Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Homosexual men should hide their disgusting acts"

• 13-05-2003 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭

What do you tjink of this article from the Oregon Daily Emerald?

http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/05/09/3ebbd279c91a9
    "Homosexual men should hide their disgusting acts"
    Guest commentary

May 09, 2003

Being a conservative on this campus is a difficult chore. Attending classes where liberal ideology is practically forced down your throat -- while any attempt at voicing a conservative opinion is oppressed at all costs -- is quite the task. Then you have individuals such as sociology instructor Chuck Hunt who stretch the truth beyond belief, and it's sad to see impressionable college students soak up this leftist propaganda.

Before coming to Eugene, I was fully aware that this university was a liberal campus, but I'm a fairly tolerant guy and figured I'd be able to put up with the various environmental, pro-choice, forced diversity, hatred of anything remotely associated with America causes that were sure to be presented as part of our supposed "balanced education." However, there is one prominent issue on this campus that simply drives me nuts.

On more than one occasion I've been walking to class and have been subjected to an absolutely disturbing display of two homosexual men making out. To me, witnessing this is offensive, and I fail to understand how anyone can openly be proud of such a lifestyle. I do not base my position on any sort of religious belief, but I do obtain a sense of moral decency that provides me with the knowledge that homosexual behavior is wrong.

I've had people argue with me on this topic, saying that I'm narrow-minded and should somehow be more accepting with my views, but who has any right to tell me, or anyone for that matter, what should or should not be accepted in society. I apologize to any of you liberals out there who are shocked to hear that there are indeed individuals such as myself who harbor such views, but you do not necessarily always have to believe such things simply because it is politically correct to do so.

I'll admit I'm uncompromising when it comes to this issue, but I am not one of those people who thinks I have some sort of authority to preach about what is right and wrong, and to make things clear -- I do not flat out hate gay individuals. I do, however, openly oppose the gay community as a whole, and I am not afraid to say it.

Despite its existence throughout history, I believe that homosexuality is a disgrace to society and just because it has existed for a long time does not make it right. I long for the days when homosexuality was viewed by society as an illness, and gays opted to remain in the closet.

Today, it seems like there's a gay pride parade every other day, and all of a sudden gay individuals are actually proud of their queer lifestyle, which by definition is strange and odd.

Now, I know some of you would like to label me as a homophobe, but I personally am completely comfortable with my sexuality and understand the correctness in preferring the opposite sex.

Look, I have no problem with gay individuals, as long as they stay in the closet and refrain from using the idea of political correctness as a ploy to tell me that I should be more accepting of a lifestyle in which I find absolutely disgusting.

Vincent Martorano is a freshman political science major.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I don't feel comfortable getting stuck in to my girlfriend in public it ought be private behaviour whatever your persuasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    What do you tjink of this article from the Oregon Daily Emerald?

http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/05/09/3ebbd279c91a9

TBH I think it's just a load of h*rse manure. People like this make known their opinions solely because they like the sound of their own voices :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

the correctness in preferring the opposite sex.

after reading that i have to say that i laughed out loud.

i do think that be you straight or gay that you should keep public displays of affection to a minimum, but in saying that i personally wouldnt have any problem with two guys making out on campus. it should be the same for straight couples aswell as gay ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I was always saying those exact words to my flatmate... as he cavorted with his boyfriend. Thankfully I was joking and he didn't care anyway so it was all good.

I love the guy in the piece saying he's 'tolerant' when clearly he's as tolerant as a kkk member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Remember that tv show that RTE had last year where they had people doing Taboo stuff in public so they could film peoples reactions.

They had a bloke sit down in the Croisanterie (?) in Stephens Green Centre and just start singing out loud.

Another one was they had two gay blokes sit down on a bench and start canoodling, they sat down beside various people. One was an auld one, a little boy and others.

The auld one just turns around looked at them did a double take stood up and walked off. The boy stared at them for a while and then his mother came over a pulled him away. It was funny as fúck.

They had another guy sit down in the Butlers Chocalates Cafe off Grafton street and just start laughing away to himself out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by solice

i do think that be you straight or gay that you should keep public displays of affection to a minimum,

I like showing my affection for my bf, I really don't care where. We're not going to hump in public but surely kissing and cuddling isn't upsetting to people ?

is it harming anybody, no. but you have to admit that there is a time and a place and the middle of a street is not really one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

affection is one thing, natural and beautiful, but u shouldn't let it get to the stage where one or the two of you is aroused cos its indecent. so to summise ;) kissing cuddling kool, dry humping and fondling not so.

the article says "making out" his feelings on the matter are prob exaggerating what he's talking about

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

straight or gay there is a place for decorum.

Obviously however, God (the one true God, of course) put this planet here JUST FOR HIM!

All possible compromise (like... um... not looking at the offending people) is obviously unfair since ITS HIS PLANET.

Also, I tend to view people who say "I'm as tolerant as the next person" with some suspicion... why do they feel the need to reinforce it, if there wasnt a deep seated feeling that he's NOT being tolerant (which, clearly, he isnt).

Its like the Monty Python sketch with the army major saying "Now, I like a good laugh as much as the next man... well, as much as most men, except ..... etc etc etc".

I kinda mentally picture him thus (though its very unfair on W.Wilson).

wilson_w.jpg

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ballooba
    Another one was they had two gay blokes sit down on a bench and start canoodling, .... a little boy .... The boy stared at them for a while and then his mother came over a pulled him away. It was funny as fúck.
    This sounds a little inappropriate (whatever the composition of the couple), deliberately doing it to obtain a reaction from a child (especially since the item was being done on a commercial basis). As DeV says a little decorum please.

Hey call us all repressed Catholics, but we are uncomfortable with public displays of affection more than hand holding or simple hugs or simple kissing (says the guy who got his first snog in the middle of Patrick's Street, Cork :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Well in reference to that article -opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one :D

Well in reference to that article -opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one

but that is what makes this country and boards a really good place, is that ppl are becoming more tolerant of other views and opinions. ppl are expressing themselves more and more.

should we condem someone cos they think differently to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

He condradicts himself in his argument stating rightly "but who has any right to tell me, or anyone for that matter, what should or should not be accepted in society." Perhaps he's a closet liberal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I was in a club in kilkenny a couple of weeks ago, sober, (hey there's a first time for everything ;)) I was delighted cause i seen i'm not the only gay person in kilkenny however when i seen how gay couples must act in a "straight club" it upset and angered me :/

Ironically i hear Rome is very open! talking to a chap said he was there with his partner, holding hands n kissing whilst walking down a public street, not a bother!

/me books a flight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think the best response would be:
    We are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it.

Advertisement