Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost social security number from US please help!!

Options
  • 04-10-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I am hoping someone can please help me. I lived in the US on a J1 visa for a year about 6 years ago. I have been offered a new job but I cannot start until I get police clearance from the US which requires the last four digits of my social security number. For the life of my I cannot find the card anywhere or any old pay slips etc! I know I had it a few years ago but have no idea where it is now. I sent a letter a month ago to have this replaced but that will take another month or so to come back and that's even before I can apply for the police clearance! The new job needs someone to start work soon so I'm terrified they will not take me on now as I've nothing signed with them as it's all based on my clearances. I am not a US and I am living in Ireland. Hoping I've have some options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Contact your old job. They may have it on file. They may not give it to you over the phone, for data protection reasons, but it can't hurt to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Sublu wrote: »
    Hoping I've have some options

Have you tried the US embassy in Dublin. My wife is American and she goes there to change her social security info. A new card normally only takes a couple of weeks. If you bring id someone at the embassy might make a phone call and get the number for you.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HDMI wrote: »
    Have you tried the US embassy in Dublin. My wife is American and she goes there to change her social security info. A new card normally only takes a couple of weeks. If you bring id someone at the embassy might make a phone call and get the number for you.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/
    From the above link;
    Effective August 1, 2014 the Social Security Administration stopped providing Social Security Number printouts or verifications. The Federal Benefits Unit is unable to provide you with a printout or verification of an SSN.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or legal Permanent Resident Alien (“Green Card” holder) and you need to verify the details shown on your Social Security Number record, you must apply directly to the Social Security Administration for a printout of your Social Security Number record (known as a Numident). These applications can take up to 60 days or more to process and are processed on a first come basis regardless of the mailing method used.

Send a written request to verify the details held in your Numident, with the following information: your name, date of birth, parents’ names, the citizenship or legal resident status you held when your Social Security Number was assigned, and the date your citizenship or legal resident status changed. Send your request to:

Social Security Administration
    OEO DERO (FOIA Workgroup)
    PO Box 33022
    Baltimore MD 21290-3022

If you wish to use Express Mail/Courier, send your request to:

Social Security Administration
    OEO DERO (FOIA Workgroup)
    300 N. Greene Street
    Baltimore MD 21290-0300

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sublu

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Contact your old job. They may have it on file. They may not give it to you over the phone, for data protection reasons, but it can't hurt to ask.

Hi thanks for your reply, I've tried that. No one I used to work with works there now and seemed very suspicious of me asking 😕 so their not being helpful! I'll keep trying tho thanks.

the_syco wrote: »
    From the above link;

Hi thanks for your reply, I have the letter sent and all, I'm just paranoid it's not bring processed as haven't heard anything and have no idea if they are doing this as there's no number just an address. Wish it didn't take so long! Thanks for getting back to me!

• Advertisement

HDMI wrote: »
    Have you tried the US embassy in Dublin. My wife is American and she goes there to change her social security info. A new card normally only takes a couple of weeks. If you bring id someone at the embassy might make a phone call and get the

Hi thanks for your reply, I have been onto them seems my only option was to write that letter, which I've done but could take ages!thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sublu wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply, I've tried that. No one I used to work with works there now and seemed very suspicious of me asking �� so their not being helpful! I'll keep trying tho thanks.

I don't blame them for being suspicious. It's is good that they are, as identity theft crime( based around stolen social security numbers) is a real problem in the US. If someone rang me at my old job in the States and asked me to give them their SSN over the phone, I probably wouldn't do it either, unless they could provide some proof that they are who they say you are. What about offering to fax them a photo copy of your Irish drivers license, or student ID card, or something like that? If they were more secure in knowing that you are who you say you are & that it is a legit enquiry, they may be more willing to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Country Girl 1

Hello

I know this post is old but I am currently applying for a post in the HSE and they need overseas clearance from me and I lived in the U.S.A
    18 years ago, could you tell me how I would go about doing this ? What address do I put on the application form ? My current adress in Ireland or my last address in U.S.A ?

Advertisement