Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie

Options
  • 25-01-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Anyone know can you block premium rate calls eg RED 27 , who scammed elderly relation of 120 euro , because she didn’t reply to an unwanted text ... hoping to avoid this scam again on her move to 48.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Premium rate SMS numbers 5xxxx don't work on 48.

In any event, there is no credit to use, unless it's added manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Anyone know can you block premium rate calls eg RED 27 , who scammed elderly relation of 120 euro , because she didn’t reply to an unwanted text ... hoping to avoid this scam again on her move to 48.ie

Since 48 isn’t billpay, you have to put credit into the account before it can charge you for extra calls, so scams like this are unlikely to happen

....so scams like this are unlikely to happen

AFAIK it's not possible at all as the numbers are blocked in both directions on 48.

15xx numbers work but that's the responsibility of the person who uses the phone whereas the likes of RED27 were sending unsolicited SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Premium rate SMS numbers 5xxxx don't work on 48.

In any event, there is no credit to use, unless it's added manually.

Ah I hope not . Relation elderly . She had 7.99 auto renew just set up . While on three late last year she got messages from a crowd called Red 27. She is near 80 and was paying 20 a month. She wouldn’t know how and never subscribed to anything . It took me near two months arguing to get most refund : minus vat , which she lost.
    It worked as she had to text unsubscribe to a text that arrived uninvited and randomly. Advice to elder people is he wary of scams - she didn’t know about it so ignored it. It was disgraceful and three were less than useless . I’m hoping she is not targeted again by these awful people . Comreg are the again useless no teeth . I can’t understand it.

The figure ended up near 200 euro at the end . ... disgrace to treat people especially older like that

It took me near two months arguing to get most refund : minus vat , which she lost.
    There is no reason for them to retain the VAT as that was already paid when the credit was bought. Red just decided to keep 20% for themselves and still made too much profit.

This thread might be of interest...

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989006

Maybe you don't want to reopen the issue but it may still be possible to get the rest of the amount back if you persist. Probably a little more difficult when trying to do the work on someone else's behalf.

This post (from that thread) is relevant...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114854070&postcount=103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Is anyone else having issues with mobile data today?
    Haven't had any since late last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭robie5

same happened me. Kept pressure up and got full refund. I was on 3 at the time and they said i could block all premium calls. I presume you can do the same with 48.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    There is no reason for them to retain the VAT as that was already paid when the credit was bought. Red just decided to keep 20% for themselves and still made too much profit.

This thread might be of interest...

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057989006

Maybe you don't want to reopen the issue but it may still be possible to get the rest of the amount back if you persist. Probably a little more difficult when trying to do the work on someone else's behalf.

This post (from that thread) is relevant...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114854070&postcount=103

Ah thanks but no it’s past now. But I spent days on it . To think comreg is there and non effective is sad. I wound love to know annual salaries paid to staff there compared to the effectiveness of that organisation. Government fault - no teeth

robie5 wrote: »
    same happened me. Kept pressure up and got full refund. I was on 3 at the time and they said i could block all premium calls. I presume you can do the same with 48.

I’ll ask today at 48 Chat. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I got a text message from 48 on 5 Apr saying that they would be taking €7.99 off my CC on 7 April. This is normal happens every month, never a problem.

Got another text message off them this morning 7 April (2.00am)saying that there was a problem and to go to My48 to sort it out.

I tried speaking to their BOT online but couldn't get anywhere. I left a message saying that the problem must be on their end as there was more than enough money in the account and asking them to retry.

Got a message at 10.08 this morning to say that my membership had run out and to get myself a new one. I

Is this just a scam by them to knock the people with the €7.99 lifetime deals off so that they'll be forced to buy more expensive plans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know that there was some kind of banking security update for online subscriptions. I think my mothers payment didn't go through at the time (i'd sent all my revolut money to Redcross campaign for Ukraine!)

I was able to just rebuy the same membership manually at the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Just an update.

I bought an update and they restored my phone service, but not my data.

I "spoke" or rather communicated with their BOT. Might as well have been banging my head off the wall for all the good it done. Spent the next hour or so trying to find a phone or an email address I could contact them to ask them to restore my data. No joy again. Round and round in circles.

I gave up contacted Comreg directly. They gave me an email address for48 and suggested that I email them and inform them that I'm making a formal complaint and that I want a complaint reference number from them. They apparently are obliged to respond to me within 10 days. I did this and have yet to receive an acknowledgement let alone a response. But they have at least now restored my data.

Anyway the email address, for anyone that wants to make a formal complaint that way is complaints@48months.zendesk.com

Obviously dont forget to include your phone no

Hope this helps someone

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

We have 3 x 48 accounts and in Belfast at the weekend none of us could connect to mobile data. So infuriating and I spent time on the chat today with a person who just kept saying that all I needed was to

1) Open 48 SIM MENU App or SIM Toolkit App on your phone settings .

2) Select When abroad (you will see Network Selection)

3) Select Automatic or Manual (First select Automatic and if that doesn't work then select Manual)

4) After Selecting Manual you will see International - roaming profile and local - home profile

5) Select International - roaming profile

Well of course I did all of that and it wouldn't connect. So then I tried the APNs - Access Point Network settings which I had copied onto my phone having had this problem before with them and still didn't work.

No matter what I did they would not connect.

For reference here are the recommended APN settings - from their website

We're all on the 7.99 plan and I reckon they are trying to throw us off them as well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Just passed through the North while travelling to Donegal and the phone lost all network connections and I'm on the 10.99 plan. Was using it for directions too, thankfully GPS carries on working or I'd still be lost somewhere around Omagh! Can't add all the settings given as there's no place to type mms port, mcc, mnc, authentication, or type on my iPhone. I find network availability in Ireland is better on 48 than GoMo but roaming failing to work is a serious nuisance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm currently abroad. Nowhere near Belgium.

The Access Point Names that appear on my phone are now internet.proximus.be for Proximus Internet and event.proximus.be for Proximus MMS.

I tried inputting the settings shown above (in fact, I had already done it before travelling), but as soon as I save them, after inputting proxy, etc, the whole thing disappears.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ETA: I've no data access whatsoever, nor do I seem to be able to connect to any phone network.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Proximus provides roaming services to 48 so that's why their APN settings appear when roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Did you get sorted? Did you try manual network selection and trying 3G/2G.

Off to Paris next week and am dreading this, might buy esim incase but will be contacting 48 to find preferred provider so I can check it immediately

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, I got sorted eventually, but I was on a chat with someone from 48 for over 2 hours. I'll post the steps I had to take later this evening, if I get around it.

They also sent me a couple of text messages, which makes me think they may have done something, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Shane119

Double post.

Post edited by Shane119 on

Hi. Would you mind posting the steps you took to get up and running? I was in Paris last week and Madrid a few months ago and on both times I was left stranded without calls, texts or data. None of the suggestions on 48.ie community worked. I’m on the €7.99 package but I’m seriously considering dumping it for another provider if I can’t use the service abroad.

• Advertisement

My phone is a Xiaomi MiA3, so some of the settings may be slightly different from your own phone, but the general gist is this.

The main things they got me to do were (the parts in italics were taken straight from chat):

1. Change the preferred network type to 3G only Press Settings. Press SIM cards & mobile networks. Press the required SIM. Press Preferred network type. Press the required network mode. I didn't have the "3G" only network type, I had "2G", "3G/2G". and "4G/3G/2G" - I was told to select the second. When it came to choose the network, I tried a few until I got one that worked - it was the one that had defaulted in when the mode was automatic.
    2. Go to the main home screen of your phone. You need to search for 48 SIM Menu/ SIM tool kit App (appears as a stand-alone app within your app menu, usually names 48 SIM menu or very similar and has an image of a SIM card).
    3. Turn wifi off and apply these steps Open 48 SIM MENU App or SIM Toolkit App on your phone Select When abroad (you will see Network Selection) Select Manual After Selecting Manual you will see International - roaming profile and local - home profile Select International - roaming profile
    4. if it doesn't connect at this stage, toggle the airplane mode on/off, check again, then restart the phone if it still doesn't work.
    5. Please keep in mind tha the SIM toolkit app crashed a couple of times during the whole process and I had to restart the phone.
    6. When it restarted, I repeated the steps again: 48 sim menu --> when abroad --> network selection --> manual --> Intl - roaming profile. At this point, I got a prompt (I clicked yes on it earlier but it caused the sim tool kit and othe phone to crash) that reads Managed roaming (sub2). This time, when I clicked yes again, a test message I sent earlier was delivered (not sure if they did something at their end in the interim), then I was suddenly able to make and receive calls, too.

Re: the data, I tried following the instructions for the APNs shown in an earlier post here, and also on their website, but I was having the exact same problem as this person (even though I wasn't in the same country).

The agent told me to:

1. Go to settings >> Mobile network >> Access Point Names (APN)
    2. I got: ": "Access points names are not available for this user" - I had started getting that after deleting the default "proximus.be" parameters and after I had tried unsuccessfully to add the 48 parameters shown on the website.
    3. The agent asked me if I was able to add the APN manually. I told her I was, but that I could get as far as adding port 8080 and saving; however, after changing the default of the next field to 207, the whole thing would get deleted and I would get that error.
    4. I was told to "reset to default the APN" (there's a button). internet.proximus.be appeared.
    5. Delete the entire internet.proximus.be. APN. Make APN blank. Then add a new APN with the below 2 lines and save it - Name - 48 Internet APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com (all the rest was left as it was, no other field was added or edited).
    6. Once the details have been added, save the settings and make sure that the mobile data and data roaming is turned ON and WIFI is turned OFF.

At this point, I switched airplane mode on and off, and also rebooted the phone for good measure. After all this, the data was activated.

It took me about two hours to get everything up and running.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

^^^^ Two hours holy crap. I spent 1.5 hours on their chat when abroad in Portugal hoping to get it to work and it never did. Will screenshot the above instructions and get working on it when Im on the flight.

edit- just looking at their forum now and it seems lots of people are still having these roaming problems with 48. I'll give it an hour at the airport when I land and if I cant get it working will just buy a local sim as I need data for google maps to get to accomodation and get around Paris

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Can't recommend enough bringing a prepay Vodafone SIM with you, especially if you have a dual-SIM phone, as a fallback. €5 for 5GB data should tide most over on a short trip to the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

actually think thats what I'll do as I have a couple of trips coming up and could really do without the stress of trying to get 48 to work Its pretty frustrating as theyve known about this problem for over a year now and it still isnt sorted out. The cynic in me thinks they are doing it deliberately to save on roaming fees

Thanks for taking the time to post all this. Tbh, it just confirms in my mind to switch providers. There’s no reason in the world why it should be this much trouble to use the service abroad especially in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

This issue with roaming has been around for over a decade as Tesco mobile had the same issue, they use the same roaming profile Proximus and it was always very hit and miss for customers, same apn as 48.ie as well for home data 'liffeytelecom'!

The two hours were spent in between trying to get an agent to answer the chat, wasting time with the bot, explaining the problem to a first agent, him getting so far with the process only to see the page with the chat crash completely.... so I had to restart the whole thing again, explaining to the second agent what I'd already done (she couldn't transfer me to the first agent to complete the process, which was a pain), then waiting for the phone to react to the changes I was making, rebooting it, switching airplane mode on and off, etc. To be honest, the actual steps are quite straight forward and not too time consuming in themselves. Having said all that, I don't know if they were also making changes at their end, as they also sent me test text messages a few times to see would I get them.

So, my suggestion - try the steps I mentioned, if they don't work use the chat facility but be sure to mention to them all the steps you've already taken to save yourself some time.

But it shouldn’t have to be this way. Why isn’t it seamless?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

a family member in England atm can't make/receive calls or texts, thankfully her colleague is with VF

• Advertisement

England is not in the EU, that could be an issue.

Advertisement