Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-09-2020, 17:14   #31
Sardonicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQD View Post
People will look back on the interior decor now and be like "absolutely everything was grey.. what was with that?.."
I'd take a bright pink bathroom suite over a grey living room any day.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 17:15   #32
CQD

I kind of think the 70s were a kind of zenith in terms of style Tbh..

Flares and blazers on the gentlemen..
Those short skirts and knee high boots on the ladies..I mean like, damn...
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2020, 17:17   #33
Sardonicat

Quote:
I kind of think the 70s were a kind of zenith in terms of style Tbh..

Flares and blazers on the gentlemen..
Those short skirts and knee high boots on the ladies..I mean like, damn...
But you'd have to put paper bags over everyone's heads to hide the terrifying hair.
27-09-2020, 17:19   #34
CQD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonicat View Post
But you'd have to put paper bags over everyone's heads to hide the terrifying hair.
The ladies were foxy..
27-09-2020, 17:25   #35
Sardonicat

Quote:
The ladies were foxy..
We still are...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 17:48   #36
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
I was a teen from 1974 onwards, and the young men's hair was a big turn off for me. There were the odd funky items to wear. I well remember the orange kitchens. My aunt in Bray got her large kitchen painted orange, her older teenage children pinned those orange and yellow flying fish to the ceiling, and I asked could we paint our small kitchen orange, so I was given a paintbrush. Before that kitchens were absolutely featureless, so it was the first ever real attempt to make something out of a typical suburban kitchen. We couldn't afford to stretch to the avocado bathroom, but they were typically being fitted to new builds.
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2020, 18:00   #37
Sardonicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
I was a teen from 1974 onwards, and the young men's hair was a big turn off for me. There were the odd funky items to wear. I well remember the orange kitchens. My aunt in Bray got her large kitchen painted orange, her older teenage children pinned those orange and yellow flying fish to the ceiling, and I asked could we paint our small kitchen orange, so I was given a paintbrush. Before that kitchens were absolutely featureless, so it was the first ever real attempt to make something out of a typical suburban kitchen. We couldn't afford to stretch to the avocado bathroom, but they were typically being fitted to new builds.
Kitchens were only starting to change from totally functiontal areas for cooking, cleaning and storage. Our kitchen in the seventies only had a fitted unit under the sink, there was a free standing dresser from the 50/60s for non perishables and crockery, a fridge (no fridge freezer til 1977), a twin tub that was heaved into the middle of the room once a week (Friday)and was in operation from dawn til dusk (chippy dinners on wash day) and was used as a work surface the rest of the week, a formica table with foldable wings and two stools that were stored under it when not in use, three chairs and a cooker with a grill up top. Nothing matched. Lots of buckets and basins here and there for use on wash day. The idea of the kitchen needing to be a pleasant place visually was still quite 'notiony'.
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2020, 18:14   #38
Kylta

You can look back on any decade and you'll find nightmarish style. The one piece of clothing I hated from the 70s was the tank top. A woman in our flats used to knit the bleeding things and they were gross. About style in general one person idea of style can be another persons version of monstrosity
(2) thanks from:
27-09-2020, 18:16   #39
Edgware

How can you criticise a decade that gave us flared trousers, Gary Glitter, Noddy Holder AND Showaddywaddy?
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 18:21   #40
Kylta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
How can you criticise a decade that gave us flared trousers, Gary Glitter, Noddy Holder AND Showaddywaddy?
Ah Lsd will do that for you. Glitter should've been castrated
(3) thanks from:
27-09-2020, 18:22   #41
the purple tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardonicat View Post
We've gone back to that again.
The dyed blonde hair, neo-mullets and weird bouffants on lads in their teens and 20s nowadays are cringeworthy.
(3) thanks from:
27-09-2020, 18:27   #42
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
And Sally Carr.

Last edited by Charles Babbage; 27-09-2020 at 21:05.
27-09-2020, 18:37   #43
whisky_galore

Architecture here at any rate was urban concrete brutalism or rural bungalow blight, not much better now with architects with a horn for boring glass boxes everywhere.

Overuse of carpet, esp in places where carpet wasn't practical, pubs and toilets. Disliked the "busy" wallpaper favoured at the time, would give you a headache just looking at it.

Coloured bathroom suites date very quickly. Best stick to timeless white, can't go wrong.
27-09-2020, 18:51   #44
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylta View Post
Ah Lsd will do that for you. Glitter should've been castrated
Large bottles of Harp made everything look rosy especially while smoking a few Woodbines.
And how could a decade that gave "Oh no its Selwyn Froggit" starring the late great Bill Maynard be called lacking in taste

Last edited by Edgware; 27-09-2020 at 19:03.
27-09-2020, 20:01   #45
Hamsterchops

Those ABBA outfits were cringeworthy alright, but sexy as hell.

Other fashion crimes included platform shoes, giant sideburns, bell-bottoms & shiny white boots!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion