Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I'd imagine it'll be under 30. I hear there will be new news tomorrow (Wed)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Any more info today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0924/visa.html

One-year US visa deal is signed
    listen Wednesday, 24 September 2008 16:03

The Minister for Foreign Affairs has concluded a new agreement with the US government that will enable Irish citizens to work and travel in the US.

The agreement was signed at a ceremony in Washington by Micheál Martin and the US Deputy Secretary of State, John Negroponte.

The Working Holiday Agreement will enable a minimum of 20,000 Irish citizens who are in, or have recently completed, post-secondary education to work and travel in the US for up to 12 months.

Mr Martin said: 'This represents one of the most significant developments in our visa arrangements with the US in almost two decades.'

Under the terms of the deal, up to 5,000 US citizens will also be able to work and travel in Ireland on the same basis.

In addition to those new arrangements, the existing summer J1 programme will continue to exist as a separate scheme.

Minister Martin emphasised that this initiative is separate to the Government's ongoing campaign to find a solution to the problem of the undocumented.

He said: 'Finding a solution for our undocumented remains a key priority for this Government.'

So its only for college graduates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Kanney wrote: »
    So its only for college graduates?

That is what it sounds like- quite different from the original press release!

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    That is what it sounds like- quite different from the original press release!
    One-year US visa deal for Ireland
    Friday, 19 September 2008 20:05

Up to 20,000 of Irish people may have the opportunity to work in the US for up to a year under a new visa deal.

It is hoped that the J-visa programme will be agreed next week.

Under the programme school leavers, young trades persons, and people intending to return to education may apply for a visa to work in the US for one year.
    Advertisement

A spokeperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs says that the Minister hopes to conclude the deal while in Washington DC on Wednesday.

Thomas C Foley, US Ambassador to Ireland, said that a job opportunity does not have to be arranged before the visa is granted.

He said this is of great convenience to people who want to take advantage of it.

Thats the original release.

EDIT:
    http://www.enews20.com/news_Ireland_US_sign_new_working_holiday_visa_dealEds_Ministers_first_n_11917.html

They are saying its for school leavers. I'm really hoping its for secondary school leavers is the requirements, Im hoping to go to college in Sept and want to go the US before that. If not, they have failed and will have one more undocumented in their country? :D:D

The Working Holiday Agreement will enable a minimum of 20,000 Irish citizens who are in, or have recently completed, post-secondary education to work and travel in the US for up to 12 months.
    '

AS clear as MUD! :confused: I finished college 6 years ago...will this count as 'recent'?? no word on age either?

I've checked a good few sites and it says that it is all about finishing secondary school. Someone on another forum, seems fairly knowledgable, said that you are eligible if you are intent on starting college when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

So you have to be in College or finished it?

ffs other countries got much better deals.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    So you have to be in College or finished it?

ffs other countries got much better deals.

I've seen press releases that don't say u have to be in college. I'm hoping on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

This is just f**king typical, the official press releases causing more confusion than before the information came out. Presumably we'll have to wait until something more concrete surfaces on a government website rather than hazy & innacurate media reports. It just sounds like an extension and expansion on the existing J1 visa (even though they are said to remain seperate) but it doesnt make much sense as the vast majority of people who are in college have yet to become official qualified or accreddited, thus meaning students are due to stay working in resteraunts and the likes for 12 months instead of 3 on the J1.

Maybe that's what they want though, higher-skilled jobs for the Americans, Irish folk to come in and work in construction or serve them beer and food every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/

Top right corner says information on the "expanded J1" programme is coming soon.

Not looking good guys, sounds like it's going to be primarily based around the expectation that people will definetely be coming home to college or the likes. Damn media getting all our hopes up!

OFFICIAL RELEASE

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/general/twelve-month-intern-work-and-travel-pilot-program.html

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
    Office of the Spokesman

Twelve-Month Intern Work and Travel Pilot Program

U.S. Deputy Secretary of State John D. Negroponte and Ireland Foreign Minister Micheál Martin signed a Memorandum of Understanding on an Intern Work and Travel Pilot Program on September 24 in Washington, D.C.

The United States and Ireland soon will begin to implement a Twelve-Month Intern Work and Travel Pilot Program for post-secondary students or young people within twelve months of graduation. The new program is an innovative exchange program that will allow thousands of young people from Ireland to enter the United States for a period of twelve months on a J-1 exchange visitor visa. There also will be reciprocal opportunities for young people from the United States to travel to Ireland. This will allow students from both countries to participate in a variety of internships, and to travel independently within the United States and Ireland.

The program will be coordinated in the United States by the private sector under the auspices of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs, and falls under the Intern Category of the Exchange Visitor Program. In Ireland the bilateral scheme will be run in accordance with existing work permit and immigration legislation. This program is set to be launched in late 2008 or early 2009. Further details and prerequisites on the program will be available from the U.S. Embassy in Dublin and Ireland’s Embassy in Washington, DC.

The people of the United States and Ireland have deep and abiding traditional and historical links. Today’s signing is designed to cultivate further mutual understanding between the people of the United States and Ireland, and to strengthen the connections between young people from our two countries. By enacting this agreement, the United States government hopes to broaden the international internship and travel experience for those who may not otherwise have an opportunity to do so.

Authority for the Exchange Visitor Program derives from the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961, also known as the Fulbright-Hays Act. The Act’s intent is to increase mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and other countries through educational and cultural exchanges.

for post-secondary students or young people within twelve months of graduation.

I take it from that then that if yer 30 years old and graduated from college 6 yrs ago, ye might aswell forget about it...b0llocks to that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

this could be a ploy from the us government to raise funds. They probably see irish students buggeringg off to ozz / asia and spending a couple of grand without a second thought.

post-secondary student, so all u need is a leaving cert?

well im 23

did my leavin six years ago in 2002 and dropped out of college in the first year

been working since and previously lived in the usa on a h2b visa, i am going to wait for the small print until i speculate whether or not i will be eligible but this looks promising.

So where are people thinking of going? I'm hoping Boston if everything works.

So where are people thinking of going? I'm hoping Boston if everything works.

San Fran. I just wish that California would declare independence from the rest of the States! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

well im 23

did my leavin six years ago in 2002 and dropped out of college in the first year

been working since and previously lived in the usa on a h2b visa, i am going to wait for the small print until i speculate whether or not i will be eligible but this looks promising.

How is it promising? Its for people within 12 months of leaving school or graduating as far as I can see...

• Advertisement

To me it seems that its for anyone who finished Leaving Cert, or 12 months from graduating college. Also I'm hearing from different places that they will be fairly flexible.

CiaranC wrote: »
    How is it promising? Its for people within 12 months of leaving school or graduating as far as I can see...

yep, I don't see how anyone can see it as promising if you havn't

A. graduated or will graduate from college within the last/next 12 months

B. Graduated from school within the last 12 months

C. Have just finished a trade apprentiship

by that reckoning there is no way 20,000 visas will be taken up. they still havn't announced an age but I've written this off now. I'm probably still apply and expect to be rejected though. You'd think the w@nkers would release a proper statement on application rules without us all have to 2nd guess them

But it doesnt say 12 months from secondary school, just 12 months from graduation, I think some are nit picking now.
    It says post-secondary, so it could be anytime, relatively. Not saying 35 onwards, but like early 20's I'd say wont have a prob lem.

Reading it again, its obviously for students or recent graduates only.
    The United States and Ireland soon will begin to implement a Twelve-Month Intern Work and Travel Pilot Program for post-secondary students or young people within twelve months of graduation.

A post secondary student is someone currently in post-secondary education. Young people within 12 months of graduation obviously means you can apply up to 12 months after you leave post-secondary education.

So how is this anything new? Is it a longer stay than the J-1? How long can you stay on a J-1?
    There also will be reciprocal opportunities for young people from the United States to travel to Ireland. This will allow students from both countries to participate in a variety of internships, and to travel independently within the United States and Ireland.
    Its for students. End of.

I completed my leaving cert in 2005, I'm confident I'll get it.

Howd you do in English? :P

It says post-secondary, so it could be anytime, relatively.

No, not anytime...it says "within 12 months of graduation"
    The United States and Ireland soon will begin to implement a Twelve-Month Intern Work and Travel Pilot Program for post-secondary students or young people within twelve months of graduation. The new program is an innovative exchange program that will allow thousands of young people from Ireland to enter the United States for a period of twelve months on a J-1 exchange visitor visa.

It's basically an extension of the J-1 (it even says as much) that also allows for secondary school leavers and people just qualified from trades...WITHIN 12 MONTHS...From the statement issued, nothing else can be assumed

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    It's basically an extension of the J-1 (it even says as much) that also allows for secondary school leavers and people just qualified from trades...WITHIN 12 MONTHS...From the statement issued, nothing else can be assumed
    Its a bit ambiguos alright. I read it as applying to current post-secondary students or recent post-secondary graduates only.

Either way someone who has only a leaving cert from 2005 doesnt qualify.

What do ye think if you're applying to start study in sept 09.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I wonder if it would allow a post leaving cert graduate non student to begin an apprenticeship or internship in the US, without being currently involved in one here at home?

Advertisement