folks,
    I think it's time to move forward here. The issue of negative feedback has been addressed and I don't feel that raising it again is going to lead to anything particularly positive.
    We're looking for suggestions now to either improve or replace the Secret Santa event. So, let's look forward, not back :)
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

What about a forum nativity. Interested parties sign-up and are randomly allocated a nativity character (or something from a show if we get bored with nativity) and then have to take a pic with the pet dressed as that character. We can vote for best dressed.

Admittedly only works if your pet doesn't mind being dressed up, and you'd have to be pretty creative to involve unusual animals like stick insects. :D

Choc Chip wrote: »
    What about a forum nativity. Interested parties sign-up and are randomly allocated a nativity character (or something from a show if we get bored with nativity) and then have to take a pic with the pet dressed as that character. We can vote for best dressed.

Admittedly only works if your pet doesn't mind being dressed up, and you'd have to be pretty creative to involve unusual animals like stick insects. :D

This has hilarious potential:D

Choc Chip wrote: »

Yep, although we’re not religious here at ours we’d still participate cause that could be really cute, we could also pick a favourite scene from a Christmas movie like elf or something. Imagine all the possibilities!!!

This has hilarious potential:D

Bagsy the innkeeper

499665.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OK so from the feedback so far I'm getting that some feel not everyone is putting in the same effort as others. As well as that quite a lot of people are worrying that what they have is not 'good enough'. Some of these people are going over the spending limit in efforts to ensure their gift is appreciated by the reciever and others suffering in silence worrying about how their gift will be received. This explains at least in part the drop in numbers. It seams the whole process rather than being an enjoyable part of the Christmas festivities is putting an unnecessary amount of stress and worry on a large number of participants. The prospect of getting an unusual pet is also putting people off and I don't think its fair to allow people to pick and chose what pet they get. If everyone wanted to do that it would be mayhem and just wouldn't work at all.

Some of the suggestions made: someone suggested a theme. I feel as some people are already struggling to come up with something inventive especially for more unusual pets this would add even more stress and put even more people off entering.

Elfster works well sometimes but largely removes the need for an administrator and I feel someone should be aware of who has your personal details, just in case anyone's info would happen to be misused in any way.

I think in reality the Secret Santa has run its course. If anyone has ideas of something else to do for Christmas, preferably that doesn't involve spending money or exchanging personal details we are all ears. A lot of charities are running events where participants walk, run, cycle or swim a certain distance over the period of a month. It usually amounts to 5k per day. What if we had a thread in say November where people undertook to do those for a charity of their choice and posted their progress, how many km they were up to or how much money they raised to date? I know its difficult with the rules on rescues but if we allowed each poster to post a link to their fundraiser just once with no commentary allowed on the charity they have chosen would that be acceptable?

• Advertisement

I understand but I think with a little tweaking? For me the comeback and public carping ruined it. Loved it until then. Left a bad taste

My age and disability ( all but housebound and sometimes bedbound now) rules your other ideas out and I am already fully committed to working for my faith family for needy folk who often have needy critters attached

For me it was a way to thank folk here personally who have been so kind and supportive in so many ways.

The Secret Santa was perfect for me. Knitted abed as I do all the time!

So I will bow out and let you all get on with it.

Blessings and thanks for my one Secret Santa time!

OK so from the feedback so far I'm getting that some feel not everyone is putting in the same effort as others. As well as that quite a lot of people are worrying that what they have is not 'good enough'. Some of these people are going over the spending limit in efforts to ensure their gift is appreciated by the reciever and others suffering in silence worrying about how their gift will be received. This explains at least in part the drop in numbers. It seams the whole process rather than being an enjoyable part of the Christmas festivities is putting an unnecessary amount of stress and worry on a large number of participants. The prospect of getting an unusual pet is also putting people off and I don't think its fair to allow people to pick and chose what pet they get. If everyone wanted to do that it would be mayhem and just wouldn't work at all.

Some of the suggestions made: someone suggested a theme. I feel as some people are already struggling to come up with something inventive especially for more unusual pets this would add even more stress and put even more people off entering.

Elfster works well sometimes but largely removes the need for an administrator and I feel someone should be aware of who has your personal details, just in case anyone's info would happen to be misused in any way.

I think in reality the Secret Santa has run its course. If anyone has ideas of something else to do for Christmas, preferably that doesn't involve spending money or exchanging personal details we are all ears. A lot of charities are running events where participants walk, run, cycle or swim a certain distance over the period of a month. It usually amounts to 5k per day. What if we had a thread in say November where people undertook to do those for a charity of their choice and posted their progress, how many km they were up to or how much money they raised to date? I know its difficult with the rules on rescues but if we allowed each poster to post a link to their fundraiser just once with no commentary allowed on the charity they have chosen would that be acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

i know logistics are always a problem but what about a meet up with pet (ok -dogs will win here but theres always a compromise) & charity whatnot for some agreed up rescue or rescues? could be a pub or park and cafe meet up and/or animal themed quiz or wierd habbits of animals ( what animal can change its sex/eats it mate after mating etc) animal in pop culture/films etc. Id offer to do the quiz.Could be done in Jan to take the time pressure off everyone and no some of it could be skyped or streamed for those who cannot go?

BTW I know someone who looks forward all november and december about their boardsie secret santa !! They can well afford their own prezzies for the pet but love love love that someone is getting their gift and that someone cares enough to send their pet a surprise!! They are such tpugh cookie on the outside that it always make my heart sing a little to see them so happy about something so ‘small’ : )

Love it and that was how I felt! Thank you as I felt I was being silly. As a family we do not do gifts and quite honestly with 6 cats to feed on a small pension ( not complaining l just facts) there is nothing to spare for gifts .
    I loved too the giving; folk here are stars. You really are, Few out here understand the grief of losing pets, and that weekend I lost two, would not have coped but for thee. Was in shock.

Sadly cannot take part in a meet-up. Am closed down by 3 or 4 pm for various reasons. Wish I could knit for folk though as gifts. If there is any way?

There was talk of Secret Santa over on the Christmas thread and they came here and decided not. I said that it was sad to say no when just a few had caused issues, and that they are a very motivated forum. as we are.

Changing it to New Year is a good idea too; might help avert the January blues..

i know logistics are always a problem but what about a meet up with pet (ok -dogs will win here but theres always a compromise) & charity whatnot for some agreed up rescue or rescues? could be a pub or park and cafe meet up and/or animal themed quiz or wierd habbits of animals ( what animal can change its sex/eats it mate after mating etc) animal in pop culture/films etc. Id offer to do the quiz.Could be done in Jan to take the time pressure off everyone and no some of it could be skyped or streamed for those who cannot go?

BTW I know someone who looks forward all november and december about their boardsie secret santa !! They can well afford their own prezzies for the pet but love love love that someone is getting their gift and that someone cares enough to send their pet a surprise!! They are such tpugh cookie on the outside that it always make my heart sing a little to see them so happy about something so ‘small’ : )

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wish I could knit for folk though as gifts. If there is any way?

I knit too, albeit very slow compared to you :) been working on a plain stockinette jumper with garter stitch detailing on the sleeves for about 3 months :)

I was actually thinking about those of us who knit, crochet or other fibre arts when I mentioned maybe some sort or scene out of a Christmas movie or song and how we could contribute. I knit toys & jumpers for our pets, only cause I know they don’t ingest or destroy their plushies.

I’d imagine that anyone would enjoy a hand knitted gift for their pet, I know we would :)

Advertisement