Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgall Hillfort

Options
  • 04-11-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I have a question for the more knowledgable out there.

We were down at the Rathgall Hillfort on Monday and I noticed a set of parallel upright mounted slabs in the field just to the east of the fort.
    These slabs seem to be part of a collection that surrounds a natural hollow in the field surface, and was full of water at the time.

My question really is this,

Is it a natural formation?, or a ritualistic feature? or something placed there by the farmer who ownes the field?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hey folks,

I have a question for the more knowledgable out there.

We were down at the Rathgall Hillfort on Monday and I noticed a set of parallel upright mounted slabs in the field just to the east of the fort.
    These slabs seem to be part of a collection that surrounds a natural hollow in the field surface, and was full of water at the time.

My question really is this,

Is it a natural formation?, or a ritualistic feature? or something placed there by the farmer who ownes the field?

There is nothing of an archaeological nature recorded for that location. It’s highly unlikely that this is an oversight.
    As far as I recall, that depression always holds water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

slowburner wrote: »
    There is nothing of an archaeological nature recorded for that location. It’s highly unlikely that this is an oversight.
    As far as I recall, that depression always holds water.

Hi Slowburner.
    After comparing older maps to current pictures it would appear that the pond feature is actually the original outer boundary remains.

Advertisement