Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback US Forum?

Options
  • 30-08-2018 9:35pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas on how to improve our United States forum? Or how to create more new threads, posts, and views? Post your ideas, comments, and discussions here. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Is there a way we can stop the same threads being started over and over again, that get the same answers?

e.g.
    • I want to move to America how easy is it to move there and get a job?
    • I'm going to New York, where should I stay? what should I do?
    • I'm going to Las Vegas, where should I stay? what should I do?
    • I'm going on a J1, where should i stay? How do i get a job?

It seems like 90% of the threads in the forum have been repeated and answered constantly. Maybe we could sticky these topics or something? The people who start these threads, stay for the thread and then leave never to come back again. It seems to kill the forum as a community as i check the forum regularly but there is rarely anything worth reading or discussing as a person who lives in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

That's a very fair point imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Hazys wrote: »
    Is there a way we can stop the same threads being started over and over again, that get the same answers?

e.g.
    • I want to move to America how easy is it to move there and get a job?
    • I'm going to New York, where should I stay? what should I do?
    • I'm going to Las Vegas, where should I stay? what should I do?
    • I'm going on a J1, where should i stay? How do i get a job?

It seems like 90% of the threads in the forum have been repeated and answered constantly. Maybe we could sticky these topics or something? The people who start these threads, stay for the thread and then leave never to come back again. It seems to kill the forum as a community as i check the forum regularly but there is rarely anything worth reading or discussing as a person who lives in the US.

Good idea

Could we also add to that list of sticky threads:

• Preclearance Dublin FAQ, or any other Airports where preclearance is completed
    • General travel tips for travelling to US i.e. ESTA details, Travel SIM card options, Car rental details (details of insurance cover required etc.)
    • General US airport details for flight transfers and estimate travel times to/from main travel hub airports: NYC, CHC, LA, LV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Could we also add to that list of sticky threads:
    Sticky problem. Admin and HQ wants 3 or less. Per forum. We already have 4. Something about mobile page viewing? I'm uncertain why. I could ask. If you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The USA section of the travel forum specifically tells people to post in the United States forum, so you get all those drive-by posters who can't be bothered to google/look on TripAdvisor/etc for inspiration for their one-and-only long weekend in the States. I went looking for "anything but travel" info last year prior to an extended tour, and gave up on the site after three pages of that kind of stuff, which does actually belong in the Travel forum (imo).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Fathom wrote: »
    Sticky problem. Admin and HQ wants 3 or less. Per forum. We already have 4. Something about mobile page viewing? I'm uncertain why. I could ask. If you wish.
    They simply do not appear. Besides having a sticky is no guarantee that the same old drive-by threads will cease coming and going. There will always be users who don't use search and other tools and they do need to be catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

What's the point of this? Moving a thread where the question has already been answered and is also almost a month old?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057986047

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why not get rid of the J1 sticky? No one has posted in it for 5 years.

Then replace it with a 'So you want to move to America' thread...

Might cut down on all 'I have a dream..' threads that usually lead no where and it's just a repition of the same old stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Good comments. Have to balance them with Admin. They're reviewing forums. Numbers of OPs, posts, and views. May determine if we exist.

Advertisement