Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peat Briquette RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Das Reich wrote: »
    Southernmost point in Canada is 41,7° degree N but nearly all the country is North than 49°. A country like that can't so different climates despite having a large area. Chile have only 1/13 of Canada's area but 4.270 km from north to south, so if a degree of latitude is 111 km it equals to more than 38° of difference between its northernmost point at 17,5° to the southernmost point at 56,5° degrees. This is a country with different climates, not Canada.

Latitude surely isnt the only consideration, Ive never been, but Id hardly have thought of Canada as country of one climate zone?

Im going with altitude, distance from coast and pictures Ive seen of the place, looks to have a variety of climates to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭CoBo55

1874 wrote: »
    Well, Id say its about producing our power and heat needs with the least environmental impact and doing so the most efficiently, I dont really like using buzz words or terminology, but the "low hanging fruit" is the end use has to be the least amount possible for each user, so efficiency has to be high, the best way to do this is external wall insulation and airtightness, MVHR, and even heat pumps because they can reduce the cost or depending on how you look at it increase the heat output 3-4 fold if set up and run correctly, basically needs insualtion and airtightness done correctly imo.

The greens arent only disliked in rural areas, in urban areas by anyone that isnt in their circle, so wealthy enough to go along with them, the end goal is right, but the implementation is ridiculous imo as it has to be feasible and more carrot than stick. That said, went on a holiday to Sligo once, lovely area near the coast, it was summertime, later on the first evening, noticed bonfires lighting up, all over the place, nearest ones could clearly see it was plastic at least was being burned, not through peoples chimneys, I blame the State for defunding waste collection and for poor implementation and not realising people will take the cheapest option, but individuals still have to do the right thing too, can oly imagine what any foreign tourists were thinking of how we treat our countryside, I was horrified.

Well they dont produce it, only cut it, I can imagine that will go the way of the Do-do, we either stop cutting it, or it will eventually run out, maybe its possible to restore or help them and they can serve as a wildlife preserve, maybe we can even restore them/help capture Co2 by growing appropriate native plants/trees. I have one idea that might be too horrific to mention on how to restore them, but obviously these things need to be calculated and tested by environmental engineers.

Not 100% certain, might be because they haven't put the money into their grid and generation and didnt adopt measure to reduce their usage/increase their efficiency at the end user, possibly because they have deregulated/privatised the whole grid/supply. I beleive they have and utilise a huge wind resource and have been doing so back since? the late 70s, maybe the early 80s, its likely those wind generators have been replaced many times, but they arent 100% garaunteed to produce when there is demand, solar PV would seem to be a huge resource, but that is a massive urban area, they will need to meet a certain base load, which they must not be capable of at peak demand.

Insulation/airtightness, that would reduce the influence of high heat on living spaces.

Wow!! That has to get some kind of tome award, something like the longest wedding speech....

NcdJd wrote: »
    When you factor in roadways the footprint can be quite big. The bog in my view is basically destroyed. I think if it was done right and genuinely was about saving what bog habitat we have left, there would be nothing allowed on them. We have a once opertunity to get this right but when you have a company that is only looking what other commercial opertunities they can get out of this my fear is that the environmental end of things will take the back seat unless there is something they can generate positive publicity with.

Sphagnum moss is what is used plant wise to restore a bog as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure about other plant materials.

Id say thats the best option, to restore, Ive read sphagnum moss is what grows on the bog, I thought that was the top layer? but my understanding was it is layers of dead/rotted material, compressed over time. I just checked and found a pdf of bog restoration, would take a bit to read through, I thought the layers would have to built up and I wondered if it could be helped and the optimum conditions artificially helped.

Again, dont know if the landscape has an optimal wind resource, if windturbines could be located close to existing roadways and have them nearer and fewer, Id dislike to think it all just got transformed into a money making exercise, or worse a failed money making exercise that then blights the landscape doubly. Depends if BnM have the right attitude to it, maybe the staff need to be re/upskilled and moved to a different organisation with a different mandate.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Wow!! That has to get some kind of tome award, something like the longest wedding speech....

thanks for your input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Id say thats the best option, to restore, Ive read sphagnum moss is what grows on the bog, I thought that was the top layer? but my understanding was it is layers of dead/rotted material, compressed over time. I just checked and found a pdf of bog restoration, would take a bit to read through, I thought the layers would have to built up and I wondered if it could be helped and the optimum conditions artificially helped.

Again, dont know if the landscape has an optimal wind resource, if windturbines could be located close to existing roadways and have them nearer and fewer, Id dislike to think it all just got transformed into a money making exercise, or worse a failed money making exercise that then blights the landscape doubly. Depends if BnM have the right attitude to it, maybe the staff need to be re/upskilled and moved to a different organisation with a different mandate.

Interesting times ahead but the cynic in me is telling me to see how this pans on the actual amount of bog being restored.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

theguzman wrote: »
    An entire industry destroyed and closed down by the far-Left Green party, the same as our Sugar industry destroyed under German demands, our sugar now comes from Germany using sugar cane grown on destroyed Amazon rainforest. But jeez lets all put in heatpumps and pay €2.5k a year in electricity coming at the long end of a gas pipeline from Russia.

So full of it. We destroyed a finite natural resource over the course of several centuries at an exponentially increasing rate and now we've reached the end point. We cannot sustain that and we have damaged our environment in harvesting it at the level we have. It can't continue and even if we went on doing it, it would run out in the very near future - and then where would that industry be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

wiggle16 wrote: »
    So full of it. We destroyed a finite natural resource over the course of several centuries at an exponentially increasing rate and now we've reached the end point. We cannot sustain that and we have damaged our environment in harvesting it at the level we have. It can't continue and even if we went on doing it, it would run out in the very near future - and then where would that industry be?

Guzman has a point though and there is a human element to be considered in this. Whole communities were tied into peat harvesting and the ancillary services that was generated by this activity. It's not a nice position to be in where your livelihood is written off at the stroke of a pen.

Let's hope these people are looked after and communities given support and new opertunities in all of this. There is a wealth of information and expertise there in this workforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Every worker should have been retained and the two very modern plants kept open, they could have transitioned into biomass to feed the plants if they were any way interested. They coould burn straw and other sustainable green fuels. Fast growing GMO Eucalyptus could be grown with a 6-7 year rotation.

These bureaucrats from their ivory towers in Dublin 4 don't give a damn, however as a result we are one deep easterly period of sustained low pressure with subzero temperatures away from rolling blackouts as a result of the decimation of Peat powered Electricity. And with Peat fired fuel gone we should be seeing the PSO charge on our electric bills disappear? like hell we will. I hope when the blackouts come that South Dublin is the first disconnected from the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Southernmost point in Canada is 41,7° degree N but nearly all the country is North than 49°. A country like that can't have so different climates despite having a large area. Chile have only 1/13 of Canada's area but 4.270 km from north to south, so if a degree of latitude is 111 km it equals to more than 38° of difference between its northernmost point at 17,5° to the southernmost point at 56,5° degrees. This is a country with different climates, not Canada.

Is north to south the only indicator of weather change ?
    Vancouver and Winnipeg wound not have very different latitudes but Vancouver is known to be the mildest and most temperate Canadian city and Winnipeg has massive swings from cold to hot in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Every worker should have been retained and the two very modern plants kept open, they could have transitioned into biomass to feed the plants if they were any way interested. They coould burn straw and other sustainable green fuels. Fast growing GMO Eucalyptus could be grown with a 6-7 year rotation.

These bureaucrats from their ivory towers in Dublin 4 don't give a damn, however as a result we are one deep easterly period of sustained low pressure with subzero temperatures away from rolling blackouts as a result of the decimation of Peat powered Electricity. And with Peat fired fuel gone we should be seeing the PSO charge on our electric bills disappear? like hell we will. I hope when the blackouts come that South Dublin is the first disconnected from the grid.

Where is the biomass coming from?

🙈🙉🙊

I can't tell if this is satire or not so I'm gonna go with not to be safe.

The government that got the ball rolling on this was full of politicians from outside Dublin some of them were even from rural areas.
    I don't know what bureaucrats have to do with it to be honest except to fuel conspiracy theory and I could be wrong but would straw power a plant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bruce Springsteen has finally got his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I'll miss Peat.
    He was a real funny guy.
    Last time I saw him he was on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Bruce Springsteen has finally got his way.

Don't you mean Spruce?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They cost €5.20 , you'll get a small bag of coal for €7.50-8.00, 40kg bag for €15, wouldnt consider them value for money any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought gusman was proposing that the GMO Eucalypt would be grown on the bog and that in 6-7 years they'd have fuel to restart the stations?

josip wrote: »
    I thought gusman was proposing that the GMO Eucalypt would be grown on the bog and that in 6-7 years they'd have fuel to restart the stations?

Cant see the Greens signing off on anything GMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Got out two stoves to replace my open fires last year and they have drastically cut down on fuel .. a couple bales of briquettes a week to just start the fires really. After that it’s logs or coal .. one small load of stove coal nearly enough to keep fire going for the night.
    House built in year 2000 and we priced a pump system and it was crazy money and a lot of work .
    House isn’t particularly cold or drafty so heat pump definitely out of the picture for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Can't see the midlands being suitable for wind turbines. Not enough wind.

saabsaab wrote: »

Dont think those involved are too worried whether the wind blows or not, chasing subsidies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Eucalyptus trees set fire to half of Portugal recently. Absolutely awful idea having those things here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Cant see the Greens signing off on anything GMO

Policy driven by ideological purity, what can go wrong?

harr wrote: »
    Got out two stoves to replace my open fires last year and they have drastically cut down on fuel .. a couple bales of briquettes a week to just start the fires really. After that it’s logs or coal .. one small load of stove coal nearly enough to keep fire going for the night.
    House built in year 2000 and we priced a pump system and it was crazy money and a lot of work .
    House isn’t particularly cold or drafty so heat pump definitely out of the picture for now.

Jaysus, built in 2000 and you have an open fire from then?? :eek:
    You have a gravity system? Sounds like a heat pump might have suited if its not draft or cold, although Id want it airtight properly.

Dont think those involved are too worried whether the wind blows or not, chasing subsidies

:( my christ,

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Eucalyptus trees set fire to half of Portugal recently. Absolutely awful idea having those things here.

Shouldnt really be bringing in non native species and from what I read earlier, it seems cutting down trees planted on cut raised bog is the first thing to do.
    IMO carbon capture to hold/fix carbon is only neutral if anything being removed to burn in stoves is also replaced, so it would need to be an ongoing project indefinitely. At some point, you either run out of marginal land to plant on (shoudnt offset farming land) so subsidies should only for land thats not arable OR you are going to reach a limit how much you can supply, as turning wood into pellets isn't carbon neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Why they have to say the majority of people in that town was black? Didn't got the connection between the factory and the racial make up of the town and its not the first united states video that I see they doing this.
    saabsaab wrote: »

Everywhere in this country is very windy almost all year its the biggest natural resource of this island.

Why they have to say the majority of people in that town was black? Didn't got the connection between the factory and the racial make up of the town and its not the first united states video that I see they doing this.

Its a far-left political activist site masquerading as a "news outlet", I'm just surprised they didn't somehow blame Trump for it. However discounting the obvious race baiting they do show up the obvious hypocrisy of this "Green" fuel of wood pellets for the masses, it would be better for the environment for these people to burn fossil fuel and it wouldn't destroy vast swatches of forest which may never be replanted or allowed regenerate again.

Probably similar to what people were saying around the country when BnaM was set up

Everywhere in this country is very windy almost all year its the biggest natural resource of this island.

I'm on the Northwest coast, when it gets cold theres no wind theres 13 turbines on a hillside that are static as often as they are turning

Its a far-left political activist site masquerading as a "news outlet", I'm just surprised they didn't somehow blame Trump for it. However discounting the obvious race baiting they do show up the obvious hypocrisy of this "Green" fuel of wood pellets for the masses, it would be better for the environment for these people to burn fossil fuel and it wouldn't destroy vast swatches of forest which may never be replanted or allowed regenerate again.

Vice hasnt been left in a long time.

Forest can be regrown and replanted so thats nonsense to say "maybe" it wont.
    Fossil fuels will definitely run out no question

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Probably similar to what people were saying around the country when BnaM was set up

Turf was always a source of fuel, BNM would have been an industrialisation of the process and subsidies and PSO levies would have been thin on the ground back then

Pakistan has enough coal reserves to supply world demand for 400years, f##k knows how much gas reserves are under Siberia, Technology advances will make smaller oil deposits viable, the whole Luddite approach of the anti-fossil lobby is bizarre

• Advertisement

Turf was always a source of fuel, BNM would have been an industrialisation of the process and subsidies and PSO levies would have been thin on the ground back then

Nothing but honest hard working men taking a fair wage with no government subsidies Im sure

It's privately owned land, those people sold the logging for a quick buck, very little if any will be replanted, if left alone it will eventually regenerate back into forest, the danger is the land is reclaimed into farmland the forest lost forever.

Thats not accurate or even close, it is not a viable resource sufficient to put down turbines willy nilly that arent going to produce electricity.
    There are some locations that are viable, where its windy a lot of the year.
    There is no silver bullet solution, aside from the fact, wind turbines have a useful life, until measures are brought in to calculate the WHOLE cost or even how to recycle the non metal components (blades), unless their whole impact (co2) output (electric power) and savings (cost) is less than what it costs to produce electricity consistently and as efficiently by other means, we would just be kidding ourselves that windpower is the be all and end all and viable all over this island.

It is very likely always going to have to be a mix of renewables AND fossil fuels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

People are already bulk buying briquettes! :D

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'm sure they can use toilet paper to start the briquette fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

That's really adding fuel to the fire.

Well Gas also has a large initial outlay, and NO, not the same price,and heat pumps are significantly more efficient, with insulation/airtightness/MVHR, could cost you the same to run the electric consumption for a fridge once paid off, payoff time depends on other factors, but lets say 8-10, even 15years, then exceptionally cheap to run all your heating needs, look up Passiv Haus.

I'm not going to spend my entire evening reformatting your post but this is a good example of the nonsense. It works IF you also X and Y and Z and J and K. Those things can all be done without the heatpumps so add that all to the cost.
    I personally would have the heating off for about 7 months a year. I could get all my heating from crappy electric heaters for a under a grand a year. Yet if I'm building a house I'm supposed to spend €12k+ on something that'll be idle for most of the year and will never cover the cost. Complete nonsense.
    I'm currently living in a draughty old rental house and got a 2 month electricity bill, 6 weeks of which I was using electric fan heaters as my only heat source (November and December). Total bill was under €180 quid. They can **** off with heat pumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Regarding restoring the wetlands, is it possible to artificially support that, if there is location with the right conditions, can you grow an appropriate plant material on one hand to store carbon/the other to cut and place in bogs to be subject to the processes that create bogs? is it possible to build them up with bio matter? if it is possible, it would seem to take generations, but it might assist in providing employment without drastically scaling back the workforce and the shock effects of that.

Boglands are complex bio-chemical systems in themselves that depend on a very specific range of environmental conditions . It has been calculated that peat deposition and buildup is in the order of just 1 mm per year.

We're going to be waiting awhile for peatland to reestablish even with the best intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

gozunda wrote: »
    Boglands are complex bio-chemical systems in themselves that depend on a very specific range of environmental conditions . It has been calculated that peat deposition and buildup is in the order of just 1 mm per year.

We're going to be waiting awhile for peatland to reestablish even with the best intentions.

I'll be happy if I can pass on a couple of centimetres of new bog to my children before I shuffle off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Of course they are! Must fill up one of my sheds with them before they run out with all the panic.

I'm not going to spend my entire evening reformatting your post but this is a good example of the nonsense. It works IF you also X and Y and Z and J and K. Those things can all be done without the heatpumps so add that all to the cost.
    I personally would have the heating off for about 7 months a year. I could get all my heating from crappy electric heaters for a under a grand a year. Yet if I'm building a house I'm supposed to spend €12k+ on something that'll be idle for most of the year and will never cover the cost. Complete nonsense.
    I'm currently living in a draughty old rental house and got a 2 month electricity bill, 6 weeks of which I was using electric fan heaters as my only heat source (November and December). Total bill was under €180 quid. They can **** off with heat pumps.

Whats worse about you not knowing what you're talking about is you dont even realise it, and yet you admit to living in a draughty old house, so you admit you have to be losing heat which is wasting money but complain about alternatives?

Do you also have cold showers for 7 months of the year too? or do you just not have any other heating/electricity costs?

Do you know what COP is? you are paying full whack for every kwh of electricity you consume with your "electric heaters", with heat pumps if the Coefficient of Performance of 3.5 you get 3.5kwh for the cost of every 1kwh

I find it hard to believe you have those heaters on all the time, even if set using a stat. I dont think most people are going to be as happy as you to

have cold showers and no heat as they get older, each to their own I suppose.

You arent going to get an efficient alternative for nothing, so there is going to be a payback, no set up comes with zero costs, either initial outlay or some maintenance.

Until it is determined what any individual house is going to need to heat the spaces and what the hot water demand is going to be, its not going to be possible to tell when that would break even or what the ongoing costs would be, but done right, overall it will work out cheaper.
    Heat pumps do need to be used in a certain set up, either built from scratch or retrofitted, but its possible to break even and end up with lower running costs.
    Bury your head in the sand if you want

Whats worse about you not knowing what you're talking about is you dont even realise it, and yet you admit to living in a draughty old house, so you admit you have to be losing heat which is wasting money but complain about alternatives?
    Yeah I'll get onto the landlord now.
    I'm not complaining about the house being draughty, my entire point is that even in a draughty house I need to spend very little on heating.
    Do you also have cold showers for 7 months of the year too? or do you just not have any other heating/electricity costs?
    Electric shower, sorry, let me add a fiver a month.
    Do you know what COP is? you are paying full whack for every kwh of electricity you consume with your "electric heaters", with heat pumps if the Coefficient of Performance of 3.5 you get 3.5kwh for the cost of every 1kwh
    Bord Gais is 5.6c per kWh
    3.5 times that is 19.6c per kWH. Wow! Such savings.
    I find it hard to believe you have those heaters on all the time, even if set using a stat. I dont think most people are going to be as happy as you to
    Good for you, and good for them. Would be nice to have a choice.
    You arent going to get an efficient alternative for nothing, so there is going to be a payback, no set up comes with zero costs, either initial outlay or some maintenance.

Until it is determined what any individual house is going to need to heat the spaces and what the hot water demand is going to be, its not going to be possible to tell when that would break even or what the ongoing costs would be, but done right, overall it will work out cheaper.
    Heat pumps do need to be used in a certain set up, either built from scratch or retrofitted, but its possible to break even and end up with lower running costs.
    Bury your head in the sand if you want
    "There's no way to know, but it will happen."
    "It's possibly, but it will definitely happen."
    Just a couple of contradictions you've put in there.
    I've got my numbers and my usage worked out. I've started using the gas more recently, not been using the electric heaters as it happens and at 20 quid per week (and now zero electric heating) the house is nice and comfortable for me, even in the middle of the coldest week of the year we just had.
    I only really mentioned the ****ty electric heaters as even though they're the most expensive way to heat a place the payback time on a heatpump would be the rest of my life.

Yeah I'll get onto the landlord now.
    I'm not complaining about the house being draughty, my entire point is that even in a draughty house I need to spend very little on heating.

Electric shower, sorry, let me add a fiver a month.

Bord Gais is 5.6c per kWh
    3.5 times that is 19.6c per kWH. Wow! Such savings.

Good for you, and good for them. Would be nice to have a choice.

"There's no way to know, but it will happen."
    "It's possibly, but it will definitely happen."
    Just a couple of contradictions you've put in there.
    I've got my numbers and my usage worked out. I've started using the gas more recently, not been using the electric heaters as it happens and at 20 quid per week (and now zero electric heating) the house is nice and comfortable for me, even in the middle of the coldest week of the year we just had.
    I only really mentioned the ****ty electric heaters as even though they're the most expensive way to heat a place the payback time on a heatpump would be the rest of my life.

Well, its not my problem or fault, Id say its not even your landlords fault
    they cant sort out the draughts and bar heaters.

You can highlight only selected bits in my post to suit a response you have in mind.

Id say its obvious it needs to be calculated what the demand is then payback period can be determined.

Youve no interest or have an ability to avail so why have a go at something you dont know or are even interested in, you sound annoyed you cant avail of something better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

josip wrote: »
    I'll be happy if I can pass on a couple of centimetres of new bog to my children before I shuffle off.

Well I don't disagree but from current research it looks like we can only expect successful peat regrowth to take place in 30–40% of cutover peatlands.

I believe it may not quite be the panacea we would like it to be.

Jesus Christ. My point was that even in a draughty house it's cheap for me to stay warm.
    You can highlight only selected bits in my post to suit a response you have in mind.
    If you quoted my post properly in the first instance I wouldn't need to.
    Id say its obvious it needs to be calculated what the demand is then payback period can be determined.
    And if the payback period is longer than the lifetime of the heatpump?
    Youve no interest or have an ability to avail so why have a go at something you dont know or are even interested in, you sound annoyed you cant avail of something better.
    For me anything is better than a heatpump as things stand. So yeah, I'll be annoyed if I'm forced to put one in in the future if they still don't make economic sense.

The capital costs alone of a heatpump (before insulation) are more than what I would spend on heating for 15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Enviro-preachyness is strong in that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They actually looked into the viability of biomass
    They discovered they would have to import the bulk of it to keep the plants producing electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

To be honest I will miss the day in the bog turning, footing or taking it out when it all finally comes to an end. Now I will admit to dragging my heals and complaining whenever I was asked to go there. But It was a big part of the rural life in my parts and throughout countryside. The self sufficiency in fuel was great back in the day and we always had a can of cider at the side of the bank when the final jog was out. Good memories ❤️
    Most of the commercial bogs where I am now are basically cut away but there would still be a fair bit of the blanket bog on the hills. This stuff was never viable to cut as it was never more than a foot and a half deep. You might get the odd stretch where you could get 5 or 10 hoppers out but that's all.
    I can tell a lot of the posters hammering the environmental stuff on what should be a thread about memories have never seen the benifits it gave to small communities throughout the land. They harp on about air to water systems which are sod all good with the housing stock we have up until early 2000s. Jesus try and imagine converting bungalow housing stock from the 80s and the cost that would incur alone. I think some guys and gals have to get of this crusade to stop all peat usage and accept that some amount of turf use has to be tolerated over the next 30 years while the last of the older generations pass on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

I have a new house,.three years old, 2400 sq ft, very well insulated , and the usual air tightness stuff that's in all houses now. But unlike most people these days I went with an oil boiler as opposed to a heat pump. Use ~600-700 litres of oil a year for heat and hot water. Installation was 10k cheaper than an heat pump. Priced both at the time. Bought oil for 38c last year. Cheaper than any heat pump for the year. Without even thoughts of the payback period on the installation.Expected life of a heat pump is ~12-15 years. Then your back for a good rodgering again. The efficiency you are quoting are not the efficiencies these units give during cold weather when you actually need them most. Like the week before last. When a house is insulated well you don't need a elaborate and expensive set up to heat it. People thinking heat pumps are economical in well insulated , air tight houses are blinded by the real contributor, the insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

beerguts wrote: »
    To be honest I will miss the day in the bog turning, footing or taking it out when it all finally comes to an end. Now I will admit to dragging my heals and complaining whenever I was asked to go there. But It was a big part of the rural life in my parts and throughout countryside. The self sufficiency in fuel was great back in the day and we always had a can of cider at the side of the bank when the final jog was out. Good memories ❤️
    Most of the commercial bogs where I am now are basically cut away but there would still be a fair bit of the blanket bog on the hills. This stuff was never viable to cut as it was never more than a foot and a half deep. You might get the odd stretch where you could get 5 or 10 hoppers out but that's all.
    I can tell a lot of the posters hammering the environmental stuff on what should be a thread about memories have never seen the benifits it gave to small communities throughout the land. They harp on about air to water systems which are sod all good with the housing stock we have up until early 2000s. Jesus try and imagine converting bungalow housing stock from the 80s and the cost that would incur alone. I think some guys and gals have to get of this crusade to stop all peat usage and accept that some amount of turf use has to be tolerated over the next 30 years while the last of the older generations pass on.

Just a thought on the viability of converting old housing stock for elderly people.

In my experience most of the elderly turf users already have a shed to store it in.

Would it be more cost effective to just subsidise a load of good firewood delivered to their shed once a year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement