Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lynx, not for gay ppl.

• 07-05-2003 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭

Sweat attracts other men. Is that what you want?

OK, so now it's confirmed that Lynx is a straight smell (ok, so the (sometimes funny) ads make that pretty obvious) but I think this implies that it is not ok for men to be attracted to men, and found it somewhat offensive :(

Don't use the stuff whatwith the chemical burns it seems to give me :mad: but I Sure(heheh) wouldn't use it now!

So,
    1) What are other ppls thoughts on the ad,
    2) Are there actually smelly products aimed towards people of gaiety?

(Actually, one of the funny ads atm is the Crunch Corner one. The girl is in the hotel room, the bloke locked out calls 'Hot Lips' to which a guy passing by looks at him with a sparkle in his eye. rofl.)

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ahh would you get a life.

Its

A

Joke.

Humour, you know ? Stop taking things so seriously.

If you do think the world and Lynx is against you contact www.equality.ie or the Advertising standards Authority

Lynx and their mothercompany who makes Impulse I think had gay friendly ads too you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

I chopped a lot off my rant. In doing so I omitted:
    Sweaty = attractive to men = not what you'd want...
    If it was meant to be a pisstake it showed no hints of that.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Well, WOULD you sleep with a bloke wearing a fragrance as fundamentally unpleasant as any of the Lynx variants? :)

The wording just hit me as odd. That's all. I wanted to know what other peeps thoughts were.

Yeah, I do read a lot into most things.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Shinji
    Well, WOULD you sleep with a bloke wearing a fragrance as fundamentally unpleasant as any of the Lynx variants? :)

Now that is the question ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'm agreeing with Mercury Tilt (Jesus I feel odd about that )

Maybe you should try and balance yourself by filling in the chip on your shoulder.

You are doing a disservice to the gay population by shouting discrimination without checking your facts.

Shut up oneweb.

Seems they've re-worded it a lot better (is that all you want) :D Now that's funny :)

OK, now I regret saying anything about the ad at all.

Chip polyfillad.

I take it all back. Sorry Lynx.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Their deoderants still fucking well stink though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

I thought you would have liked "scent of a 13 year old" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

oh u big gurls knickers :)

its a funny add :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I've been told (several times) that girls favourite is Lynx Africa...

Hmm, not sure what relevance that has to you guys :)

Anyways hope to see some of you at the boards beer! All are welcome!

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hmmm... I think some Lynx smeeeeels nice.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I read this thread yesterday and couldn't remember the add, having seen it lastnight I think you're looking way too much into it. Lynx are perfectly entitled to advertise to their target market(underage hetero males) unless their actually discrimanting against gay people or serving to distance the different leanings then they may continue to do so.

Crying wolf like this at small things like this weakens a more important argument should one arise, and to be fair this is a predominantly heterosexual world, and whilst i believe in live and let live, is it not some what like demanding to drink in a muslim nation if you want everything to be gender and orientation neutral. Or am I way out of line?

And most importantly i reckon women like a slightly male odour nyway(pherenomes and all that), does that carry across?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

I agree with uberwolf to a certain extent. Even if it is discriminatory to gays or anyone, so what. The most recent obvious example is the latest Yorkie ad campaigns (not for women and all that stuff)thats obviously discriminating. This isn't even that obvious. The only thing that I took issue with is the fact that it's actually factually wrong. Sweat does attract other women as uberwolf stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gargamel

The ad is really naff though. Lynx is really naff. Men smelling of BO is foul and I think everyone will agree when I say it doesn't attract other men, at least not if they're bent (that's not homophobic! how dare you ;) ) If we took a marketing campaigns statements as truths we'd be very silly altogether, any customer of 'Lynx' who watches that ad and feels validated and pleased by a homophobic undertone probably needs to have a long think about why he's that uncomfortable about attraction to other men, leg it around to the Spar and nick his first copy of 'For Women,' and a can of 'Sure.'

It's a recruitment tool lads! Don't get annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

The wording of the ad said "men's sweat only attracts other men, is that all you want?". Can't see any discriminatory in it. Didn't say attracting men was a bad thing, just that some men would like to attract women as well.
    It's a good ad, leave it alone.

FFS, do people not read all of a thread before replying? :mad: I've taken it all back since.

I've since seen the ad many times and was admittedly too quick to pin it on the tagline. I was cranky and tired at the time and it was actually the scientific inaccuracy of the ad that pissed me off (pheromones attract the opposite sex) And no-one cares about ads being technically incorrect (happens all the time :rolleyes:)

That's it.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Locking thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement