Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buymie - no fees on dunnes orders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭MickH503

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Buymie allows you to get shopping delivered from Dunnes, Lidl and Tesco.

What areas do they cover? Just tried my parent's address in Clare and it says they do not deliver in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What is the mark-up % on products?
    Will i get a e10 coupon if I spend e50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭GBX

MickH503 wrote: »
    What areas do they cover? Just tried my parent's address in Clare and it says they do not deliver in that area.

You need to check it on the app if its covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

zell12 wrote: »

It’s around 10% but it depends. Not bad considering we’re in a pandemic in my opinion. You don’t even need to spend €50, I got the €10 off when I spent less but can’t remember what’s the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

MickH503 wrote: »
    Dublin and Cork only by the looks of it:
    https://intercom.help/buymietechnology/en/articles/1935978-where-does-buymie-deliver-in-ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The title is misleading. They only waive the delivery fee, the 5.75% service fee for Dunnes Stores and 1€ platform fee still apply. Only the delivery charge is waved.

At least according to the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

zell12 wrote: »

My parents used it, mother thought it was great, father was not impressed with a lack of receipt and lack of vouchers (dont know if the no receipt thing is a policy? maybe it is if they add a percentage onto the cost of products. Checked the costs on their website there listed below...
    PRICE AND PAYMENT
    All individual item prices displayed in the app, are estimated and individual item prices displayed in all stores excluding ( Lidl 13.75%) & Dunnes Stores ( 5.75%) are inclusive of the Buymie Platform service fee (15.75%). Listed prices on our platform are indicative and your total cart value is an estimated amount only. For each order, your payment card may be charged twice, the first on the estimated grocery value, the second on the delivery fee, the Buymie processing fee and any price difference that the shopper may update at the final checkout if any. Item price may change due to the difference between the item price listed on our platform and in-store price, and/or if a Substitute Product commands a higher or lower price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Xterminator

buymie fees are madness. it works out cheaper for me to get a taxi to and from the Lidl than use buymie to purchase a basket of 100 euro.

so this is a bargain alert with an asterix!

buymie fees are madness. it works out cheaper for me to get a taxi to and from the Lidl than use buymie to purchase a basket of 100 euro.

I totally get what you’re saying but remember we’re in a pandemic. Do you really want to be getting a taxi AND going in to a shop full of people to save a few quid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

realistically its not that bad from what I can see...

€100 shop in Lidl+ 13.75% + €4.99 Delivery (free for dunnes) = €118.74 total
    You'd not get a taxi there and back for €18.74 in Dublin anyway!

The down side really comes with Dunnes when you cant use 2x€10 vouchers on the €100 euro shop

Edit - thats only free delivery for dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Doop wrote: »
    The down side really comes with Dunnes when you cant use 2x€10 vouchers on the €100 euro shop
    I wonder what's happening to the vouchers. Does the company keep and use them? Is it a lucrative bonus for the shopper?

steve-o wrote: »
    I wonder what's happening to the vouchers. Does the company keep and use them? Is is a lucrative bonus for the shopper?

Haha that’s a good question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It can add up but you've got to remember somebody has to go into the supermarket and do your shopping for you. Minimum wage is 10.10 an hour so Id imagine a lot of the fees are going towards paying that to the employee who picks the shopping and then delivers it to your door.

At the other end of the shop and delivery spectrum is Tesco who subsidise the whole operation. In the past Ive ordered 60 quid worth of shopping and the delivery cost was as low as 3 euro. Which is incredible value really for someone to pick out all the items and then for the van to go on an almost 30km round trip to deliver it to me. If I did it myself the whole operation from start to finish would take slightly over 2 hours to get there do the shopping and get back again. So 3 euro delivery is a total bargain and a big time saver for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It can add up but you've got to remember somebody has to go into the supermarket and do your shopping for you. Minimum wage is 10.10 an hour so Id imagine a lot of the fees are going towards paying that to the employee who picks the shopping and then delivers it to your door.

At the other end of the shop and delivery spectrum is Tesco who subsidise the whole operation. In the past Ive ordered 60 quid worth of shopping and the delivery cost was as low as 3 euro. Which is incredible value really for someone to pick out all the items and then for the van to go on an almost 30km round trip to deliver it to me. If I did it myself the whole operation from start to finish would take slightly over 2 hours to get there do the shopping and get back again. So 3 euro delivery is a total bargain and a big time saver for myself.

And even the delivery charge is waived for pensioners, I'm not a big fan of Tesco as a company, nor the relative poor value and product range of Tesco Ireland vs Tesco UK but the cheap/free home delivery is a vey good deal.

Couldn’t have said it better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Father Frisky

Agree with this 100% and I'm not fan of Tesco. The entry of aldi/lidl to the home delivery market has shown just how costly a service it is to provide. I would also say Supervalu is a great delivery option and much more widely available

Agree with this 100% and I'm not fan of Tesco. The entry of aldi/lidl to the home delivery market has shown just how costly a service it is to provide. I would also say Supervalu is a great delivery option and much more widely available

I’ve never used supervalu for home deliveries is it easy to get slots?

At the other end of the shop and delivery spectrum is Tesco who subsidise the whole operation. In the past Ive ordered 60 quid worth of shopping and the delivery cost was as low as 3 euro. .

no you are absolutely correct. this is a bargain alerts forum, and i was making the point tesco will deliver for a flat fee, as will supervalu. the fee varies - but it is between €3 and €8 from those suppliers. And they dont charge you more for buying more. i don't dispute the cost of providing the service, i am highlighting the less that obvious disparity of the pricing model employed by buymie.

Buymie wanted 20 euro approx for a 100 euro shop and i can get a taxi to lidl and back for €10 each way - even though this was disputed by someone who doesnt know me earlier.

I think that if buymie are charging multiples of what tesco and supervalu charge, literally (in my case) it was 2.5x - 7x times more of a delivery charge to provide a similar service this should be highlighted.

I think buymie are not overly transparent about the different charges. There should be one summarised charge and it should be prominent. What really got me was when i contemplated doing my big christmas shop with Lidl via buymie. That is because their pricing model is different that the others - it increases as you buy more. Yet the retailer makes more profit as you spend more. As does the personal shopper.

So everyone wins except the consumer when you shop via buymie. It is the opposite with tesco/supervalu, as you save more if you use the multibuy savings & special offers , & buy one bigger shop less often. that way the delivery charge is static even if you buy more, the consumer can make good savings.

What you're saying is all well and good but it isn't really relevant as this thread is about Dunnes Stores and not Lidl. If you want to do that same €100 shop in Dunnes Stores it will cost 5.75% + €1 + free delivery = €6.75 extra, which is much cheaper than a return taxi no matter where you are. That's why it's a bargain alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Filled my Dunnes basket on buyme last night. Service fee 6.76 (order was between 30 and 40 euro). Went over to Tesco and got those items and more to meet the 30 euro minimum (Tesco much cheaper) and got delivery for €3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Caranica wrote: »
    Filled my Dunnes basket on buyme last night. Service fee 6.76 (order was between 30 and 40 euro). Went over to Tesco and got those items and more to meet the 30 euro minimum (Tesco much cheaper) and got delivery for €3.

You got same day delivery for €3?

Its booked out for weeks where I am

Caranica wrote: »

Buyme = delivery in 2 hours
    Tesco = next slot in 14 days

Lucky you having a Tesco slot next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You got same day delivery for €3?

Its booked out for weeks where I am

Next day. Did it last night, loads of slots available for today then next available slots are Wednesday

Lucky you, nothing before Tue 2nd Feb, even Amazon is quicker.

What you're saying is all well and good but it isn't really relevant as this thread is about Dunnes Stores and not Lidl. If you want to do that same €100 shop in Dunnes Stores it will cost 5.75% + €1 + free delivery = €6.75 extra, which is much cheaper than a return taxi no matter where you are. That's why it's a bargain alert.

that's well and good, but if someone who is less tech savvy buys from dunnes this week using buymie, then returns after the free qualifying period they will be hit with buymie's hidden charges.

My mum would be the kind of person i fear would be caught out by the stealthy and less transparent way the charges are applied.

You may be happy it is currently a bargain, that they charge the about the same as their competitors! After the special order period, they will jack up the pricing but will hope to retain a lot of the new business they attract.

that's well and good, but if someone who is less tech savvy buys from dunnes this week using buymie, then returns after the free qualifying period they will be hit with buymie's hidden charges.

No they wouldn't. The "hidden charges" are there this week too, it's only the delivery fee that isn't.

My mum would be the kind of person i fear would be caught out by the stealthy and less transparent way the charges are applied.

You may be happy it is currently a bargain, that they charge the about the same as their competitors! After the special order period, they will jack up the pricing but will hope to retain a lot of the new business they attract.

What hidden charges, on the confirmation page the charges are clearly called out before you even book a slot.

There is no jacking up the prices for Dunnes. The prices are the same as in store, all that is added (before you submit the order) is the 5.75% + €1 processing fee.

No Fees are waved, I called this out before, the Title is wrong, all that is waved is the delivery fee.

For the other stores the prices might be higher than in the store but for Dunnes that is not the case.

It's a valid bargain alert as the delivery fee is waived but the title should be really adjusted to reflect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Buyme = delivery in 2 hours
    Tesco = next slot in 14 days

Lucky you having a Tesco slot next day!

Really you got in 2 hours? Anytime ive used the app in Swords/Malahide area slots are visible but wont let me book. So i have to go further out 3/4/5 days. I see the marketing says delivery in an hour, but never got anywhere near that!

Really you got in 2 hours? Anytime ive used the app in Swords/Malahide area slots are visible but wont let me book. So i have to go further out 3/4/5 days. I see the marketing says delivery in an hour, but never got anywhere near that!

I used to live in Swords, I always managed to get slots the same day. Sometimes I was forced to request more than once.

Now in Cork I get them same day usualy without a problem, once there was nothing for 2 days but that was during the snow (well the inch that did fall).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nikki2021

Is there not a platform fee with buymie and what you pay upfront is an estimate and readjusted once you receive delivery?

I used to live in Swords, I always managed to get slots the same day. Sometimes I was forced to request more than once.

Now in Cork I get them same day usualy without a problem, once there was nothing for 2 days but that was during the snow (well the inch that did fall).

They are probably flat out due to level 5 I suppose. I didnt think the pricing was very transparent which left a negative feeling. I gave feedback to support so maybe it will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I think you are far better off getting Tesco delivery, than using Buymie.

Tesco have one clear delivery fee - it varies deepening on the time slot you pick, but let's call it €5, on average. Thereafter, you deal directly with Tesco, there is no additional margin added to the retailers price, you can use your Tesco vouchers against your purchase, and you get your Club card loyalty points.

Now, compare that with the current offer from Buymie - where they still add their margin, and the €1 fee, you can't use your existing Dunnes vouchers, you don't get your Value Card loyalty points, and the £10 off your next shop, also doesn't materialise.

Do the maths my friends, Buymie are definitely not offering a good deal... And they are even worse, if you look at what they charge if you want to use them for their other retailers!

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I think you are far better off getting Tesco delivery, than using Buymie.

Tesco have one clear delivery fee - it varies deepening on the time slot you pick, but let's call it €5, on average. Thereafter, you deal directly with Tesco, there is no additional margin added to the retailers price, you can use your Tesco vouchers against your purchase, and you get your Club card loyalty points.

Now, compare that with the current offer from Buymie - where they still add their margin, and the €1 fee, you can't use your existing Dunnes vouchers, you don't get your Value Card loyalty points, and the £10 off your next shop, also doesn't materialise.

Do the maths my friends, Buymie are definitely not offering a good deal... And they are even worse, if you look at what they charge if you want to use them for their other retailers!

I guess their model is based on convenience. You can spend 2 hours of your time door to door doing a big shop. Throw in some kids or a lack of transport and it can really be an onerous task.

I don't mind paying for convenience as long as the pricing is all clear which I felt it wasn't. Their charges are buried into a subtotal. If there are substitutions and the total changes they bill you the next day. Also the percentage tip system isnt how I would like to tip. I'd rather pay an amount like a fiver or smth. When you tip it's not clear how much you will actually pay. So all in all for a Lidl shop, it can really add up and negate the bargains you get in Lidl.

Yeah it’s definitely convenience. I wouldn’t do a €100 on buymie but I’d definitely do smaller shops at times.

Its comparing apples and oranges though. Tesco are losing money on their online delivery operation because it is subsidised, it is even free for over 65s
    “All the incumbents have been cross-subsidising home delivery from their store operations,” said Nick Harrison, global retail practice co-leader at consultants Oliver Wyman. He estimates that it costs upwards of £10 to pick and fulfil each order, whereas delivery charges to the customer are half that amount.
    This is effectively the business model for Buymie, an Irish start-up. Its operatives pick goods from stores and deliver in the Dublin area. Customers use an app to shop and are charged a platform fee and a delivery fee that is dependent on how quickly they want their goods. 

“When we first started looking at it in 2014, across the UK and Ireland there were nine companies losing £300m a year between them on online delivery,” said Buymie founder Devan Hughes. His background in energy markets convinced him that shared infrastructure was the only way to achieve the volume and capacity utilisation needed to make grocery delivery profitable. 
    https://www.ft.com/content/8aa756ac-3c35-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

Ultimately the end game for online delivery is robots picking and packing your groceries and eventually self driving cars delivering it. The likes of Tesco are subsidising it now to gain market share until new technologies come on stream. Only then will they make a profit on it whereas Buymie have to make a profit now because they're not a multi billion quid business like Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

... Ultimately the end game for online delivery is robots picking and packing your groceries and eventually self driving cars delivering it. The likes of Tesco are subsidising it now to gain market share until new technologies come on stream. Only then will they make a profit on it whereas Buymie have to make a profit now because they're not a multi billion quid business like Tesco.

While I agree with you entirely on the automation thing, it doesn't take away from the bottom line here - Tesco are offering the better deal, for customers.

If all other things were equal, or even close, I would rather buy from an Irish business, but that's not the case here.

This is the bargain section and unfortunitely, Buymie ain't offering a bargin.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

steve-o wrote: »
    I wonder what's happening to the vouchers. Does the company keep and use them? Is it a lucrative bonus for the shopper?
    I presume the buymie shoppers uses the voucher thereby saving the company the money on the next order, very lucrative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

garrettod wrote: »
    While I agree with you entirely on the automation thing, it doesn't take away from the bottom line here - Tesco are offering the better deal, for customers.

If all other things were equal, or even close, I would rather buy from an Irish business, but that's not the case here.

This is the bargain section and unfortunitely, Buymie ain't offering a bargin.

It is when you take 10 off the first shop

It is when you take 10 off the first shop

Yeah the tenner off on top of no delivery charge means a lot of shops will be cheaper than going in yourself.

Freezing out today, time for buymie to save me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

I presume the buymie shoppers uses the voucher thereby saving the company the money on the next order, very lucrative

Shopper must scan the receipt after shopping, and Voucher is inactive right away

It is possible buymie shopper has a voucher from a previous shop. It is possible they are getting clubcard points too. From the consumer's point of view, it does not really matter if the voucher value ends up in the Dunnes till or the pocket of the buymie shopper. It does not end up saving the consumer money.

With Tesco and SuperValu you collect Clubcard points and can use your vouchers when shopping online.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

It is possible buymie shopper has a voucher from a previous shop. It is possible they are getting clubcard points too. From the consumer's point of view, it does not really matter if the voucher value ends up in the Dunnes till or the pocket of the buymie shopper. It does not end up saving the consumer money.

With Tesco and SuperValu you collect Clubcard points and can use your vouchers when shopping online.
    Everything is possible, but shopper has to scan Dunnes receipt, so club points will display on it, and this way he will either loose he's job or they will deduct from weekly wage.
    As we were told club voucher number is sent off to Dunnes for cancellation.

I assume they have a contract with Dunnes etc not to use their vouchers and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jthalp

Good discussion folks. Here are some facts as I've just used the service, given feedback to buyie and had some replies from them to my questions. (I've used SuperQuinn/superValue for years so can compare experience):-
    - To place my order I used the buyie app and Dunnes Stores in Cournelscourt, Dublin
    - Order placed on 03/02 this week. I requested delivery the next day - got a delivery slot estimate time of between 5pm + 6pm
    - Order placing experience on the App very good - easy to use, save favourites etc.
    - Ordered tracking on the App so you can see when the shopper is actually doing the shopping, delivering etc.
    - Order delivered on 04/02 at 5.30pm by a very nice lad in his early 20's I guess - using his own transport (hey, it's the Platform Economy).
    - Checked the order - all items delivered but 2 were wrong type i.e not the exact one I ordered but close - not a big issue really.
    - Cost of Groceries was €155.46. Total charge to my card was €170.09. Delivery was free - first order. The difference is due the the various charges (not quite hidden as you can look them up on their website). Note apart from the Platform charge there is also VAT on that as well. I couldn't quite tally the full amount of the charges but it was close - so approx. €15 total in various charges.
    - Vouchers:- This is the biggie! You cannot use any Dunnes vouchers you have (I had €15 worth) and you do not get any vouchers back for your shop - I would have been entitled to €15 (I think). That effectively adds €30 to the cost of my shop using buyie as opposed to me going to the store itself!
    - I gave buyie feedback and they got back to me quickly. The acknowledged the Vouch issue and confirmed that the shopper does not get my order voucher nor does anyone in Dunnes.

Hope this helps.

Here is the fee structure they emailed me...
    This fee is varied depending on your location and the retailer you choose to shop with:
    • 13.75% for Lidl - Ireland
    • 5.75% for Dunnes Stores - Ireland
    • 15.75% for Tesco - Ireland
    VAT is payable on the platform fee at 21%
    A processing fee of €1 is also applied to every order to cover the cost of payment
    The platform fee goes towards paying your personal shopper for their time and service, as well as maintaining and improving the Buymie platform.

.....and buymie's reply to my questions about the Dunnes vouchers...

All vouchers are disabled at the time of checkout, our shoppers do not have access to use or retrieve any of the vouchers - and no-one within Buymie or Dunnes stores will be able to use the vouchers.

The Dunnes vouchers are highly requested and we hope to be able to enable this feature very soon in the future, we thank you for your patience.

jthalp wrote: »
    Good discussion folks. Here are some facts as I've just used the service, given feedback to buyie and had some replies from them to my questions. (I've used SuperQuinn/superValue for years so can compare experience):-
    - To place my order I used the buyie app and Dunnes Stores in Cournelscourt, Dublin
    - Order placed on 03/02 this week. I requested delivery the next day - got a delivery slot estimate time of between 5pm + 6pm
    - Order placing experience on the App very good - easy to use, save favourites etc.
    - Ordered tracking on the App so you can see when the shopper is actually doing the shopping, delivering etc.
    - Order delivered on 04/02 at 5.30pm by a very nice lad in his early 20's I guess - using his own transport (hey, it's the Platform Economy).
    - Checked the order - all items delivered but 2 were wrong type i.e not the exact one I ordered but close - not a big issue really.
    - Cost of Groceries was €155.46. Total charge to my card was €170.09. Delivery was free - first order. The difference is due the the various charges (not quite hidden as you can look them up on their website). Note apart from the Platform charge there is also VAT on that as well. I couldn't quite tally the full amount of the charges but it was close - so approx. €15 total in various charges.
    - Vouchers:- This is the biggie! You cannot use any Dunnes vouchers you have (I had €15 worth) and you do not get any vouchers back for your shop - I would have been entitled to €15 (I think). That effectively adds €30 to the cost of my shop using buyie as opposed to me going to the store itself!
    - I gave buyie feedback and they got back to me quickly. The acknowledged the Vouch issue and confirmed that the shopper does not get my order voucher nor does anyone in Dunnes.

Hope this helps.

Very good summary, thanks for posting.

And yeah agree that not being able to use the vouchers is a massive downside especially as Dunnes prices are already inflated to account for voucher use. If you cant use vouchers then that makes for a pretty expensive shop.

Still though 15 euro for someone to do 155 euros worth of shopping doesnt sound too bad for the time saving it gives you. If they sort the voucher issue then its a good service for those who are buying big shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Issue with Tesco/Supervalu is its impossible to find a quick delivery slot. I checked Tesco there and earliest slot I can get is Monday evening between 7-9pm and that's €7 delivery fee for the privilege as well, Supervalu is Tuesday and €8 delivery. Can go on Buymie now and get a delivery slot at whatever time you want tomorrow, with 'free' delivery if using Dunnes and spending €40 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I used them for a lidl order a couple of weeks ago.

Long story short I wouldn't be using them again.

Main reasons, it's unclear what the costs are and even if you have discounts, some seem to work and others don't.

The support was not helpful either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement