Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ralph Martin

Options
  • 24-01-2021 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I am really impressed with Ralph Martin's work lately. I knew of him before but only recently started to listen to his stuff on Youtube. I think his spirituality is a great blend of that charismatic, Bible-belivin' vibe and a theologically rigorous discussions. Martin knows his Scriptures - but he is also very knowledgeable on mystics such as St John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Avila.

His book, 'Will Many Be Saved?', is also a great read. It goes through the Catholic position on the question and traces all of the historical controversies surrounding it. Great analysis of the Scriptures on this point as well.

I know that we are back to Ordinary Time, but Martin recently did a 4 part Advent retreat online, which had some great spiritual tips. I link the first part!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Many thanks for this. I know "of him" but haven't listed to anything much really.

With regard to the book, did you find it dense going or is it accessible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

Many thanks for this. I know "of him" but haven't listed to anything much really.

With regard to the book, did you find it dense going or is it accessible?

It's written in a lovely way - it flows, but at the same time its quite academic. Parts of it read like what you would expect from a spiritual lecture.

Martin talks about the extreme optimism of the 'anonymous Christian' and 'the reasonable hope', as well as the salvation pessimism of Fr Leonard Feeney. I have yet to finish the entire thing, but it is a great read and I think a fairly balanced account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

I noticed that Ralph Martin is offering a free Lenten retreat, following on from the one he did for Advent. I only got to listen to some of it last night, but it was quality stuff.

Advertisement