Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wrapping and New windows

Options
  • 21-01-2021 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

We bought a 3 bed semi about 2 years and the house is very cold, the back of the house where the kitchen is located is particularly bad. We know that we cannot get the walls pumped but are thinking of wrapping the house and getting new windows in the whole house. It is currently D rated.

I have contacted a few companies but due to Level 5 lockdown no-one can call out. I have also contacted An Post GreenHub but they are not doing call outs yet either. Has anyone both wrapped the house and gotten new windows at the same time. Which needs to be done first? We know we can get a grant for the external wrapping. Has anyone got any recommendations on where we should start to look and companies they recommend? We are based in West Dublin. We are due a baby in late summer so ideally this all needs to be completed by the time of the new arrival!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

do both together, hang the new windows on the outside face of the wall before the wrap goes on.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

As above, you do both together.
    However, are you sure this will solve your problem ... what's your airtightness like?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

MicktheMan wrote: »
    As above, you do both together.
    However, are you sure this will solve your problem ... what's your airtightness like?
    Thank you for the reply, I don’t know what the air tightness is like how would we get that evaluated? We know it will solve a lot of the problem as there is absolutely no insulation between the plaster and outside block which is why the house is so cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

You can test for it.
    Is the space draughty at all?

Advertisement