Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Install a toilet in an existing garden office

• 24-01-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm planning to install a toilet in an existing garden office using an existing septic tank. Would it need planning permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cortter

I put up a whole extension for an office
    In the back garden When the council came round I said it was existing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The question you realistically need to ask yourself is this: is what you are doing incidental to the enjoyment of your home?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'm planning to install a toilet in an existing garden office using an existing septic tank. Would it need planning permission?

Is there planning permision on the existing office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Toilet no problem and a sink if you like. But not a kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 backlanepipe

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Is there planning permision on the existing office?

The office is less than 25 square meters and is exempt from planning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I would suggest you can put anything in, without planning permission, as long as the use of the structure remains incidental to the enjoyment of the house/is not for habitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭CoBo55

There's you answer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cortter wrote: »
    I put up a whole extension for an office
    In the back garden When the council came round I said it was existing

Of course it was existing, it was there and in place. Your allowed build offices in rear gardens. There are exemptions for it.
    The question you realistically need to ask yourself is this: is what you are doing incidental to the enjoyment of your home?!

Home Office falls under the same class as garage, shed, store etc So completely legal.
    Car99 wrote: »
    Toilet no problem and a sink if you like. But not a kitchen.

Kitchen is fine. There's nothing in the regs that prohibit a kitchen. Many people use these garden rooms for home baking, cakes etc

Its the size of the structure and use of the structure that can fall foul of the Regs.

Sorted then.
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    I would suggest you can put anything in, without planning permission, as long as the use of the structure remains incidental to the enjoyment of the house/is not for habitation.

^^^^This^^^^
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's you answer.

^^^^Also this^^^^

Advertisement