Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats great about the scene ?

Options
  • 17-05-2003 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Just for this once folks lets say something great about the scene and gay life in general.

So whats great about the scene ? What makes it fun for you ?

Describe your best night out (without going into too much graphic detail )

What makes it better than a straight night out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by yellum:

So whats great about the scene ? What makes it fun for you ?

Maybe the fact that other gay men go there? :rolleyes:

I don't feel compelled to say something 'great' just because there's been a lot of negativity recently (supposedly). Like many things in life, the gay scene is what you make of it. For a lot of people it's a great opportunity to be themselves and let their inhibitions about displaying affection in public places recede somewhat. Many people also find gay places more friendly and relaxing, and to an extent I would agree with this - try walking into some places holding hands with your same sex partner, and you won't be walking for very long.

On the other hand some people find the scene to be too sex-orientated, and hence can be somewhat seedy. Although I tend to avoid these elements, it is true that a lot of men go out to gay bars/clubs just to hook up with someone, and this lends to the general perception of promiscuity in gay establishments.

What invariably determines how good the scene with is the company that you keep. Meeting someone that you like and can relate to (on whatever level you choose) is an added bonus, that you would not likely get in a straight bar/club.

I've had some pretty great nights out, but tbh, most of them haven't been in gay places. I would still usually rather go out to a gay nightclub than a straight one though :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

i remember the first time i walked into a gay bar in cork, oh god i was so nervous. but it was cool. ppl were friendly and very easy to talk too.
    i was terrffied in case i would see someone in there i knew or they would see me. it was a good night and it brought me out of my shell alot. im glad i went in and the people i met are some of my closest friends now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by swiss
    What invariably determines how good the scene with is the company that you keep

Have to agree - but on the other hand, I've had some great nights out in gay pubs/clubs - not because they were gay places, but because of the people that I was with.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with Swiss on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gargamel

I don't think I'll have my best night out 'ever' in Ireland, and nothing against it but the buzz in Ireland is very substance dependent (It's just my opinion, it's always up in my face wherever I go as you can see below) but, having said that my best night out was pretty recently and it was a combination of a lot of things, the scene with all of its good and bad points made the night possible. What made it enjoyable for me was the atmosphere throughout my (52hr) night out, the people who I like and I've kept bumping into for nearly three solid years all happened to be in the same building on the same night which was just cool (where else would you get that ? 'cheers' is so gone) there's parties afterwards with a pretty consistent core group of people, there's a much more tangible sense of togetherness, or at least the potential for it in a gay environment. We're from all walks, but it's not to be underestimated how much shared experience gay ppl have. I went to three parties on the night I'm thinking of, and they all had a different dynamic. One was loud with loads of drink, another was weird with a bad vibe and too many people drunk and messed up on pills, and the last was a party with very little drink and a lot of drugs that were (if there is such a thing;)) responsibly taken. To be honest I preffered the pillheads, they'd cuddle and sop all over ye but they'd never be bothered coming on to you. The people circulating at these parties reappeared from one to another and day and night sort of lost all meaning, I s**t talked, ate nothing, didn't sleep, and I totally lost a weekend, but it was such a cool break. The whole vibe of the weekend left me feeling like I had jumped (unscathed and happy enough to be there though) into something written by Hubert Selby Jr. (Last Exit to Brooklyn), or John Rechy (City of Night), but without all that bad isolation stuff because I live really centrally anyway and I was never more than a ten minute cab ride home, and my boy was always at the other end of the phone :) so there you go, a good (52hr) night out, but there'll be better nights. The scene always has people coming in and out keeping it fresh, it's got a more stable core to it though, and I think you have a great time if you can strike a balance between being taking people as they are, while being selective with who you keep around :) Anyway, enough waffle from me, I should really get some kip

Advertisement