Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying used cherry-picker - diesel or electric

Options
  • 30-10-2019 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Costwise, for a long repair-and-maintenance project, it's going to be a lot cheaper for me to buy a used cherry picker than rent one for what will be about a year's work on and off. Scanning the ads for the last couple of months, the best offers I've seen for the right type (10-15m articulated self-driving) are for a few battery powered machines that need new batteries (an extra 2k according to most sellers). Today I came across an ad for a diesel-powered machine, older than the others but apparently good to go with nothing more than a fill of fuel.

In terms of day-to-day use, is there much difference between the two types? I worked on a site a few years ago where the scissor lifts were diesel powered and don't remember any particular negative points (other than me being the one who had to go and get four jerry cans of diesel for them every so often!) ; but there must be a good reason why the majority of ex-rental equipment seems to be electric ... or is there?

For context: this'll be for my own use - working mostly on the roof & associated structures, from outside and underneath (barn), 1-3 weeks at a time, depending on the weather, then 1-3 weeks off, on/off/on/off until the job is done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

there must be a good reason why the majority of ex-rental equipment seems to be electric ... or is there?

electric ones can be used indoors and outdoors, diesel is out door only, so must small ones are electric for maximum flexibility in the hire business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ah right, that makes sense. Thanks. My own usage would be 90% outdoors, and the 10 indoors would be in well-ventilated barns, so diesel would be fine.

My original idea was to buy, use for a year or two, then sell on, but after another week trawling the ads, I'm wondering if the re-sale market is all that healthy? It looks like it's saturated with ex-rental equipment. Now I'm thinking that I'd be better off looking for an older, cheaper model and keeping it indefinitely for ongoing roof maintenance, tree-pruning, whatever else needs a "long ladder" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

used electrics can be a nightmare: we've done it, twice, and between batteries, controllers, chargers..........look at it this way: there's a reason they're for sale.

Diesel far more straightforward imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

galwaytt wrote: »
    between batteries, controllers, chargers...

Ahhh. So not just a question of dodgy batteries, then. That's useful to know.

I've come across one machine this week that looks like it might be right for me. 1994 Bizzicchi 4-stroke diesel engine with a 14m height/ 8-9m horizontal reach, and within budget. Waiting to hear back from the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Ahhh. So not just a question of dodgy batteries, then. That's useful to know.

I've come across one machine this week that looks like it might be right for me. 1994 Bizzicchi 4-stroke diesel engine with a 14m height/ 8-9m horizontal reach, and within budget. Waiting to hear back from the seller.

Make sure it is certified and has a GA1 6 month inspection..................................................If not it like buying a car or van without an NCT or CVRT............basically for scrap price.......................

• Advertisement
Advertisement