Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with weeds on chippings?

Options
  • 17-01-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi had purplie chippings installed as part of a pavement design a few years ago. There's been a major problem with weeds though, since the second year. How do others here manage them and would a solution of salt be any good? There is plastic underneath but weeds grow through or on top of the plastic over time,soil is forming between the chips.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Hi had purplie chippings installed as part of a pavement design a few years ago. There's been a major problem with weeds though, since the second year. How do others here manage them and would a solution of salt be any good? There is plastic underneath but weeds grow through or on top of the plastic over time,soil is forming between the chips.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    S

Going to happen with anything biodegradable material over time, including chippings treated with fungicide etc... If you're keen to maintain the aesthetic I'd guess it is a matter of replacing them every now and again. Personally I wouldn't be a fan of putting any kind of herbicide or salt down on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The weeds usually grow from a build up of material which is similar to compost that settles under the stones and over the plastic. If it's just one area move the stones and remove the build up. Like everything outdoors it requires maintenance on an ongoing basis. Spraying with weed killer every once in a while could do the job or manually removing the weeds as they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

I do pull the weeds but it's literally a full-time job, and more so this winter because growth never really stopped... Even weedkiller, apart from the chemical aspect, not sure if it would really penetrate the roots... Would it be normal to simply need fresh chippings every few years? Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

I do pull the weeds but it's literally a full-time job, and more so this winter because growth never really stopped... Even weedkiller, apart from the chemical aspect, not sure if it would really penetrate the roots... Would it be normal to simply need fresh chippings every few years? Thanks
    S

Membranes will not stop all weeds from growing but they do make their growth slower and removing them easier. Simply plucking them out before they get big is the easiest method of removing them I know. There should be no weeds growing up through the membrane and that would indicate it was put down without the ground being prepared properly first. If the weeds are growing through the membrane it has already been damaged and will not work properly. The most common herbicide glyphosate is designed to be absorbed through the plant leaves so it does not need to be applied to the weed roots.

If there is soil in with the gravel chips at this stage and you have the spare cash you could rip it all up and try again with maybe a deeper layer of chips to help the system stay clear for longer. All perennial weeds should be removed before laying the membrane. There will still be some weed seeds sprout eventually but if you are more careful about keeping the chips clean and removing any seedling weeds before they get well established it might last longer and be less work. A situation like you describe is one of the reasons I do not use plastic membranes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've used a vinegar and salt solution with great success.

Be fully warned it kills everything all plants and the weeds. So it's not targeted.

But works extremely well .apply in warmer dry weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Thanks Listermint, what would the best concentrate be between salt, water and vinegar? Will definitely try this.. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've about 500sqm of loose chippings and weeds are a perennial problem (sorry).

I don't bother with weedkiller, they just get scuffled with a rake. As soon as you dislodge the root they'll die. It's a lot of work, and boring, so I pay someone to do it along with other grounds maintenance.

Ideally I'd have paving, but that would bankrupt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks Listermint, what would the best concentrate be between salt, water and vinegar? Will definitely try this.. ��

No dilution with water.

Straight vinegar

https://www.asiamarket.ie/pride-spirit-vinegar-5-litres.html

And a table spoon of salt. And a teaspoon of washing up liquid so it sticks to plants leaves.

Works out vastly cheaper than any weedkillers from the shops.. they are absolute robbery.

Also is is better environmentally

Advertisement