Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending chimney breast - air gap/materials around stove

Options
  • 18-01-2021 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I plan to build a small stud wall extending my chimney breast into the room about 400mm. This stud will house a recessed tv and will extend out over an existing stove. The stove is not in use, but may be years into the future or if someone else buys the house.

My question is, giving consideration to possible heat in future, what materials can I use to build this stud and what distances should be left around the stove.

Logic tells me use metal stud with (I think it exists), the longer fire rated plasterboard. Using a metal stud would be a pain the hole with the cut out over the stove and opening for tv so was hoping to maybe use wood and double plasterboard around stove?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Thanks. Had a look through regs and there doesn't seem to be details for what I'm wondering? Plenty of dims for distance to flue but not stove to combustible material.

Big issue seems to be if the distance to a combustible material applies to plasterboard and if not, can wood be put behind plasterboard well inside the stoves 'minimum distance to a combustible material'

I think if I doubled up plasterboard and used wood it might not be too bad? About 200mm from stove. Back half of stove will be covered. Front half exposed.

Advertisement